New national movement to provide college scholarships to immigrant students

New National Movement to Provide College Scholarships to Immigrants

A new national movement is being formed, and you'll probably be hearing a lot about it soon. Graham Holdings Company CEO Donald E. Graham, Democratic activist and philanthropist Henry R. Muñoz III and former U.S. Secretary of Commerce Carlos Gutierrez are starting TheDream.US, a program that will give college scholarships to over 2,000 highly motivated, low-income DREAMers so they can graduate with career-ready college degrees.

Because these undocumented immigrant students are unable to apply for federal financial aid to support their education, these three founders are building a fund that will allow them to do so. Of the DREAMers, Graham said, "They want an education, and many want the chance to be of service to others. But they often face countless roadblocks to college achievement. With support from our partner institutions and from civic leaders across the country, TheDream.US is building a new movement to remove these roadblocks and make higher education a reality for thousands of undocumented immigrants."

They've already raised more than $25 million for the program -- and 39 students have already received scholarships. The money they receive will cover up to 100% of a student's total cost of tuition, fees and books.

To learn more or get involved, visit TheDream.US!

betz February 04 2014 at 6:39 PM

I feel for these kids but we first must take care of born in AMERICA FOLKS who need our attention and help -- we have disabled vets and their families who should get dibs if there is money . We have tons of folks who lost homes and jobs because of bankers who cheated an stole folks hard worked for dreams. MY own son work many years to provide for his family then the building /construction fell and he now lives out of his truck and scrapes to find work to pay for the child support his ex is demanding now that she cant live like she was used too. When I was a single mom. my children never expected a free ride to college. they worked while in highschool. I cleaned houses, took in ironing,I did many stressful jobs to support my children and they earned scholarships with long study hours , perseverance, took on special projects offered, earning good grades and also school honors -- i was, and am very proud of who they are ---------these children should do the same--- hard work makes a strong person -------Charity should start where it is DESPEREATELY NEEDEDy at home we need o fix our own

flashacl February 04 2014 at 6:07 PM

another dumb idea--next our government will jump on this program---I believe our college students and graduates are smart enough to fill current jobs---another handout--if these guys are so rich--let them pay it all---I've lived here all my life and I've never received any free schooling--my parents paid through taxes and I paid outtta pocket for my college

gbar879 February 04 2014 at 6:07 PM

Yet thousands of middle class white AMERICAN students can't get a dime of aid.

Walt gbar879 February 04 2014 at 6:10 PM

Haven't you been listening to the libs? White Americans are all racists. We do not deserve any benefits. Where is this new money coming from? Not from the NAACP.

Roy Walt February 04 2014 at 6:17 PM

No but we pay all the taxes for them to throw away

Flag +3 rate up
tanya.townsend gbar879 February 05 2014 at 3:04 PM

It's not just middle class Whites who can't get a dime from our Government. Middle Class African American's can't get it either. Worst of all, the low income Americans can't get any type of financial assistance. These illegals can get help at the drop of a hat, minus all the hassle.

Vincent S Scherr February 04 2014 at 6:03 PM

once again, those criminals that entered our country illegally are getting something handed to them on a silver platter. Yet, those college students that are American citizens have to go into debt to finance their education. The whole lot of them should be kicked out of our country until they learn how to apply for citizenship like my ancesters did.

carjojen February 04 2014 at 6:00 PM

If there is so much money for scholarships, shouldn't they be awarded to "legal" students. What other country would do this? If American students or non students entered another country illegally what freebies would that country give them. These kinds of programs make me sick to my stomach. This is disgraceful.

SPQR February 04 2014 at 5:59 PM

Maybe Bill Gates and and Warren Buffet will start something like this for American citizens ...? LOL

find1009 February 04 2014 at 5:57 PM

What about the American students who have gone to school and is now paying back loans. My son who went to law school is now $100k in debt. My husband and I are still paying for his undergrad degree. We got no money because we were a two working family household. Now I have been unemployed for over 5 years and we still have to pay. I am sympathetic to their plight, but we should take care of our own children first.

lfurlong17 find1009 February 04 2014 at 6:37 PM

Well said.

Mitch Welch February 04 2014 at 5:53 PM

Couldn't this turn in to aiding and abetting illegal immigration? Obama's "get out of jail" free card only last two years. What happens when it expires and/or we get a president that feels differently on the issue.

raponda February 04 2014 at 5:51 PM

this should be prohibited, not encouraged nor lauded, by the feds

Hey Angie! February 04 2014 at 5:51 PM

How about the children and grandchildren of immigrants who have worked their whole lives and can't afford to pay for their childrens college. Does that count??

gbar879 Hey Angie! February 04 2014 at 6:09 PM

Nope, if you do things legally you are SOL.