Punxsutawney Phil through the years

The handlers for groundhog Punxsutawney Phil say he's forecasting six more weeks of what already has felt like a brutally long and cold winter. Pennsylvania's famed furry weatherman emerged from his lair in front of thousands of fans around daybreak Sunday.

Legend has it that if the adorable rodent sees his shadow on Feb. 2, winter will last another month-and-a-half. If he doesn't see it, spring will come early. In reality, Phil's prediction is decided ahead of time by a group called the Inner Circle, whose members don top hats and tuxedos for the annual Groundhog Day ceremony on Gobbler's Knob, the tiny hill in the town for which he's named about 65 miles northeast of Pittsburgh.

Phil's track record is less than reliable. He's only gotten it right just 39 percent of the time since 1887, but it's always fun to take a look back at his predictions through the years.

Is It Time To Get Rid Of Groundhog Day?

Mary M. Revis February 02 2014 at 5:41 PM

LOL I know this little game we play with the groundhog is all in jest, and that in reality... laying a weather prediction at the feet of a rodent is stupid.. having said that and having been through the Arctic blast (as many others in the Nation have) let me just play along here and say in good humor "BITE ME PHIL" *with my finger up* haha.

Sandra Mary M. Revis February 02 2014 at 6:01 PM

Meanwhile Mary, in Washington DC, Phil's bro (taxidermy) is the center of attraction. To funny to see everyone gathered around a faux groundhog....

Marilynn February 02 2014 at 11:44 AM

Oh! Please let him be wrong! I can't stand another six weeks of this cold and snow. I sure wish I still had my place in Florida.

sirlexman February 02 2014 at 11:43 AM

Most of you seem to be overlooking the fact that Punxsutawney (where my mother was from) is atop the Allegheny Plateau (read tundra). As far as Punxsutawney is concerned, there will be six more weeks of winter. If folks in Ohio, or Katmandu, want to base their plans on Phil and his shadow, it says more about the planners than the groundhog.

Liz February 02 2014 at 6:29 PM

WOW!! That's exactly how much winter we have left...... Just saying.

Susan February 02 2014 at 11:42 AM

When I look outside, I see what the weather is.

Jennifer February 02 2014 at 6:30 PM

It's just a cute tradition.

ramrod1130 Jennifer February 02 2014 at 6:37 PM

That's about all it is. Just a guess. But an early spring would be nice. Then I could go fishing.

mcrebel February 02 2014 at 11:41 AM

Give him a break he's 127 years old!

phatpghpa February 02 2014 at 11:37 AM

A groundhog given such an awesome responsibility should at least be addressed by his proper name. Phillip Woodchuck. I hope someone will take heed of this put this into practice.

Glenda and Kenny February 02 2014 at 11:36 AM

it has ben a while sence we had a early spring, i feel sorry for all the people in california, they have hardly any water left in the rivers &lakes are gone!

Prof. Gilpatrick February 02 2014 at 6:31 PM

Just chance would lead to 50% success rate. This is a suggestion that, based on his odds, we expect the reverse. Spring is a'comin!