Weekend update: Seth Meyers signs off 'SNL'

NEW YORK (AP) - Seth Meyers has departed "Saturday Night Live," just weeks before he begins his new job as host of "Late Night."

Meyers co-hosted "Weekend Update" on the NBC sketch-comedy series for eight seasons and was joined for his farewell newscast by "SNL" alumni Amy Poehler, Andy Samberg, Bill Hader and Fred Armisen.

They told Meyers they had come to take him "to the other side."

Meyers called his "SNL" tenure "the job I always wanted." He joined the cast in 2001.

He'll take over at NBC's "Late Night" on Feb. 24.

"SNL" head writer Colin Jost will replace Meyers at the "Weekend Update" anchor desk alongside Cecily Strong. He signs on March 1.

AP February 02 2014 at 9:23 AM

OK, so this means what now? Leno's last Tonight Show is feb 6th, Fallon takes over on the 17th, Meyers doesn't take over Fallon's old spot until the 24th, so will we be getting two hours of Jimmy fallon for a week or what IS NBC planning? Personally, I think NBC is relying far too much on ex-SNL cast members who I wish i felt were more qualified to take over late night there. I didn't care for leno when he first took over when Carson left, but he settled comfortably into that job and to be honest, he has deserved his #1 spot right along (I'd watch Letterman if i liked the guests), but the whole debacle five years ago with moving Jay to 10 pm and putting Conan on The tonight Show was an unmitigated disaster, and while a lot of people blamed leno, it was all Jeff Zucker's idea, and as a result NBC gave Jay his show back and paid Conan $45 million to take a hike. Now Zucker is busy ruining CNN and headline news and taking them so far away from what they once were that a lot of people have stopped watching those channels. I think for me from now on it'll be Letterman and craig Ferguson (I WILL DVR Fallon's first show if the rumors about U2 being the musical guest are true). I'm hoping Leno will make a few visits back to new England to do his standup stuff. I'll go see him for sure!

laugh February 02 2014 at 10:04 AM

Wasn't this all the same angst we heard years ago. Might as well give them a chance. You really have no choice.
I like Fallon, Myers, Letterman and Ferguson so, as usual, I may watch different shows on different nights.

soultosoul01 February 02 2014 at 5:23 PM

I think Louie C.K. would be the ideal candidate for the seat. He has maturity, alot of stand-up experience, his own cable TV series, and a skit from one of the shows where he actually does sit in and competes for the hosting of the Tonight Show with Jerry Seinfeld!

pm0501 soultosoul01 February 02 2014 at 7:23 PM

What will be the house band for the new Tonight Show? Hopefully not Roots!

Dawn February 02 2014 at 7:33 PM

The only reason I've watched SNL lately has been for Seth Meyers and weekend update. Guess I won't have to stay up for it anymore.

alismar1 Dawn February 02 2014 at 7:51 PM

Come on Dawn, watch it for Kate McKinnon, she's hilarios!

Michael February 03 2014 at 8:20 AM

Seth was the main reason I watched the show... I'll sure miss him.

Iselin007 February 02 2014 at 7:40 PM

There were a lot of funny comedians on SNL over the years. They were very skillful the way they pointed blame for a bad economy. Some of them have passed on and will be missed by most of us.

A lot of the comedic actors had been on Second City TV which was a very funny and unique program that once aired here for a while. Monty Python was also one of the funniest shows. many of these people are multi talented. They can sing, dance, tell jokes, do tricks, athletics, and drama as well as play musical instruments.

alismar1 February 02 2014 at 7:54 PM

Melissa McCarthy is a funny person and good actress but last night's show? Not funny at all. Whoever the writers are did not write funny skits at all. I miss the Californians.

alsoartsy February 03 2014 at 12:13 AM

hope cecily improves quickly. her delivery and timing are weak, and it's sometimes difficult to understand her pronunciation. SNL, i think you should have done better!

Sekinu2 February 02 2014 at 1:12 PM

I think SNL was his fit but I don't see him as good enough to have his own late Night talk show. SNL has been bad for years and is getting worse each episode. I think this will hurt SNL, him personally and his talk show cancelled in a year.

lindsay February 02 2014 at 3:57 PM

yea right sits there after so called joke and just sits till they laugh. can take 2 min. of just sittin until someone laughs. later