iPhone catches fire in student's pants

iPhone Catches Fire In Student's Pants

A 13-year-old in Maine sustained first- and second-degree burns at school Friday after her iPhone reportedly caught fire in her pants. According to the school's principal, the middle schooler heard a pop and all of a sudden smoke started coming out of her pocket. According to WMTW, several of the girl's classmates and her teacher immediately rushed to her aid with blankets and a fire extinguisher to put out the blaze.

jeanj1954 February 01 2014 at 8:06 PM

DON'T carry your cell phone in your pocket, or in your bra as a lot of ladies do that!

ohkarlos February 01 2014 at 11:48 PM

A simple case of iphonetaneous combustion........just sayin.

bwaller73 February 01 2014 at 11:52 PM

so what does Apple have to say. What does Consumer Reports have on this?

landlhawk bwaller73 February 02 2014 at 12:45 AM

I do not know, but I know that the GPS that I bought comes with this warning. I do not even know what type of battery the IPad has, but I can only go by what I have personnally found out by my GPS, I got for my 11 year old car. I was not using it, and had turned it off waiting until I got to the next rest stop, and I needed a pot holder to put it away. Can you just imagine a cell phone in a dark colored jeans pocket with a lithieum battery that had been in the sun? I do not even know if Apple has a lithieum, but this article brought to mnd the experience I had.

lch

jennifer.lenigh February 01 2014 at 11:57 PM

this scares me sooooo much!

landlhawk jennifer.lenigh February 02 2014 at 12:40 AM

Jennifer,

Not to scare, just to read, keep you thoughts in order. I read everything that comes with whatever I am buying. Also, we have some really great children coming up.

lch

shaybird February 01 2014 at 5:51 PM

So what are the, "experts saying"?

Captain February 02 2014 at 12:37 AM

why does a 13 year old need an iphone while in class? who does she need to call or text? all her classmates are in school.

routeboy February 02 2014 at 1:12 AM

We're becoming a society of cell phone zombies. In the business I'm in I work the area hospitals and I'm constantly getting ran into by nurses, doctors, visitors, etc walking down the halls texting and having complete disregard for anyone around them. A couple of days ago I saw a couple of techs transporting a patient to the ER and they had to stop to keep from hitting a girl walking down the middle of the hall texting. Then she looked pissed because they ask her to move. I agree, why do people think they have to constantly be communicating with someone. I think traffic accidents should include a cell phone investigation and we would probably be amazed at how many people were texting when the wreck occured. I've seen people running down the interstate 70 plus mph, driving with their knees while texting, and a small child or infant be in a car seat in the back seat. It's a shame the society we've become.

Lenny February 01 2014 at 4:45 PM

First one I heard of.

razelldaza February 01 2014 at 4:38 PM

folks need to understand all these great gagets need to breath or they will overheat so think about that kidds now days if you cant push a button or use a mobile device are clueless we are makeing it to easy for them

Kip Krause February 01 2014 at 6:15 PM

why does a person have to store their phone in their back pocket the way these kids sit down they don’t just sit down they fall down, and their pants are tighter than hell. That phone is going through a lot of stress in their back pocket, as tight as their pants are the heat can’t escape and case it to over heat

lawrence.harrell Kip Krause February 01 2014 at 7:04 PM

very stupid comment

Back to School Deal

A new item every day in August
Back to School deal