'Antiques Roadshow': $100,000 find in grandma's basement

'Antiques Roadshow': Woman Stumbled Upon $100,000 in Grandma's Basement

On 'Antiques Roadshow,' a woman stumbled upon a piece of American history while cleaning out her grandma's basement.

About 35 years ago, a photo album turned up in her grandma's basement -- and inside were signed photographs of Abraham Lincoln and his cabinet near the end of Lincoln's presidency.

Appraiser Wes Cowan said: 'Abraham Lincoln has always been collectable, his autograph has always been collectable. He signed very, very few photographs. They come up for sale every once in awhile, a signed Abraham Lincoln carte de visite.'

He said the album would be worth between $75,000 and $100,000 at auction. Cowan said that in his 20-plus years on the job, he had never seen an album featuring a president and his full cabinet with every single picture signed. The woman couldn't help but smile at the news.

The appraisal seemed to be right on the money -- there are a few signed Lincoln pictures up for auction on eBay right now going for about that much.

mark and sheri February 05 2014 at 3:56 AM

Wait a minute! What happened to the article about Erin's Law? Dweebs.

dazedboy420 mark and sheri February 05 2014 at 4:55 AM

That what I came on here for..

cesp210 February 04 2014 at 5:16 PM

UNBELIEVABLE FIND...DREAM COME TRUE FOR lINCOLN COLLECTORS....

rapides February 04 2014 at 5:34 PM

fab!!!

YourFtr February 04 2014 at 1:02 PM

Now, this is one Item that should be displayed in an "Internet" Museum......
So that you can 'Flip' throught the pages electronically......
Not locked away in some stuffy archive Museum
where you have to be a scholar to look at it......
If you are Lucky and know the Museum director....

bzzzbayte February 04 2014 at 5:36 PM

HONEST ABE

bambi4318.barbara bzzzbayte February 04 2014 at 6:19 PM

Wish we had more like him.

sutt202 February 04 2014 at 12:42 PM

Take it to Hardcore Pawn. Ashley will give you $800 for it. And then have her security guards kick you out if you tell her it's not enough. Go to Vegas. Chumlee will give you a better deal. Even Rick will give you a better deal.

Martooooon February 04 2014 at 7:08 PM

Try $250,000.00 C'mon you greedy thugs. It's worth at least that!

sunflower4405 February 04 2014 at 7:37 PM

I sure wish my Grandma had left something like that in her basement............but she didn't even have a basement!

Welcome MSGT sunflower4405 February 04 2014 at 7:56 PM

My Grandma had a big basement.........filled with moonshine.

Steveboy Welcome MSGT February 05 2014 at 12:10 AM

DITTO

Flag 0 rate up
ibdoowop sunflower4405 February 04 2014 at 7:57 PM

I inherited bunions from my grandmother and hammer toes from my grandpa.

No money but wonderful memories.

And I had surgery so I am now hammerless and bunion free. I have good insurance. Wish everyone did.

ERNIE CANNON ibdoowop February 04 2014 at 8:09 PM

when obama care goes into full effect.we all will have good insurance

Flag +5 rate up
Penny February 04 2014 at 8:04 PM

My family has lots of heirlooms but none quite as cool as that!

Jack Eisenbraun February 04 2014 at 11:32 AM

That appraisal seems extremely low to me. That's more of a value for a Lincoln autograph, but this one being on a picture makes it even more rare for that era. And it's also not considering that it's not only a Lincoln autograph, but it is part of an album featuring more autographs of his entire cabinet! This is a one of a kind item and I would expect its value should fetch near the million dollar range. It's like comparing a collection of Beatles autographs separately, or all on one piece. This is one historical piece! The value could even go higher considering how collectable Lincoln and Civil War era items are in America. It's impossible to really put a value on it until you see what serious collectors are willing to pay and in this market there are a lot of serious collectors. That appraisal seems like the absolute low end. Especially when comparing it to less significant signed items on eBay. If I was this woman I would expect an even higher payday! It really should be in a museum, but I doubt a museum would pay what it's worth. Anyway, just my opinion.

motorprops Jack Eisenbraun February 04 2014 at 12:15 PM

Asking on ebay is not getting it on ebay

sdshantasi Jack Eisenbraun February 04 2014 at 12:35 PM

From everything I've seen on Antiques Roadshow, they consistently value the major part of a 'collection' (in this case Lincoln) far above the remainder (the Cabinet). Wouldn't be surprising if each person in the Cabinet would be $1000 each.