AOL.com
AOL.com
AOL.com

Secrets pilots (probably) don't want you to know

11 Secrets Pilots Don't Want You to Know

If you're boarding a plane anytime soon, you may want to skip this article.

If not ... let's get started.

1) A plane or vehicle moves onto an active runway by mistake -- about 1,000 times a year.

2) Your coffee is made from the same water coming out of the bathroom sinks. Some coffee has bacteria levels a hundred times over government limits.

3) Your captain and crew are usually exhausted. They are allowed to be on duty without a break for up to 16 hours.

4) Pilots make you stow your laptop because it can be a projectile -- and pilots don't want to be taken out by a Macbook flying at 200 mph.

5) Some pilots get distracted by their laptops and cell phones during flight. In October 2009, two pilots on their laptops flew 150 miles past their destination.

6) An airplane will be struck by lightning an average of once per year. Luckily, this hasn't cause a crash in over 40 years.

7) Pilots make mistakes all the time ... mistakes about airspeed, altitude, landing, etc. Because they're usually corrected in time, the pilot won't tell anyone about them.

8) Pilots are constantly under pressure to carry less fuel than they think is necessary.

9) Lots of freight is shipped on commercial flights, including 'H.R.' That means 'Human Remains.' Don't be surprised if there's a casket on your flight.

10) When you're landing at night, the pilot dims the interior light in case you need to evacuate when landing. Your eyes are already adjusted to the darkness so you can see better outside the plane.

11) Lastly, there is no such thing as a 'water landing.'

More From You

231 Comments
*0 / 3000 Character Maximum
Filter by:
deebeck7765 February 04 2014 at 12:32 PM

Scully did a "water landing" on the Hudson.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
Patricia Milam February 02 2014 at 11:21 PM

Scary since will be flying this month.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
Patricia Milam February 02 2014 at 11:20 PM

Not too comforting since I will be flying in a couple of weeks. I will try not to think on this.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
mehagens February 02 2014 at 11:04 PM

some years back we boarded a dc 10 from Chicago to seatle. when I looked out the window one set of trim flaps were drooping and a BIG puddle of hydraulic fluid below on the tarmac. well we were then delayed while mechanics replaced a cockpit window,and then the stewardess turned down the squelch on the pa and then promptly blew out all the cabin lights. then a cargo door needed to be worked on. by this time we were seriously considering exiting the plane but our luggage was on board so we stayed,that was a VERY nervouse flight. we haven't flown on one since,i heard they were all converted to cargo carriers. I watched those trim flaps like a hawk on that flight!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MARK H.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
wnc February 02 2014 at 11:00 PM

If a Macbook is flying at 200 mph, I would think that would be the least of a pilots problem, if it is moving that fast.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
Jeanne February 02 2014 at 10:37 PM

my brother in law worked for an airline & always told us not to drink the coffee because they don't clean the pots. I always brought my own water on the plane until 911 when you couldn't anymore.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
KeepOnTrackin February 02 2014 at 10:23 PM

Travel by air and those cruise ships are pretty scummy but hey, when you need to get somewhere you make the best of it. Same with travel by bus. I remember the days when smoking was allowed!!

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
munchenag February 02 2014 at 10:06 PM

This tabloid type reporting in an attempt to sensationalize i.e. commonly moved caskets by air is just plain stupid. Anything one can imagine is moved by air. Lets take this little opportunity to ask all crew to be nicer to the passengers and the passengers to be nicer to one another and to the aircraft itself by i.e, not making a mess in the bathrooms and adhering to few simple unwritten rules of flying.
1. Take a shower before the flight
2. Wear long sleeves, long pants for men, wear socks
3. Fart in the bathrooms
4. Do not bring stinky food
5. Do not exceed your own space by spreading legs /arms
6. Do not kick the seat in front of you
7. If you are obese, make sure you reserve a rear cabin window seat, or buy two seats.
8. Try not to travel with your stupid pet
9. If you have a urinary disfunction, reserve an isle seat
10. Upon landing, do not push ahead, wait for your turn, row, by row.

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
1 reply to munchenag's comment
aleighcat February 02 2014 at 10:40 PM

You forgot to mention the alcohol issue. I do not want to sit next to someone who is still fuming from the night before or have to sit and smell the lovely scent of alcohol beside me (or, worse, have it sloshed on me). The same applies to excessive colognes. I also detest sitting next to as*holes and baby/children haters. In the same breath, at least make an effort to control unruly children. I love children/babies and fully understand their frustration at being contained for long periods of times or discomfort from air pressure. However, I despise the parent who makes no effort whatsoever and gives them free reign to behave like wild beasts. You had me until the "stupid pet" remark. While most people make accommodations for their pets, sometimes they don't have the option and they have to bring them along (such as with a move to a new home). My pets are anything but "stupid" -- they are a part of my family and I love them as I do my kid. As with anything else, the simple golden rule should apply -- treat others as you wish to be treated, yourself.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
2 replies to aleighcat's comment
munchenag February 02 2014 at 11:17 PM

I cannot disagree with you about alcohol and I am with you on the perfume overdose, Likewise, you had me as well until the pet issue. Dogs, other animals of choice are not like kids, they are animals and they are not children. It is true, I have never met a dog owner who would not claim for his/her dog to be really intelligent and smart, and whatever else. At the end it is a dog. So, when you are with the dog, check him in, for the benefit of others and do not tell people it does not bite, nor does it ever bark. I do not want to bi licked, touched, invited fro caress to dog. I like dogs on a large ranch in Montana or in Kenya. Dogs are dogs, they do not wipe, they drip from their genitals after urination, they are just animals. Keep them away from me.

Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
clwgeorgetownlaw February 03 2014 at 12:16 AM

I'm sure it also sucks to sit next to you during your period which i assume is at present (given your crazy rant)...

Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
gfirealty February 02 2014 at 9:55 PM

One think I can tell you with absolute certainty...just abbot every accident or " near miss " is cased by what is refereed to in the industry as " PE ", or pilot error.

The recent crash in Aspen with 3 pilots on board a private jet ( no passengers ) was PE. They had tail winds of 30 knots and any pilot that knows Aspen airport knows that you do not try to land in Aspen with those conditions, you divert to Eagle if you can. Yet they even after a failed first attempt to land, they tried again and crashed. No surprise there. Morons.

And as with doctors, lawyers and other professionals, there are those that are at the top of their craft and others at the bottom and the rest in the middle as average in skills.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
Lu Ann February 02 2014 at 9:49 PM

Our only son was in one of those Caskets on a flight. Why would you mention that as a "secret" that they wouldn't want to know.. our son didn't interrupt the flight once during it's time en route. Also, H.R. are also transported in cardboard boxes, or in Urns if they have been cremated.. fyi.. it's not always in a casket.

Reply Flag as Abusive +4 rate up rate down