Google commemorates the start of Black History Month

As February 1st begins Black History Month, our country is reminded of the struggles, successes, trials, and tribulations throughout history and the heroes that emerged throughout the years.

Google commemorated the first of the month by dedicating its Google Doodle to abolitionist, humanitarian, and renowned antislavery activist Harriet Tubman. Check out some historic renditions and dedications to Tubman above and be sure to check out the AP's Interactive Black History Month display.

lawshark78 February 02 2014 at 9:01 AM

as a white person, I never can understand why Black History month never celebrates Scott Joplin, one of the greatest musicians who ever lived. His music is more beautiful than Beethoven or Bach, yet ironically alot of Black folks have never even heard of him. I know the word genius is overused, but Scott Joplin is undeniably a genius and one of the greatest musicians who ever lived..

Warren February 02 2014 at 2:50 PM

Why do we use the term African American.?
If yu were born here, you are American, Period!

Myron E Holley February 02 2014 at 3:36 AM

how about starting a White history month. O that would be racist.

dedndogyrs Myron E Holley February 02 2014 at 7:59 AM

Yes, it would be. Special months are for people who have overcome persecution and denied basic rights. I had a friend who worked in a Mexican fast food restaurant when she was a teenager that didn't hire Mexicans. I remember hearing about a public pool that only allowed Hispanics to swim once a week and then changed the water the next day. But I'm in a place that used to be part of their country and where you rarely hear English spoken in public places. As a woman I was told when I was young that I could only choose from jobs that I could count on one hand to work at. I remember us being spoken of as morons and dirty jokes.

chrlbrw1122 February 02 2014 at 10:25 AM

Tell me this is not racist...

Salaamu Alaikum chrlbrw1122 February 02 2014 at 10:36 AM

Can't

roadskipper1 February 02 2014 at 3:00 AM

Want to know what I think is really funny about this??? My girlfriend is a high school HISTORY teacher and 2 weeks ago she was preparing for a special subject assignment for black history month. (I should point out that this is her FIRST year as a history teacher). In her class are 16 black students and 21 white students. When asked WHAT MONTH black history month is, 1 black and 9 white students knew the answer. I think the parents of ALL of the students need to step up to the plate and accept responsibility for this absolute failure of helping to educate our children. But the fact that only ONE black student knew it was February is pretty damn frightening!

Larry roadskipper1 February 02 2014 at 4:34 AM

ground hog day's more important than thug month. MLK a joke

WELCOME BACK BIL February 02 2014 at 10:30 AM

Black history month is a joke. Distortion of abuse and achievement of epic proportions. Keep sticking black history month, black this, black that and you'll just keep promoting the racial divide. Every other group that's come here, no matter how they got here, has adapted to the existing culture and enriched it. The Irish had an astounding suffered an astounding amount of hostility. So did the German's during WW II, the Polesl, Asians, Mexicans, etc. NO group has whined more and demanded more for a lesser contribution. Check out the hanging nonesense in the 1800's and you'll see that this was mostly a white-on-white crime. Blacks hung in disproportionate numbers? Yes. Part of the societal evolution. Blacks were slaves in other nations hundreds and hundreds of years before the U.S. More whie could understand even the language thing if blacks spoke American English with a native accent, like recent immigrants from Africa and parts fo the Caribe. Instead, demanding the adoption of the ebonics lazy=assed ghetto crap is shoved at the nation as a 'native' language. Can someone learn to 'ask' and not 'ax' or 'axt' !! If you speak like this there is either something wrong with you mouth or you're lazy. Which is it?

wboozer@mail.com WELCOME BACK BIL February 02 2014 at 2:03 PM

Something wrong with "you" mouth? I will make allowances. since you don't seem to be a native.

spike February 02 2014 at 10:30 AM

.In a perfect world there would be no need for a separate black history month.Black history an American Indian history would simply be a part of our history.

doketx spike February 02 2014 at 10:56 AM

Oh, but about that the white folks aren't supposed to feel guilty. How long do you reckon the Romans were expected to feel guilty about Spartacus? As I recall, he didn't cry incessantly about his fate, rather he fought for his freedom, albeit unsuccessfully, but then he didn't have a black emperor and Spartacus was white, a fact which is conveniently never mentioned, as we all know blacks were the only victims of slavery.

arnoldhoneybrown February 02 2014 at 10:34 AM

What about a Asian month ? What about a German month ? What about an Indian month ? Why is it ok to single out aan praise the Blacks but itys considered to do the same with other races ?
The Indians were more screwed by this country than the Blacks ever thought of being !!

Gary arnoldhoneybrown February 02 2014 at 10:58 AM

That is true. You don't hear the Native Americans crying and blaming the white man for their problems. I am so sick of people saying "I'm an African American", or I'm Mexican American. Why can't they just say I'm American.

Soulful Artisan February 02 2014 at 10:36 AM

I loved it! good for you!!!

mehgah64 February 02 2014 at 3:08 PM

1. Why is this "Black" history month yet we may only refer to our fellow Americans of African decent as "African Americans?
2. I am not Dutch American - or any other ---- American. I was born here of immigrant parents. I AM AN AMERICAN . PERIOD! So are you if you were born here or naturalized.
3. Many, many ethnic groups have been (some still are) 'enslaved' physical, economically and politically. You, as an American are NOT. Not matter what your family history - GET OVER IT and make something of yourself today for yourself and you kids.