Yes, Short Man Syndrome is a real thing

Yes, Short Man Syndrome Is A Real Thing

Apparently size does matter ... when it comes to a man's stature.

Through the world of virtual reality, British researchers were able to 'shrink' men for their experiment, shaving 10 inches off their height. Then, they subjected them to interaction with other people.

The shorter men felt inferior, and that led to a lack of trust. The Oxford University academics behind the study made sure the men were not treated any differently in the role-playing situations, regardless of their height.

The Telegraph reports that shorter men also felt heightened levels of fear and paranoia. The 'height-reduced' participants thought people were talking negatively about them even when that wasn't the case.

That lack of self-esteem was all in their heads.

Rob February 03 2014 at 12:10 PM

like the man said, it's good to be tall....

smar105535 February 01 2014 at 4:45 AM

It has always been my impression that tall men get more promotions and make better salesmen than short men. Coming in at a little under 5'-8" I was considered to be the tallest in my family and it never mattered much to me. Coming from the "mean streets" of early Pittsburgh, I learned to hold my head high, be well educated and never back down in a fight, verbal or physical. In my last job I meet this guy whose 25, 265 lbs. , just under 7' tall and likes to pick on the shorter guys. He says that I have to respect him because he's taller and he picks on me constantly. I'm 62 and only 145 lbs. and I invited him outside one night to go roundy-round. He tells me all he has to do is stretch out his arms and I'll never be able to hit him. So, I give him a kick to the kneecap and hit him 5 times in the groin. He goes down totally deflated. I turned towards the rest of my crew and said, "Now that's the meaning of respect." He quickly transfered to another Department.

Luvucats smar105535 February 03 2014 at 8:45 PM

Good for you!!!!!

odoey January 31 2014 at 2:22 PM

I'm a man of 5'6" , I do not have a Napolean complex or any other complex. I worked in an automotive plant for well over 40yrs. as a manager. Most of the people who worked with and for me treated me quite well, and seemed to respect me. I in turn treated them well and showed the utmost respect for them. There were times when it was necessary to assert myself (as manager). It seems IF a shorter man asserts himself, he sometimes gets a bum rap as having a complex, it's much like an assertive female manager, if she shows initive or strength, she's deem as a bit-h from hell.
As a child and a young teenager, there were many times I was harassed and bullied because of my smaller stature, but I would always try to consider the source. None of us can do a lot about our height, but our attitued matters more. People should decide what your future will be on the merits of your work, and demeanor, not your physical stature. I'm 70+yrs and have yet to meet any man who is "better" than me, I've met a lot taller!

kmcewan007 odoey January 31 2014 at 2:26 PM

WOMEN DONT LIKE IT

BillJones January 31 2014 at 1:52 PM

Every study I have ever read clearly says that tall men get promoted first, get more pay and generally have an advantage of others, be the others "short" or "normal". Height obviously makes a difference, but who said life is fair?

alfredlogston224 BillJones January 31 2014 at 3:01 PM

Not Fair .....I am average height..but with an PITBULL mentality and an grimous smile that gets results. If you have problems with yourself .....find what works for you.....or suffer your own consequences.

Hi Bob January 31 2014 at 1:41 PM

Short man syndrome exists, It however is not the result of small stature in the individual. It is a direct result of living in a society where bigger is considered better. A society where the majority somehow consider the tall to be superior to the short. Short men average lower wages for the same job as tall men. Does this sound familiar ladies? Studies show that employers when given two men of equal ability, one short, one tall, will 80% of the time hire the taller applicant. In some instances employers will not consider hireing a short man and justify it by claiming they are too short to physically perform the job. Other studies show that the majority of women will not consider dateing a man shorter than she is. Short men are constantly insulted and derided by tall men and society as a whole laughs and considers it funny. Short jokes are very popular in our bigger is better world. The Ideal man is considered to be tall dark and handsome. Short men are frequently called shorty, pewee, roach, sawed off, vertically impared, stumpy, dwarf, midget and any number off other derogotory labels. Many short men are prevented from serving in the military or barred from jobs as police officers or firemen. Is it any wonder that many short men have developed a chip on their shoulder. As a result of this continual predudicial bombardment short men usually develope one of two attitudes. They either become a timid, shy individual, with low self esteem or the develope a go to hell, kiss my a-- chip on their shoulder attitude. Yes, there is such a thing as a short mans attitude and it is a direct result of the tall mans attitude of our society. An attutude that is never talked about or referred to by the majority. After all it would be critical of our image of the perfect man. Studies like this one are bigoted and judgemental. They indicate that this syndrome is a problem. Unfortunatly this study like many others dwell only on the problem without once considering its source.

whit103 Hi Bob January 31 2014 at 2:00 PM

Me thinks ye protest too much!

quintondall whit103 January 31 2014 at 2:04 PM

methinks he gottit

Flag 0 rate up
isisreptiles Hi Bob January 31 2014 at 2:12 PM

I have been told this by many short men. I am a short (5' 3") woman and we short women experience the same thing, but to a lesser degree than the men. Ours is a society where being tall is considered a desirable trait and being short is considered an undesirable trait, so I don't think things are going to change anytime soon. :(

weidenm1 January 31 2014 at 1:00 PM

Isn't self esteem always in your head,lol???

varambula January 31 2014 at 2:33 PM

The logical thing to do, if you have this luxury, is to associate with people like you. Some groups have a genetic predisposition towards being short. If you grow up within the group, then your psychology is not adversely affected by your stature. If you have confidence going into your mid-teens, then you're going to be fine.

In the end, your character governs how you are perceived and accepted, and not your height. Being short just means that you don't have the luxury of projecting false superiority. You're forced to backup whatever it is that your presenting. This means that you are more active in building up your character and thus your substance. This is much better than ending up a person who eventually fools no one but themselves.

vaygollybum1 January 31 2014 at 12:54 PM

This is very old news. Back in th 60ies? there was reasearch on this very subject. The difference was males were put in a room that had walkways installed. The tall guys walked on the floor and the shorter ones were on the taller walkways. There was a personality change, the tall guys felt a little cowed and the short one felt superior. Can't remember the name of the study.

Eddie Ozment January 31 2014 at 12:54 PM

That is not the only problem with this society. I got a problem with the only women news reporters happen to be what society calls beautiful women. What is wrong with the news media when all they hire are women that have curves. All I turn the news on is to see the news broadcast. Where are the plump women and the so called unattractive women. Does the news media have this criteria that at a certain height you can not weigh over a certain amount????

thaicoffey2 Eddie Ozment January 31 2014 at 1:20 PM

What about Helen Thomas? She is GREAT! (I don't see curves.)

quintondall Eddie Ozment January 31 2014 at 2:08 PM

Candy Crowly?

sean January 31 2014 at 12:47 PM

It seems short women though like tall men, ALOT!!!

fifiwereking sean January 31 2014 at 5:24 PM