Google commemorates the start of Black History Month

As February 1st begins Black History Month, our country is reminded of the struggles, successes, trials, and tribulations throughout history and the heroes that emerged throughout the years.

Google commemorated the first of the month by dedicating its Google Doodle to abolitionist, humanitarian, and renowned antislavery activist Harriet Tubman. Check out some historic renditions and dedications to Tubman above and be sure to check out the AP's Interactive Black History Month display.

Craig February 02 2014 at 8:41 AM

How about Chinese-American month, without their labor the railroad may have taken much longer to complete, if completed.

wnagle53 February 02 2014 at 2:49 PM

HMM. When does Irish history month begin ? When does Italian history month begin? When does Jewish history month begin. When does American Indian history month begin? When does Chinese history month begin?
When does lets make up history month begin? Oh sorry. It began yesterday.

mikegotcha123 wnagle53 February 02 2014 at 2:57 PM

I was think the same thing. White history month..Straight pride month. I'm all for it..:)

Linda February 02 2014 at 2:49 PM

Blacks are not the only race that were slaves.

California Granny Linda February 02 2014 at 3:11 PM

Try saying that to blacks. They like to shout about their past 200 years later still.

shipfixr California Granny February 02 2014 at 3:55 PM

Yes, they were freed from slavery but not all of them have escaped the slave mentality.

Flag +3 rate up
ywcka California Granny February 02 2014 at 4:29 PM

WITH MUCHO CARINO GRANNY, HAVE YOU HEARD MAYBE IN 1968'S. WHEN THE NEW JERSEY NATIONAL GUARD WENT AGAINTS BLACK PROTESTERS,AND A FEW WERE KILLED. EVEN IN PATERSON NEW JERSEY, IN THE UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICE, SOME SUPREMACISTS,KEEP THIS POST OFFICE FROM GETTING A BLACK POSTMASTER UNTIL THE 1990'S. HE LASTED FOUR YEARS, AND DIE OF A HEART ATTACK. TODAY 15 YEARS OR MORE LATER NOT A SINGLE CANDIDATE CONSIDER A MINORITY, NOT EVEN BLACK, HAVE BEEN HIRE TO RUN THAT POST OFFICE. AND EVEN WITH AN UNION THAT REPRESENT THE WORKERS, CIVIL AND HUMANS RIGHTS HAVE BEEN TAKEN AWAY FROM THE WORKERS. GOD FORVID YOU ARE 55 YEARS OLD IN THE PATERSON POST OFFICE.

Flag 0 rate up
ywcka Linda February 02 2014 at 3:27 PM

WOW LINDA !!! COME TO THE STEPS OF RUTGERS UNIVERSITY AS SOON AS YOU CAN. WITH THAT COMMENT , YOU SHOWED A HIGHER IQ. YOU JUST COMPLETED 7 YEARS OF MAESTRY WITHOUT EVEN PASSING IN FRONT OF A COLLEGE TO GO BUY COFFEE. YOU DESERVE A DIPLOMA. WELL..........ITHINK I SHOULD TELL YOU SOMETHING MAYBE YOU DON'T KNOW. MY PEOPLE ALSO WERE SLAVES IN HAWAII, IN THE BATTLEFIELDS OF NORTH-KOREA BY OUR OWN COMMANDERS,AND FROM 1998'S TO 1952'S WHEN WE ELECTED OUR FIRST GOBERNOR. BUT, WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT MY PEOPLE,AND WITH RESPECT, I THINK THAT NOBODY HAS APOLOGYZE TO THE AFRICAN-AMERICAN,FOR KIDNAPPING THEM, BRINGING THEM AGAINST THEIR WILL TO THIS LAND ALLREADY POPULATED BY INDIGENIOUS PEOPLE AND OPEN A HUMAN MARKET,IN WHICH MANY EUROPEAN COUNTRIES BECAME WEALTHY. THANKS

Warren February 02 2014 at 2:50 PM

Why do we use the term African American.?
If yu were born here, you are American, Period!

James DePasquale February 02 2014 at 10:13 AM

It's sad that Blacks went from the southern plantations to the government plantation. The Democrats are keeping them there. They buy votes with taxpayer money aka Welfare. If Obama was a real man, and not a phony communist puppet he would go into the urban areas and take folks like Bill Cosby, Condi Rice, Ben Carson, Colin Powell, and many other blacks that came from nothing and made something out of themselves. They could speak to the people and tell their stories and give real hope than in the USA anyone can make it with hard work and perseverence. Instead, this POS preaches bullshit that America is an unfair place and you might as well not try because the deck is stacked against you. What a shame, he could be a great leader if he preached hope instead of gloom and doom.

Dennis James DePasquale February 02 2014 at 10:21 AM

Yep, I agree. Although I didn't vote for him on the 1st term, I thought, he may do some good. He is the 1st "Afro American" President, and there is a lot of work to do. He talked a good game. But alas, nothing. I CERTAINLY didn't vote for him on the 2nd term, and he is doing worse now that the 1st. I would go with Ben Carson though. What a remarkable AMERICAN.

MIKE HALL Dennis February 02 2014 at 12:39 PM

I pray to God that dr carson runs for president, this is truly one great black american,and yes i am white

Flag 0 rate up
gmgpjandon James DePasquale February 02 2014 at 10:48 AM

We Americans should do as the nation should do. Mind our own business. America should set a example for the rest of the world regarding, morality, and self discipline. If the rest of the world refuses to follow our means to success, then tough, let them wallow in their own mess. But above all, mind our own faults first.

roadskipper1 February 02 2014 at 3:00 AM

Want to know what I think is really funny about this??? My girlfriend is a high school HISTORY teacher and 2 weeks ago she was preparing for a special subject assignment for black history month. (I should point out that this is her FIRST year as a history teacher). In her class are 16 black students and 21 white students. When asked WHAT MONTH black history month is, 1 black and 9 white students knew the answer. I think the parents of ALL of the students need to step up to the plate and accept responsibility for this absolute failure of helping to educate our children. But the fact that only ONE black student knew it was February is pretty damn frightening!

Larry roadskipper1 February 02 2014 at 4:34 AM

ground hog day's more important than thug month. MLK a joke

amore8844 February 02 2014 at 1:08 PM

Don't you have president's day for that??

Tracy Wiswall amore8844 February 02 2014 at 1:37 PM

For Thomas Edison?

chrlbrw1122 February 02 2014 at 10:25 AM

Tell me this is not racist...

Salaamu Alaikum chrlbrw1122 February 02 2014 at 10:36 AM

Can't

Myron E Holley February 02 2014 at 3:36 AM

how about starting a White history month. O that would be racist.

dedndogyrs Myron E Holley February 02 2014 at 7:59 AM

Yes, it would be. Special months are for people who have overcome persecution and denied basic rights. I had a friend who worked in a Mexican fast food restaurant when she was a teenager that didn't hire Mexicans. I remember hearing about a public pool that only allowed Hispanics to swim once a week and then changed the water the next day. But I'm in a place that used to be part of their country and where you rarely hear English spoken in public places. As a woman I was told when I was young that I could only choose from jobs that I could count on one hand to work at. I remember us being spoken of as morons and dirty jokes.

mehgah64 February 02 2014 at 3:08 PM

1. Why is this "Black" history month yet we may only refer to our fellow Americans of African decent as "African Americans?
2. I am not Dutch American - or any other ---- American. I was born here of immigrant parents. I AM AN AMERICAN . PERIOD! So are you if you were born here or naturalized.
3. Many, many ethnic groups have been (some still are) 'enslaved' physical, economically and politically. You, as an American are NOT. Not matter what your family history - GET OVER IT and make something of yourself today for yourself and you kids.