2 in custody after brazen daylight robbery at NYC Cartier store

Cartier New York City

NEW YORK (AP) - Two suspects are in custody following a brazen broad-daylight robbery at the Cartier store in midtown Manhattan.

Police said Friday that 35-year-old Allen Williams and 33-year-old Roberto Grant, both of Brooklyn, were arrested on robbery charges. It wasn't clear if they had lawyers.

Five suspects with hammers entered the store at the corner of Fifth Avenue and 52nd Street at about 12:30 p.m. Thursday and smashed open a glass display case. Police said they made off with 16 watches worth more than $700,000.

Police Commissioner William Bratton says some of the stolen property has since been recovered.

Police believe the bandits were involved in other similar robberies.

The heist occurred as football fans were flocking to midtown Manhattan for festivities related to the Super Bowl in New Jersey on Sunday.

saa189 February 01 2014 at 11:20 AM

welcome to New York .

margaret February 01 2014 at 2:11 PM

How can you be so stupid? I can't say more.

endmillll February 01 2014 at 9:11 AM

I want my rolex back.

laclone February 01 2014 at 9:43 AM

The more you over-engineer your security system, the better a simple smash-and-grab works.

mffatl February 01 2014 at 9:35 AM

A long time ago a jewelry store in California put a tarantula in the window and had no further problems.

serious.stuff mffatl February 01 2014 at 11:41 AM

Thanks for the giggle!

pink dog February 01 2014 at 12:05 PM

who u ?

italianstylelady February 01 2014 at 9:47 AM

I love NYC -Actually I was born there. It's a disgrace that people of that insane nature dare to commit such a robbery in "broad day-light" - What a shame my God... I just hope they pay for what they did behind bars with a long sentence... They really belong - Period!

serious.stuff italianstylelady February 01 2014 at 11:45 AM

Personally, I'd rather not have them in prison while I have to pay for their room, board, medical, dental and even education. After all, they only stole merchandise. No, I'd rather have them put on some really nasty work detail unfit for normal people...until they pay back every cent, plus the costs of security personnel, police, etc. Make it so that crime really doesn't pay....sound like a plan? :)

memozomozo February 01 2014 at 11:58 AM

They won't be wearing that new Cartier in Rikers Island where they need to be......I can't stand a thug with an ill conceived sense of entitlement. Seems lots of children these days have this disease although these 5 were not kids.....just saying......GET A JOB!

randyseabee memozomozo February 01 2014 at 12:55 PM

sounds like a live off the backs of others Obama supporter to me.

cgpatton February 01 2014 at 9:57 AM

About a year and a half or so ago the Tourneau store at the King of Prussia Plaza Mall experienced a similar robbery. At approximately 8:00 PM on a Friday evening, when there was still some daylight, several gun-toting robbers came into the store wearing ski masks and carrying hammers, broke apart a display case and took about 30 Rolexes valued around $1 million. I wonder if this is the same gang of robbers.

Tom and Tanya February 01 2014 at 11:49 AM