Study: Romantic comedies can save your marriage

Study: Rom-Coms Can Save Your Marriage

When it comes to Valentine's Day, many look for flashy gifts to impress their significant others -- but a new study found that the secret to a good marriage is actually staying at home and watching a romantic comedy.

The study involved 174 couples. Daily Mail says researchers discovered that just watching romantic comedies and then talking about them reduced the divorce rate from 24 percent to 11 percent in the first three years of marriage.

Turns out the key was to watch movies where love is more of a process, like 'Two for the Road' or 'Yours, Mine and Ours.'

So make sure to break out those romantic movies on the 14th, but don't skimp on the flowers ... just in case your significant other didn't hear about this study.

Darryl Ehlers February 05 2014 at 11:46 AM

Hi Folks If your marriage is on the rocks ,I suggest a seperation long enought to let you look at your self. You are both wrong no one is perfect and you blame the other for your short comings. Devorce does not answere it especialy if children is in the circle. Wait to know if he or she is bad bagage. Do not bad mouth the other, putting the other down only makes you look bad, just let it ride. You are just mad that it fell apart and blaming the other is just your excuse. Love is beautiful if you let it bloom. We all need someone to hold and talk to To bicker you are the almighty is false you are not GOD
Have A Good Day Pilgram Darryl Ehlers

Charlene February 05 2014 at 10:17 AM

At the beginning, we exchanged candy/flowers and always a card. I can tell my husband takes a while to pick out the right card. I've kept them all. Most of our anniversaries have been a nice dinner and a movie. We don't mind if we go to a fast food if the line at the other restaurant is an hour long. Don't make things such a big deal. If plans get changed; Improvise. It's the fact that you are doing something together. Surprises are nice. One anniversary my husband told me to pack clothes for a night. Didn't say another word. We ended up staying at a fancy hotel in town! Room service. No annoying phone calls. Friends thought we were out of town. Plus since 'cable' TV was new about then and we didn't have it yet at our home, we got to watch a movie, too. Time spent together. Don't ask your spouse to spend a ridiculous amount of money on a gift. (Get a job and buy it yourself. But agree with your spouse if you both can afford it before you buy it.) On our 25th, we agreed to exchange cards with a letter in them telling each other how much we felt about ach other. Thanking each other for the years. Putting in some details. We exchanged them at dinner. I think that's been one of the best. And for those who get candy. Don't do that thing where you think your husband/boyfriend thinks you like candy because he thinks you are fat. I just think that analogy is just plain stupid. I think men just get overwelmed when they walk in the store and there is candy EVERYWHERE! After all; how long has the saying been going on: "Sweets for the sweet"?

louabbot February 05 2014 at 10:00 AM

We were splitting up, so we watched “Love Actually,” and decided not to split. Then we watched “I hope They Serve Beer in Hell,” and she ran out of my house and vowed never to return!

mvmiranda February 05 2014 at 8:32 AM

Total nonsense! Was there a control group? Do we know the effect of watching and then talking about a murder mystery is? Anything that couples do together and then talk about is likely to bring them closer.

Amanda M. February 05 2014 at 8:15 AM

...But I'm a woman and I hate romantic comedies. :|

louabbot Amanda M. February 05 2014 at 10:02 AM

Will you marry me?

patrick douglass February 05 2014 at 12:35 PM

THIS IS TOTTALLLYYY TRUE

I SPEAK FROM MY HEART AND EXPERIANCE AND THE MOVIE IS ( 50 YEARS )

MR LUCKY (c. grant&lorane day) and THE DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES & C.GRANT & D. KERR

MOVIE the name of that one slips my pie brain, but its a tear jerker comedy drama flick

dickn2000b patrick douglass February 05 2014 at 1:22 PM

Uuuuhhhh...Excuse me but the movie The Days of Wine and Roses was hardly a romantic comedy. It was about alcoholism, and it did not have a happy ending. And it starred Jack Lemmon and Lee Remick, not Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr. You know Google would have shown you this had you bothered to look it up.

bobrang94 patrick douglass February 05 2014 at 2:04 PM

I agree Days of WIne and Roses not comedy. The C Grant-D Kerr she was referring to was An Affair to Remember. It just wasn't clear.

Tommy Boy February 05 2014 at 11:19 AM

Such bullshit...!!

tonkatl2 February 05 2014 at 10:15 AM

Movie : FIREPROOF !!!!

mstienlee tonkatl2 February 05 2014 at 11:25 AM

Do you know why they refused to list Fireproof, do you?

Bandi February 05 2014 at 12:30 PM

I hate Chick Flicks and I have been married to the same woman for 48 years.

Sandy Walters February 05 2014 at 11:55 AM

Better yet, watch American Hustle!