AOL.com
AOL.com
AOL.com

Marbles that belonged to Anne Frank rediscovered

Madame Tussauds Vienna Unveils Anne Frank Wax Figure
AMSTERDAM (AP) - Shortly before Anne Frank and her family went into hiding from the Nazis, she gave some of her toys to a non-Jewish neighborhood girlfriend for safekeeping. The Anne Frank House Museum says the toys have now been recovered and Anne's tin of marbles will go on display for the first time this week at an art gallery in Rotterdam.

The neighbor, Toosje Kupers, kept the marbles along with a tea set and a book. When Kupers was interviewed by the Museum in 2009, she realized the commonplace items would be of historical interest and donated them to the Museum.

Museum spokeswoman Annemarie Bekkers said Tuesday that Frank was one of many Jewish children who gave away toys before being deported and dying in the Holocaust.

More From You

38 Comments
*0 / 3000 Character Maximum
Filter by:
yvosimons February 05 2014 at 9:31 AM

Do you know there is an Anne Frank Center in New York City? A partner of the Anne Frank House in Amsterdam. They have a wonderful exhibition, with authentic materials from the House, and a simulation of the room. Nice place to visit when in New York.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
diane February 05 2014 at 9:00 AM

Anne Frank's house is in Amsterdam. Why wouln't they put her special belongings there?

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
Joe February 05 2014 at 8:27 AM

If you are creating a "bucket list" the Anne Frank Museum House has to be on it; an absolutely awe-inspiring experience!!!

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
p_bozzi1 February 05 2014 at 7:51 AM

I don't want to travel, I don't like it. If I did want to travel anywhere, it would be the Anne Frank House Museum.
I went to the Holocaust Museum last year in my area, only one Anne Frank section, it pissed me off.
I went there specifically for her. That was a waste of money.
I mean the other information about the situation was sad, but still.

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
brucemar1960 February 05 2014 at 7:43 AM

What's the difference between Anne Frank and Hamas a leftist gargoyle from the Gaza flotilla movement once asked me. I replied one was human.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
angela.cleghorn February 05 2014 at 12:27 AM

I HAVE ALWAYS THOUGHT ANNE FRANK WAS AMAZING AND ROSE ABOVE THE DIRE CIRCUMSTANCES SHE WAS PLACED IN-HER LIFE AND DEATH ARE AN INSPIRATION AND SHE WAS A DAUNTLESS FEARLESS PERSON WHO WAS KILLED BY COWARDICE.

Reply Flag as Abusive +4 rate up rate down
1 reply to angela.cleghorn's comment
Watts Up! February 05 2014 at 12:54 AM

You leave me speechless; nothing more to add, I'm with you and feel exactly what you mean.

Reply Flag as Abusive +2 rate up rate down
Johnny February 04 2014 at 11:53 PM

thats a great thing to hear.

Reply Flag as Abusive +3 rate up rate down
Chuck&Helen February 04 2014 at 11:45 PM

What a tragic event in German history.

Reply Flag as Abusive +3 rate up rate down
tony February 04 2014 at 10:54 PM

Im lost in here. Cant connect.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
Jamel February 04 2014 at 10:33 PM

Wow, Anne Franks was really a special person who had to suffer at the hands of evil doers just because she was Jewish. Reminds me of the Atrocities of African American Slavery on the soil of America. I echo Alissa's words, imagine what the many bright, spirited young black slaves could have accomplished had they survived and lived to adulthood. The things people suffer because of who God made them.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down