Thieves rob New York City's Cartier store in mid-afternoon

Thieves Rob New York City's Cartier Store in Mid-Afternoon

'Good Morning America' says a brazen robbery took place at a very famous New York jewelry store on January 30th.

'Thieves burst into the famous Cartier jewelry store on 5th Avenue in the middle of the afternoon to the obvious shock of tourists and store employees. They used hammers to smash open the glass cases.'

'Fox & Friends' has the details on what happened next.

'They scooped up 16 watches. Police say it happened so fast that no one had time to react. The robbers made a clean getaway.'

The thieves made off with about $700,000 worth of merchandise. The New York Post says Cartier wasn't the first choice of the five robbers, though.

It reports they actually planned to rob a nearby watch and jewelry store but were thrown out by security. A few minutes later, they robbed Cartier after pushing past an unarmed security guard.

Even though the block Cartier is on is one of the most heavily guarded in the city due to all the luxury boutiques and jewelry stores in the area.

Daily Mail reports police believe the thieves decided to rob the store anyway because the majority of police officers were at least 10 minutes away overseeing the pre-Super Bowl festivities in Times Square.

Police are currently reviewing security footage, but no one has been arrested yet in connection with the robbery.

munchenag January 31 2014 at 6:49 PM

Retail and perceived value. Real street value will be about 10% indicating the thieves to be rather lucky imbeciles than professional robbers.

leavesbound munchenag January 31 2014 at 7:15 PM

That shows how much you know about the luxury good business. I work for the most prestigious luxury retailer in the world. We are the oldest and the best and we make nearly everything in our factories here in the U.S. We work hard to make what we do. When you buy our gold jewelry you are not buying wholesale scrap gold. You are buying little works of art with a lot of human labor going into it. We are skilled craftspeople and artisans and put quality into every single piece we make. The so called street value that you speak of is for cheap knock-offs. If you compare them to what we make you will see there is a huge difference. The real street value for a previously owned piece of our jewelry in perfect, factory fresh condition is almost always above 95% of retail and often more. Even heavily worn previously owned examples of my work will sell for most of their full retail value. Cartier, Bvlgari, Tiffany et al charge what their merchandise is actually worth. If they didn't, nobody would buy it. Believe me, they buy it, a lot, I get so much overtime making high quality jewelry my boss gets mad at me for taking occasional Sundays off. That is how much in demand our products are. Quality sells and quality sells well. The best quality always does. But I would imagine you would hold up a lump of coal and would actually claim it is as valuable as a vvs1 10 ct masterpiece. Know what you are talking about before you make ignorant claims.

T. Vance January 31 2014 at 4:16 PM

Guard? Sounds more like a doorman without a gun! Did he get the door for them?

phillipron622 January 31 2014 at 4:14 PM

Most heavily guarded? How can it be considered one of the most heavily guarded stores in the area if the guards aren't even armed?

stevebrick2 phillipron622 January 31 2014 at 4:37 PM

It says heavily guarded areas not stores. Too much liability in an armed guard other than for show. The real cops were guarding the mayors super bowl debacle

William J phillipron622 January 31 2014 at 5:15 PM

Look up guard. Guards don't have to be armed with guns.

dhrector William J January 31 2014 at 6:08 PM

When guards aren't armed this happens. So why have an unarmed guard? How does an unarmed guard protect anything at a jewelry store when the robbers may be armed?

Flag 0 rate up
hey January 31 2014 at 4:02 PM

they will be caught, everything has to be on camera unless they don't live in this country and have already let with the loot

JOSEPH hey January 31 2014 at 4:16 PM

I bet they live in upper Manhattan.

Kwriter JOSEPH January 31 2014 at 4:39 PM

and what is your point? lots of people live in upper Manhattan

Flag +1 rate up
Es49candy January 31 2014 at 8:31 PM

Hope they get caught and thrown under the jail. Some people have ice water in their veins and their heart is like a piece of ice. Hopefully one day they will regret what they did and turn themselves into the law. I am so thankful and very thankful of who I am. When I hear about all these crimes, I can't help but to be thankful for the goodness of my mind, heart, spirit and soul, it must have been my up bringing or it's just in me to do right.
It hurts my hearts to here how innocent people become victims, sometime I feel like taking the law into my own hand by forming a gang and going after these criminals, we need a stiffer penalty and cut out all this slap on the hand $hit and this is all I have to say because I am fed up with the criminals.

sabinaha Es49candy January 31 2014 at 9:09 PM

You somehow forgot to develop compassion for the criminals as well.
Cartier will not suffer much from this except for maybe their reputation. And no one asks the question why these jewelry items are so outrageously expensive in the first place... to me this is robbery.

foxyconserv sabinaha January 31 2014 at 9:47 PM

High jewelry prices are not robbery. No one is forcing them on you. Some of us enjoy one-of-a-kind items, and are willing and able to pay the price. Nobody is holding a gun to your head and making you to spend your money there. There are plenty of low price jewelry stores around. I hear even Costco sells jewelry. Perhaps that's more in your alley.

Flag 0 rate up
slgnzlz4 Es49candy January 31 2014 at 9:18 PM

Lol if you were truly one that possesses a good mind you would be smart enough to know that Cartier is insured up to their eyeballs. If you had goodness in your heart you wouldn't feel inclined to form a gang to exact justice. If your spirit were good then it would be educated to know that only keeping a close relationship with god and waiting for him to make these people answer for their crimes is the best course of action. And as for your soul you sell it to the devil every time you use profane language such as the word s*it.

God Bless You January 31 2014 at 3:51 PM

Nowadays, young adults and teenagers don't used watches. I offered my daughters and grandsons watches, their anwer was I don't used a watch. Their cell phones, etc. give them the time.
Can you tell the diference b etween a gold chain and a fantasy one ? In some latin american countries they don't want to be exposed to the thugs and thieves. They donot used watches and gold chain because they fear the bandits. In Colombia a man was driving his luxury car and showing off his rolex gold watch by extending his left arm out . This thief took out his saw off machete and, Voila,... The people witnessing the intrepidness of the thug how he ran away with the guy's rolex watch and hand...by the way the guy had a pinky gold rind on his hand.

Micheles Third God Bless You January 31 2014 at 6:03 PM

what you describe disturbs me hours since i read it. how sad, scary what kind of soul out there would do such things to another human for greed. my heart is broken. how i wish he could have left the man's hand behind so they could re-attach it. this is diplorable to God what was done to this man. there are no words i am limited to express my feelings must be universal on some level. how ugly greed is or how ugly some soul can be. God help this world. evil has always been around. God help us † Please

jhm162 January 31 2014 at 3:44 PM

nutsietoo 1 minute ago
jUST BEFORE CHRISTMAS MY WALLET WAS TAKEN RIGHT OUT OF MY PURSE AS I BENT OVER TO TAKE A ROAST OUT OF THE MEAT COUNTER. ALL THE CAMERA SHOWED WAS ME WALKING AWAY FROM THE COUNTER.THE POLICE SAID I WAS PROBABLY WATCHED FROM THE TIME I PARKED MY CAR. WE BETTER STRAP OUR WALLETS TO OUR WAIST. THE ROBBERS ARE SMARTER THAN WE ARE.

.........especially if you are a cat

goodgrief61945 jhm162 January 31 2014 at 4:06 PM

Not smarter, way dumber and have no fear.

alydartwo January 31 2014 at 5:54 PM

The police were at what bar did they say?

dml1707 January 31 2014 at 8:59 PM

These guys were SMART. Make it FAST and kill NOBODY. They were happy to get the BEST in the store and leave QUICKLY. NOBODY got hurt.!!!!
We can expect a lot of similar crimes after this.............MOVE FAST in DAYLIGHT HOURS.!!!
BUT WHO will they sell to?????
Insurance will wipe out any losses to the store.

solarious January 31 2014 at 3:25 PM

so if that can happen....what can terrorists do ........what a joke .......guards that ain't packin.. Guarding a boat load of precious metals..YEP lookes like that's working out nicely........................HELLOOOOOOOOOOOO