AOL.com
AOL.com
AOL.com

Punxsutawney Phil through the years

The handlers for groundhog Punxsutawney Phil say he's forecasting six more weeks of what already has felt like a brutally long and cold winter. Pennsylvania's famed furry weatherman emerged from his lair in front of thousands of fans around daybreak Sunday.

Legend has it that if the adorable rodent sees his shadow on Feb. 2, winter will last another month-and-a-half. If he doesn't see it, spring will come early. In reality, Phil's prediction is decided ahead of time by a group called the Inner Circle, whose members don top hats and tuxedos for the annual Groundhog Day ceremony on Gobbler's Knob, the tiny hill in the town for which he's named about 65 miles northeast of Pittsburgh.

Phil's track record is less than reliable. He's only gotten it right just 39 percent of the time since 1887, but it's always fun to take a look back at his predictions through the years.

Is It Time To Get Rid Of Groundhog Day?

More From You

764 Comments
*0 / 3000 Character Maximum
Filter by:
mysacmail13 February 03 2014 at 11:50 AM

I find it hilarious when everyone BLAIMS Punxutawaney will when the article itself says "Legend has it that if the adorable rodent sees his shadow on Feb. 2, winter will last another month-and-a-half. If he doesn't see it, spring will come early. In reality, Phil's prediction is decided ahead of time by a group called the Inner Circle"... shouldn't you people be blaming them instead of the groundhog??

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
waagtod February 03 2014 at 11:47 AM

Here in sunny south Florida it is one of the hottest winters on record. I went to the beach yesterday and NO ONE goes to the beach in the winter, it was 82* and sunny. How was your vacation in the meadowlands?

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
1 reply to waagtod's comment
hccbillandpat February 03 2014 at 11:59 AM

Florida can be described as "HUMBUG"..............HUMIDITY AND BUGS.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
Stopwatch53 February 03 2014 at 10:50 AM

PUNXSUTAWNEY ------ A HARD WORD TO SPELL.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
1 reply to Stopwatch53's comment
Chuck Thiel February 03 2014 at 1:52 PM

So is Blame

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
Stopwatch53 February 03 2014 at 10:46 AM

I GOT MARRIED ON GROUND HOGS DAY , THE HOG CAME OUT OF A HOLE .,AND I GOT INTO ONE .

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
vtmichaelb February 03 2014 at 10:37 AM

"I am a rodent animal, and all these stupid humans actually believe in what I do" Yup that is what it is really thinking! That, and where is my share of the money for this circus?

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
bryanmerrittper2 February 03 2014 at 10:35 AM

He would never make it back down his damn hole if I had been there with my 30-06.......

Reply Flag as Abusive -2 rate up rate down
lbreamer February 03 2014 at 10:09 AM

He's been playing weatherman since 1887? That's one old rodent... LOL He is adorable, though!

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
albertbbruno February 03 2014 at 9:54 AM

the weather today is one more reason he should be in a pot simmering

Reply Flag as Abusive -5 rate up rate down
htlee49 February 03 2014 at 9:47 AM

Everyone needs to lighten up!!! Groundhogs day helps see the end of winter is near. Unlike Obamas term in office!!!

Reply Flag as Abusive +5 rate up rate down
1 reply to htlee49's comment
hccbillandpat February 03 2014 at 12:02 PM

I sure do wish Obama would crawl back in his hole. What a liar.

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
mbrbemt February 03 2014 at 9:21 AM

As I travel the country for work, my reply to anyone who has bad news is "Well, it could be worse. At least you aren't stuck in Illinois". So for most of us, it could be worse this winter to be as cold are we are, & stuck in Illinois,the most corrupt state in the nation. BTW what state is the prsident from?
And it has nothing to do with the fact that I am a die hard born & breead Cheesehead in Wisconsin. Because, after further review, the Bears always have, & always will still suck.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
1 reply to mbrbemt's comment
mysacmail13 February 03 2014 at 11:49 AM

ok. I was born and raised in iowa, but I now currently live in Illinois with my wife, and im gonna tell you right now, that you are an ass by saying the ENTIRE state is corrupt. Your comment is invalid strictly on the fact that neither of us is corrupt and neither of us claim Obama.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down