Dr. Phil shows his softer side

Dr. Phil's First Valentine Gift

Dr. Phil is known for his tough love on TV, but in real life he's actually a big softie with a good sense of humor.

He explains that decades ago, he and future wife Robin McGraw were totally broke. When their first Valentine's Day together rolled around, he wasn't sure he could afford a great gift.

Then, he saw her eyeing a crafts project for a pillow in a local hobby store. 'It was like $9,' he explains, 'but I was able to get it, and so I took it and hid it in a field and made her go on a scavenger hunt and find it. She was tickled to death.'

Dr. Phil also opened up about what it was like to get recognized for the very first time ... and when being recognized goes all wrong. Recently, three women came up to him and made a huge fuss. Only after they screamed 'it's Dabney Coleman' did he realize that they were a tad confused.

He took photos with them anyway ... and signed 'Dabney Coleman' on everything.

swidorskycarpet February 08 2014 at 5:53 PM

Dr. Phil completed all the education for a Ph. D. He doesn't hold a license. Whenever there is a case on his show that seems to need true psychological eval or advice he says he talked to his advisory board. My guess... psychs that hold a license that can do or recommend things he is not allowed to legally do.

phil swidorskycarpet February 08 2014 at 7:09 PM

...now just tell me...WHY would Dr. Phil, who holds an actual Doctorate,...wish to become licensed as a psychologist in ANY state? Why would he need to answer to some state board of people who make a pittance of his salary? Dr. Phil, is entertainment. The guy is good at what he does. How many of those complaining would work as hard as he has for his career goals? Go ahead and watch American Idol....and dream. (SHEEPLE)

English February 08 2014 at 9:31 AM

I get confussed , he is a Texas Boy one day and yet I see he played high school football here in Kansas City. maybe it is a flexiblity required for a TV job

Tom February 08 2014 at 9:53 AM

Dr???????? I think NOT

crazy ray Tom February 08 2014 at 10:48 AM

He's as much a Dr. as Sharpton is a Rev.

luckymom1944 February 08 2014 at 9:53 AM

I LOVE WATCHING HIM IF YOU DON'T LIKE HIM DON,T WATCH HIM MAYBE HE JUST HITS HOME TO SOME OF YOU SOME PEOPLE JUST DON'T LIKE TO HERE THE WAY IT IS

Tommy Boy luckymom1944 February 08 2014 at 10:38 AM

..and you sound just like a person who would go to him for help. Try a bottle of whiskey....same effect.

crazy ray luckymom1944 February 08 2014 at 10:47 AM

Look up con man in the dictionary and you'll see his picture.

LaneLane February 08 2014 at 10:33 AM

funny, I think the coolest thing Dr. Phil did for Robin that I remember him sharing was going back to their old house where their kids had their hand prints I believe in the sidewalk and I guess talked the owners into letting him take it out and he gave it to Robin...now thats sweet and what a treasure.

mae13rle11 February 08 2014 at 11:24 AM

Lot of hate on these boards.....If you don't like his show, change the channel !!

Hello Neo! February 08 2014 at 11:28 AM

As I recall, Dr. Phil is not a doctor at all. Not a licensed psychiatrist, psychologist or Ph.d. Yet people call him doctor Phil. The guy is simply a quack of sorts making out to believe he is some doctor. Why not just be honest and call him Therapist Phil. That is what he is. Nothing more. Well he is a goof too.

Barbara February 08 2014 at 9:49 AM

I will never understand why people go on national TV with their personal problems? If your life is so bad get help not TV.

poll100 Barbara February 08 2014 at 11:20 AM

Victim mentality, feel sorry for me, let someone solve my problems I don't have big girl or big boy pants to do it. I'd rather be a victim and take no responsibility for my life. Then I get to go on tv, It used to be Queen for a day now its Dr. Phil.

rymic February 08 2014 at 6:12 PM

Very cute story. Not unlike my husband and myself. You always remember the "tuff" times...

davidb13 February 08 2014 at 3:01 PM