Officers deliver baby on his birthday

Police Officer Shares Birthday with Baby He Delivered During Gridlock

Ask any police officer on the street and they'll tell you that there's no such thing as a "routine traffic stop."

Such was the case for Atlanta officer Tim Sheffield yesterday, who noticed a stopped car on the side of Interstate 25.

He approached to see if they were having car trouble, but car trouble it was not -- they were having a baby!

Amy Anderson and her husband were on the way to the hospital when they got caught in the Atlanta gridlock.

According toe Sheffield, "That baby was definitely coming no matter what."

"I walked up and I looked and I could see that the baby was just about to come on out, so I went back and got my first aid kit, I walked back up there," Sheffield said. "The dad was real calm, the mom was a super trooper."

A few moments later, baby Grace had arrived.

"I said, that's awesome. Today's my birthday. So it was kind of a neat birthday surprise."

wizardzrevenge January 31 2014 at 5:51 AM

Why do writers always have to be negative about every thing in this world?

scuby02 January 30 2014 at 8:21 PM

Kudos to the Officer, God's angel to their rescus. Talking about tming.. God is awesome.

kristeneth January 30 2014 at 7:59 PM

Ahhhh..... I love happy endings.

lilgjb January 30 2014 at 7:17 PM

The highlight of this story is not about the interstate and don't know why people make a big deal go over a mistake about what interstate it was, its about a officer helping deliver a baby during a snow storm in a gridlock and congrats to Graces parents and welcome to the world Grace and your parents have a big story to tell you when you get older and awesome job the officer done. Happy birthday to the officer too!

Chris Pike lilgjb January 30 2014 at 10:31 PM

Whin sum1 wryts whoreably, it destractes wreeders frume the messiag. Get the point?

It was a Sandy Springs officer and not an Atlanta officer. It was I-285.

adela_2012 January 30 2014 at 7:05 PM

That's sooooo awesome and happy late birthday!=)

HIGHWAY BOB January 30 2014 at 6:35 PM

In the mid 60's I drove an ambulance near Lawton Okla. Folks there mostly lived miles from the hospitol and always seems to wait until until it's to far to get there. I delivered two. Once a boy and the seconfd time a girl. There is nothing, I repeat nothing, like assiting Mom when she delivers. After my 1st delivery I knew why Dortors become Pediatricians.

partsautomall January 30 2014 at 5:22 PM

next time you bad mouth cops yell for help from a thief,great job officer

jofromohio January 30 2014 at 4:57 PM

Wonderful!!

reetgglenn January 30 2014 at 4:54 PM

those babies come whenever its time, no matter what or where. Grace had
a famous birth , in the wiinter storm of 2014. That family can now do anything
from here on out. Great story and Happy birthday to the Policeman.

Debbie January 30 2014 at 4:44 PM

Baby Grace....congradulations and welcome into this world. I pray that grace will follow you threw your entire life and you have a beautiful one.

gwenodalynn Debbie January 30 2014 at 6:45 PM