Google commemorates the start of Black History Month

As February 1st begins Black History Month, our country is reminded of the struggles, successes, trials, and tribulations throughout history and the heroes that emerged throughout the years.

Google commemorated the first of the month by dedicating its Google Doodle to abolitionist, humanitarian, and renowned antislavery activist Harriet Tubman. Check out some historic renditions and dedications to Tubman above and be sure to check out the AP's Interactive Black History Month display.

Craig February 02 2014 at 8:41 AM

How about Chinese-American month, without their labor the railroad may have taken much longer to complete, if completed.

Warren February 02 2014 at 2:50 PM

Why do we use the term African American.?
If yu were born here, you are American, Period!

biffcove February 02 2014 at 9:54 AM

To start with black history started long before the U.S. Why no WHITE history?????????????????????????

Judy Lynn biffcove February 02 2014 at 10:11 AM

White history is what has been indoctrinated in our childrens through education.

endmillll biffcove February 02 2014 at 1:33 PM

We need too walk too washington dc like them black folks did or martin luther king too maybe get us a white history month.

mehgah64 February 02 2014 at 3:08 PM

1. Why is this "Black" history month yet we may only refer to our fellow Americans of African decent as "African Americans?
2. I am not Dutch American - or any other ---- American. I was born here of immigrant parents. I AM AN AMERICAN . PERIOD! So are you if you were born here or naturalized.
3. Many, many ethnic groups have been (some still are) 'enslaved' physical, economically and politically. You, as an American are NOT. Not matter what your family history - GET OVER IT and make something of yourself today for yourself and you kids.

roadskipper1 February 02 2014 at 3:00 AM

Want to know what I think is really funny about this??? My girlfriend is a high school HISTORY teacher and 2 weeks ago she was preparing for a special subject assignment for black history month. (I should point out that this is her FIRST year as a history teacher). In her class are 16 black students and 21 white students. When asked WHAT MONTH black history month is, 1 black and 9 white students knew the answer. I think the parents of ALL of the students need to step up to the plate and accept responsibility for this absolute failure of helping to educate our children. But the fact that only ONE black student knew it was February is pretty damn frightening!

Larry roadskipper1 February 02 2014 at 4:34 AM

ground hog day's more important than thug month. MLK a joke

James DePasquale February 02 2014 at 10:13 AM

It's sad that Blacks went from the southern plantations to the government plantation. The Democrats are keeping them there. They buy votes with taxpayer money aka Welfare. If Obama was a real man, and not a phony communist puppet he would go into the urban areas and take folks like Bill Cosby, Condi Rice, Ben Carson, Colin Powell, and many other blacks that came from nothing and made something out of themselves. They could speak to the people and tell their stories and give real hope than in the USA anyone can make it with hard work and perseverence. Instead, this POS preaches bullshit that America is an unfair place and you might as well not try because the deck is stacked against you. What a shame, he could be a great leader if he preached hope instead of gloom and doom.

Dennis James DePasquale February 02 2014 at 10:21 AM

Yep, I agree. Although I didn't vote for him on the 1st term, I thought, he may do some good. He is the 1st "Afro American" President, and there is a lot of work to do. He talked a good game. But alas, nothing. I CERTAINLY didn't vote for him on the 2nd term, and he is doing worse now that the 1st. I would go with Ben Carson though. What a remarkable AMERICAN.

MIKE HALL Dennis February 02 2014 at 12:39 PM

I pray to God that dr carson runs for president, this is truly one great black american,and yes i am white

Flag 0 rate up
gmgpjandon James DePasquale February 02 2014 at 10:48 AM

We Americans should do as the nation should do. Mind our own business. America should set a example for the rest of the world regarding, morality, and self discipline. If the rest of the world refuses to follow our means to success, then tough, let them wallow in their own mess. But above all, mind our own faults first.

Myron E Holley February 02 2014 at 3:36 AM

how about starting a White history month. O that would be racist.

dedndogyrs Myron E Holley February 02 2014 at 7:59 AM

Yes, it would be. Special months are for people who have overcome persecution and denied basic rights. I had a friend who worked in a Mexican fast food restaurant when she was a teenager that didn't hire Mexicans. I remember hearing about a public pool that only allowed Hispanics to swim once a week and then changed the water the next day. But I'm in a place that used to be part of their country and where you rarely hear English spoken in public places. As a woman I was told when I was young that I could only choose from jobs that I could count on one hand to work at. I remember us being spoken of as morons and dirty jokes.

smprfitom February 02 2014 at 3:21 PM

Harriet Tubman was a great AMERICAN that happened to be Black.......Let's stop the divisive pandering.

elrod.porkmore February 02 2014 at 1:59 AM

when are they going to have a white history month

ferrariqx elrod.porkmore February 02 2014 at 2:14 AM

Haven't you read your history? Every month was white history month for over 400 years in this country.

Fred February 02 2014 at 1:59 AM

when does the white folk get a whole month?

Back to School Deal

A new item every day in August
Back to School deal