AOL.com
AOL.com
AOL.com

Man battles HOA over Lady Liberty statue

Man Battles Homeowner's Association Over Lady Liberty Statue

A Florida man is refusing to remove a seven-foot Statue of Liberty replica on his front lawn.

Lon Neuville says he put the statue up in October before he had filled out an application with the HOA. He later got approval in December, which prompted him to bolt down the statue. But in January, the HOA said the approval letter was an error.

When he was told he had two weeks to remove Lady Liberty, he got a lawyer.

Looks like he's holding the torch on this one. He told WOFL his lawyer's stance:

'He sees no provision in the HOA laws or rules or whatever they call it, for approving something, and then at a later date, saying 'We issued the approval in error.''

The HOA said the association's governing documents do not permit statues outside of homes -- and that's not the only problem.

'The president of the HOA says the original application failed to mention the statue is wired for electricity, so it failed an inspection.'

The homeowner says his neighbors aren't complaining and some people in the area have even said they like it.

'The statue is going no where. It's staying. I don't care what it costs me.'

It's all a bit ironic, isn't it? He has already spent $1,000 dollars in lawyers' fees and continues to stand up for his 'lady.'

More From You

1124 Comments
*0 / 3000 Character Maximum
Filter by:
cincyburb01 February 09 2014 at 12:45 AM

Just tell the HOA that the statue is a man dressed up as a Lady Liberty. Then he will have the ACLU, GLAAD, and all the other gay support groups run to his side. Everyone knows the ACLU will never move to help a straight, white conservative guy.

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
Dave February 09 2014 at 12:25 AM

That small light could be powered with a small Solar unit that could not even be seen from the street. It would light up all night and not be connected to the Grid. Just a thought

Reply Flag as Abusive -1 rate up rate down
Dave February 09 2014 at 12:16 AM

Just make it solar power

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
myanich49 February 08 2014 at 11:49 PM

I have owned three homes....I told he real estate agent....no HOA.....no matter how beautifull
or what a bargain the house was.....I will never have a group of people over see how I run
my home.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
jan fritz February 08 2014 at 11:26 PM

HOA's, in my opinion should be illeagal. the concept of an agreement between a like-minded group of people to preserve a tranquil and serenic atmosphere in a neighborhood while preserving property values seems at first glance a good idea. The key words here are like-minded. I would like for a minite to present a short list of like-minded people. churches, vegitarians, jews, rednecks, blacks, retirees, familys, unmarried parents, blind, deaf, professionall, tradesmen, artists,--well,you get the scenario. We have many laws on the books thet deal with what is acceptable and what is not. Building codes, state and local ordenances that cover how high the grass can be to where you can park your car. The last thing in the world that we need is yet another group of "Well Meaning People" imposing there ideas of what is acceptable and what is not on others. We have fought wars with others and each other in an to attempt to have the right to impose our will on others. This amounts to the "My way or the Highway" syndrome of an egotistic ass. I firmly believe in the concept of life liberty and the pursuit of happiness. For goodness sake let the poor man have his statue.

Reply Flag as Abusive -3 rate up rate down
1 reply to jan fritz's comment
KEVIN February 09 2014 at 10:02 AM

If you don't agree with HOA's then don't buy a home in one of those kinds of communities DUH!!!!

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
r442w30 February 08 2014 at 11:20 PM

I would much rather have lady liberty to look at than the uncovered sand box and trampoline I have to stare at each and everyday out my back yard into the neighbors yard . All due to the stupid HOA laws in my neighborhood. I guess the $540 I pay for the playground and swimming pool aren't enough for the kiddies. I can't wait for spring I'm selling and getting out. No more HOA for me.

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
belldn3 February 08 2014 at 11:20 PM

Just silly.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
neohiocop1 February 08 2014 at 11:04 PM

Yes he did sign a doccument toabide by the docs.However they approved it weather by mistake or not. They are stuck with that mistake. That I would put money on. It's happened here and they ended up eating their docs.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
1 reply to neohiocop1's comment
eroth57 February 09 2014 at 3:44 AM

Florida has horrendous HOA laws that give extreme power to these organizations. The reason is that Florida has so many HOA's. This incident takes place in Florida so I wonder how long his statute will last. A front yard in a planned unit development, as they call them in Florida, may not be the place for a replica of the Statute of Liberty. They have one in Las Vegas on the strip but that is different.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
me February 08 2014 at 11:02 PM

Probably more to this. No doubt someone complained that they were offended by this. I have my suspicions what religion and what part of the world they might be from but have no proof. The same group that is attempting to take away the freedoms of the citizens of the United States.

Reply Flag as Abusive +2 rate up rate down
neohiocop1 February 08 2014 at 11:01 PM

Fight em till the end, your in the right. I served on our HOA Master Board and they are wrong. Have the people that serve on these boards need to get a life.

Reply Flag as Abusive -2 rate up rate down
1 reply to neohiocop1's comment
J E KOLASH February 08 2014 at 11:13 PM

They have a life ..it's to make residents lives miserable..

Reply Flag as Abusive -1 rate up rate down