JK Rowling says 'Harry Potter' ending may be wrong

J.K. Rowling Has Second Thoughts About 'Harry Potter' Ending

LONDON (AP) -- Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling is having second thoughts about having ended the series with heroine Hermione Granger paired up romantically with Ron Weasley.

The hugely successful author tells Wonderland magazine she chose the red-haired Ron for Hermione for very personal reasons having little to do with literature.

She told the magazine she "wrote the Hermione/Ron relationship as a form of wish fulfillment" and said the couple might eventually need relationship counseling.

The soon-to-be published interviewed was reported in The Sunday Times, which also quoted actress Emma Watson, who played Hermione, expressing doubts about the viability of her character's relationship with Ron.

She told the newspaper that many fans doubt Ron can make Hermione happy over time.

Many fans had hoped Harry and Hermione would become a couple.

elviswatermelon February 02 2014 at 2:02 PM

To the people who feel compelled to notify us that these are fictional characters: Well, THANKS, Captain Obvious. If you really have nothing more to contribute to the conversation, then zip it and let the people who are interested in the story discuss it. Seriously, why did you even comment? I guess you decided, "Hey, let's take something people are interested in and sh*t all over it." Newsflash, Brain Trust: People KNOW it's fictional. This is called CONJECTURE.

jybingdownwind February 02 2014 at 4:21 PM

It made sense to me. They had the fiery kind of relationship that Molly and Arthur had, and sons often marry women who reflect some of their mother's traits. My guess is that they worked it out, just as Molly and Arthur did.

toothpick58 jybingdownwind February 02 2014 at 4:39 PM

As an individual I am very insulted that this is on the "News" But as a consumer of entertainment and media I'd say: Personally to me it's more that Ron is not an intellectual match for Hermoine. If you ever dated a moron you'd understand. Granted you don't always have to be a genius but I haven't seen that Ron is very good at being humble when he's being corrected. That coupled with the fact that he's not the brightest star in the galaxy would likely be more than upsetting to someone who loves to have her mind challenged. As fans we are all entitled to our opinions.

tammythun jybingdownwind May 31 2014 at 2:09 AM

Arthur was better looking than Ron! Hermoine could have done better!

SUNFLOWERgirl February 02 2014 at 4:22 PM

I think pairing Ron and Hermione was precious. I don't think Ms. Rowling needs to be second guessing herself. Now the problem was the ACTRESS, Emma Watson was not comfortable kissing the actor Rupert Grint. Too bad, I say. It's your job!

d1anaw SUNFLOWERgirl February 02 2014 at 4:48 PM

I agree. I think it was a good pairing.

digitalsierra SUNFLOWERgirl June 13 2014 at 11:07 PM

I dislike the idea of a Harry Hermoine pairing as it feels like a forced Hollywood ending.

bootsnchaps60 April 09 2014 at 12:27 PM

The couplings were fine. Harry and Hermione were obviously close friends but on an intellectual/magical level. By the last movie they were chafing with each other a bit on those levels , so pairing Hermione with Ron with whom she was not competeing intellectually made sense. Both also had a "normal" family (as opposed to Harry's abusive aunt and uncle). Harry was a celebrity without a normal family life and Ginny connected him to that through her family and helped maintain the friendship among Harry, Ron and Hermione in that context. I read the first and last books and yes the movies left things out. But there's only so much that can fit into a format that younger folks- and some of us seniors- will sit through. Write some more books, JK, these are wrapped up and okay.

bcrnbs2 February 02 2014 at 4:54 PM

gon with the wind author was ask, whyshe never wrote a sequal to the book...
she replys. red butler never went back... he had all of scarlet he wanted...
folks its a book.

Jen St Arneault bcrnbs2 May 29 2014 at 5:15 PM

there is a sequel, it's called Scarlett, where Rhett Butler does come back.

julie_winchester67 Jen St Arneault May 31 2014 at 4:54 AM

"Scarlett" wasn't written by Margaret Mitchell the author of "Gone with the Wind". Margaret Mitchell had no intention of a sequel.

Flag 0 rate up
bulletinboardsn February 02 2014 at 5:00 PM

There was never any chemistry between the two actors so it was a surprise to me that they ended up with each other. Watson had more on screen chemistry with Radcliffe.

iluvmldr February 02 2014 at 6:22 PM

While I think Harry and Hermione would have been the obvious choice as a couple, I like what it says about the potential of male-female friendship. It's great that JJ Rowling thought enough of Hermione to make her smart, courageous and attractive ( in the end at least) and not have to hook up with the captain of the quidditch team to keep herself relevant.

harrypotter.jenna February 02 2014 at 6:50 PM

Ron and Hermione should stay together...they are perfect together

debbiefein February 02 2014 at 6:53 PM

First I want to say that the movie "Kill your darlings" is based on Allen Ginsberg . I knew Allen very well. My uncle (by marriage - he was married to one of my moms sisters - all aunts and uncles have died over the years). was Allans first cousin. Allan was one of the nicest people. With that said I will now talk about Harry Potter. I like the fact that JK Rowling deceived us and made us believe that Harry and Hermione would get together whereas it was Ron she would get together and marry. I really think that Ron and Hermione were meant for one anotherer and I think this is a ploy from the author to get us to read the books she might create in the future concerning Harry. Or not even Harry but a continuation of his friends and their lives. I was very impressed by the fact that certain individuals made their prescence known after they died to give Harry messages on how to conquer his fears, his goals and how to defeat evil

paul February 02 2014 at 7:17 PM

Sounds like the literary Maven of Magic,,, the true Headmaster of Hogwarts,,, is in need of replenishing her financial stability after exploring other genre. Harry became the ultimate Wizard by defeating tom riddle and gaining acceptance from all magical communities. His marriage to Ginny as well as his heritage tied to the Peverell family assures him a place in the pureblood world. The Weasley family welcomes the opportunity to have a muggle born join their family. Changing anything in this magical history would invalidate this author's complete work, not to mention be a travesty of justice to all that Harry Potter has risen above to achieve his current fictional status. Long live Harry Potter just the way he is! As Ron would say concerning J.K. Rowling making changes,,, Completely Mental, That One!