Dylan Farrow resurrects Allen molestation claim

NEW YORK (AP) - Dylan Farrow renewed molestation allegations against Woody Allen, claiming the movie director sexually assaulted her when she was 7 after he and actress Mia Farrow adopted her.

In an open-letter to The New York Times posted online Saturday, Dylan Farrow commented about the 1992 incident. In a letter to op-ed columnist Nicholas Kristof, she said she was moved to speak out because of Hollywood's continued embrace of Allen.

"That he got away with what he did to me haunted me as I grew up," wrote Farrow. "I was stricken with guilt that I had allowed him to be near other little girls."

The New York Times reported that Allen declined comment. Also, representatives for Allen and for former partner Mia Farrow also did not immediately return requests for comment Saturday from The Associated Press. Allen, who attended Saturday night's New York Knicks game, has long maintained his innocence.

In the letter, Dylan Farrow claims that in 1992 at the family's Connecticut home, Allen led her to a "dim, closet-like attic" and "then he sexually assaulted me." Farrow didn't specify Allen's actions, but described other abusive behavior.

Farrow said Allen would have her get in bed with him, and at other times "place his head in my naked lap and breathe in and breathe out."

"For as long as I could remember, my father had been doing things to me that I didn't like," said Farrow. "These things happened so often, so routinely, so skillfully hidden from a mother that would have protected me had she known, that I thought it was normal."

Allen was investigated on child molestation claims for the alleged 1992 incident in Connecticut, but prosecutors elected not to charge him.

The handling of the investigation was criticized after Litchfield County state attorney Frank S. Maco said in a press conference there was "probable cause" to charge Allen, although he chose not to. A disciplinary panel found that Maco may have prejudiced the then-ongoing custody battle between Allen and Mia Farrow by making an accusation without formal charges.

The 1992 allegation came shortly after Allen became involved with Mia Farrow's adopted daughter, Soon-Yi Previn. Allen, then in his mid-50s, was not the adoptive father of Previn, who was about 19 at the time. The two married in 1997 and have two adopted daughters.

Though many fans never forgave Allen for his romance with Previn, the director's career was largely uninterrupted. He has continued to release a new film almost every year, with his latest, "Blue Jasmine," earning three Academy Award nominations, including a screenwriting nomination for Allen.

Dylan Farrow's open-letter was precipitated by Allen being honored at the Golden Globes with the Cecil B. DeMille lifetime achievement award. Allen didn't attend as he largely abstains from awards shows. But during the telecast's tribute, Ronan Farrow tweeted: "Missed the Woody Allen tribute - did they put the part where a woman publicly confirmed he molested her at age 7 before or after Annie Hall?"

Ronan Farrow is the lone biological child of Allen and Mia Farrow, though Farrow has said her former husband Frank Sinatra could be his father. Ronan Farrow is estranged from Allen.

A rebuke followed last week when Robert Weide, director of the PBS "American Masters" documentary on Allen, argued in a lengthy account on the Daily Beast that many were unaware of the facts of Allen's relationship with Previn and that the incident with Dylan Farrow was unproven.

Dylan Farrow, who said she now lives happily married in Florida under another name, urged people not to forget her side of the story and lamented "a world that celebrates her tormenter."

CEW February 02 2014 at 1:05 PM

THE ONLY WAY TO DESCRIBE WOODY ALLEN IS "WOODEN". THIS GUY SLEEPS WITH HIS MAID, MOLESTS HIS CHILD AND THEY THINK HE IS GREAT.
NO CONSCIENCE, NO REMORSE. SEX PREDATOR. "WOODEN WOODEN WOODEN ... "

Tom CEW February 02 2014 at 1:15 PM

And that is how the Hollywood "progressives" live.

Dana February 02 2014 at 12:39 PM

It's simple. Don't go to his movies, don't rent them, don't watch them. Forbid them to be in your home.

liquidwallpaper February 02 2014 at 12:37 PM

Understand that the casting couch was not a myth. There are many skeletons in the closets of many movie companies and their directors , producers, casting directors and any person of influence. I am not anti sematic in any way but their is a truth to the fact that the business is run by Jewish men. They stick together and control almost all of Hollywood. Woody Allen has sins that are overlooked by the movie industry for this reason. If it was a minority he would have been black listed and would have deserved it. Woody Allen should be shunned for sexually abusing his daughter he now made his wife. He is a very sick perverted individual.

SSingActress February 02 2014 at 3:15 PM

That bastard.. I beleive every word from Dylan....this is too widespread and many get away with it, I still remember casting director at UNIVERSAL of all places locking me in his office then trying to get me to have sex with him, when I was still 17 and had been sheltered all my life....I demanded loudly to be allowed to leave, and he offered me a small part in a film, but my agent declined the offer. I feel like throwing up just thinking about how I should have made a police report, so that possibly he would never have been able to touch any other young girl again!!!!

BARBARA February 02 2014 at 12:35 PM

What a horrible failure of American justice!!!!!! No amount of money or fame should excuse the rape of a child!!! he should serve time for the horror and pain that his selfish lust caused that innocent little girl!!!

wnanpooh February 02 2014 at 12:35 PM

I never knowingly watch anything associated with Woody Allen. I avoid anything that this pervert is involved in and I have taught my kids as they grew up to do the same. I did not go into detail with them but I did make it clear he is not a good man for children to be around and because of this we will not do anything that supports him.......including buying or going to his movies.

bdobrin521 February 02 2014 at 3:22 PM

they look like a good and loving pair

fenwaypark9 February 02 2014 at 12:34 PM

Take a Lie Detector Test Woody!

digrpat fenwaypark9 February 02 2014 at 12:35 PM

he did and passed it, mia farrow refused one however

jr1go February 02 2014 at 12:34 PM

this low life sc*m bag was protected and mad a hero by his other low life sc&m bags in the world of hollyweird, they are all garbage and those that make them there heros are dirt bags also.

Vin jr1go February 02 2014 at 12:40 PM

Learn to spell before making such complimentary comment, okay ?

Arturo February 02 2014 at 3:28 PM

I don't think I can change anything but, here is the old say. Only in America.
My advise to him would be, get profesional help.