Weather service debunks rumors of giant snowstorm

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - Meteorologists in the Midwest took to social media on Friday to quell rumors that a winter storm expected to move into the region next week could dump up to 30 inches of snow in some areas.

The National Weather Service's Indianapolis bureau said in Facebook and Twitter messages that predictions that 20 to 30 inches of snow could fall on Indiana and other Midwestern states next Tuesday and Wednesday "are EXTREMELY premature & improbable."

Meteorologist Mike Ryan said none of the forecast models he and his colleagues in Indianapolis have reviewed point to anything like a 2-foot or greater snowfall. He said the Indianapolis office sent the Twitter and Facebook messages because it and other Midwestern weather bureaus have been getting calls from people worried about dire storm predictions that are "rampant" online.

"We wanted to try to alleviate these rumors because the social media network is just kind of running out of control," Ryan said Friday. "Like we said, any snowfall amounts like those people are talking about would really be improbable."

Next week's storm has the potential to bring snow, sleet, freezing rain to Indiana and other states in the Ohio River Valley, but he said it's too early to predict how much will fall and where.

Ryan said that won't be known until early next week when the storm's expected track becomes clearer. Any snowfall projections now would be "highly speculative," he said.

AccuWeather meteorologist Randy Adkins agreed that it's too soon to know what the storm will bring, let alone how much it will dump as it scoots north and east across the central U.S.

"Thirty inches of snow for anyone with this storm system is pretty remote," he said.

AccuWeather's current models show the storm could bring significant snow to a swath including Kansas City, Mo., Des Moines, Madison, Wis., and Chicago. Areas to the south of that, including Indianapolis, appear likely to see a mix of snow, freezing rain and sleet because the storm will pull milder air northward.

vrotonda February 01 2014 at 5:54 PM

We sometimes take things for granted. Think of how many storms go through the Northeast and the road crews do a great job of keeping our roads clear and safe. Not easy to do.

poll1y February 01 2014 at 3:17 PM

Snow is snow and you can't stop, so just roll with the flow

gudtip February 01 2014 at 8:57 PM

they are not always right, they have to deal with many changes, I myself list to different weather report from various areas and I determine if it will be safe enought to go out and drive

Don Lucas February 01 2014 at 4:00 PM

what the hell a guess of 30 inches is no more unbelieveable than the weather mans predictiion of 1 inch when we get 6

Roger Mitchell Don Lucas February 01 2014 at 5:46 PM

a guess of 30 inches!! Heck no! You will get 4 feet of snow

bmwrjw Roger Mitchell February 02 2014 at 12:16 AM

Try a different line. You have already repeated yourself about 10 times too many on this subject.

Flag 0 rate up
wastintimetampa February 01 2014 at 9:04 PM

Where can I get "maps" or "charts" that I can look at without a "forecaster" telling me what to look at ? I'd like to track "it" myself......

ddwalker25 wastintimetampa February 01 2014 at 10:14 PM

Check the National Weather Service. They have maps and projections that you can use to make your own determinations. They even explain how they read the maps to reach some of their conclusions. it is a very useful site.

Lumpy wastintimetampa February 01 2014 at 10:29 PM

I like intellicast, choosing a ZIP code west of me to center the map on an interesting area. Baton Rouge or Houston might work for you, depending on which way the wind is blowing. "Precipitation" under the Forecast pulldown is my favorite.

johnolexa February 01 2014 at 4:54 PM

"EXTREMELY premature & improbable."
Famous last words? lol

Amiee/Patrick February 01 2014 at 1:35 PM

This story is out of Indianapolis. I live about 20 mins west of Indy, but if we have a snow even a third of 30", almost all of the state would shut down. As it is, central Indiana towns and even Indianapolis can barely move 3-5" snows effectively. This area is due a bad storm though. Been many years since Indiana has had a real blizzard. Also, many towns in Indiana are running out of salt for the streets.

ELIZABETH February 01 2014 at 1:32 PM

I've got a two x two x two foot box full of dried beans, 40 jugs of water, and a thermal snow suit. I'm good :)
Just dig me out next spring.

Gg ELIZABETH February 01 2014 at 3:24 PM

please be sure that your suit has proper ventilation.

Barbara February 01 2014 at 1:32 PM

Hold on people, the fuzzy little critter will tell you tomorrow what the weather is gonna do...laffin

skevwe February 01 2014 at 1:23 PM

And that is why I take things from social media with a grains of salt. I wait until the real predictions come out and not something seen on twitter or facebook.