AOL.com
AOL.com
AOL.com

Eight-year-old hero dies in fire, named honorary firefighter

Eight-Year-Old Hero Dies in Fire, Named Honorary Firefighter

An 8-year-old-boy helped rescue six of his relatives from a fire at their mobile home, but sadly he wasn't able to make it out himself. Brave Tyler Doohan was laid to rest with a special title: honorary firefighter.

CNN says Tyler was able to wake up 6 people to alert them of the fire and get them out safely. He then ran back inside the mobile home to try to save his disabled grandfather. Fire Chief Chris Ebmeyer explained what happened next.

'By that time, the fire had traveled to the back of the trailer,' Ebmeyer said."Unfortunately, they both succumbed to heat and smoke.'

The boy and his grandfather were found together on a bed in the back room. It appears Tyler had been trying to lift him.

'With this comes the example that even though he was 8 years of age, he was able to display that amount of courage that most people can't in their entire lives.'

The funeral for Tyler, his grandfather and step-grandfather was held Wednesday, January 29th. At the funeral, Tyler's fourth grade teacher took the podium with Tyler's mother and gave a heartfelt speech.

'Monday, January 20th was the day that changed our lives forever. There is an emptiness and a void that now fills Room 240.'

Tyler's family is seeing support from all across America. A college basketball team from Wisconsin flew in to be pallbearers at the funeral after being touched by Tyler's story.

Since the tragedy, Tyler's neighbor has started a fundraiser for the family who lost everything in the fire.

As of January 30th, supporters have donated more than $60,000 -- far exceeding the $15,000 goal.

Here's that link again if you'd like to donate.

More From You

112 Comments
*0 / 3000 Character Maximum
Filter by:
firefighter503 January 31 2014 at 10:51 PM

R.I.P. Prayers for family and friends.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
muffin January 31 2014 at 5:29 PM

I would love to see more coverage of stories like this and less on juASStin Beiber.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
1 reply to muffin's comment
bob January 31 2014 at 8:51 PM

I agree

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
msggov January 31 2014 at 5:22 PM

This is a hero not an NFL player that makes a play to win a game. One saves lives the other entertains.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
kingofelectric January 31 2014 at 5:02 PM

True hero! Too many times that word is thrown around. Here is the definition of the word "Tyler Doohan". Rest in peace little brother.

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
adela_2012 January 31 2014 at 4:47 PM

May TYLER rest in peace he is an angel!!!GODBLESS!!!

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
rg2306 January 31 2014 at 3:33 PM

Proof there are angels on earth. God rest his soul.

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
pettycoat4 January 31 2014 at 2:39 PM

I have never met this boy, but I love him.

Reply Flag as Abusive +3 rate up rate down
Valen Blaze January 31 2014 at 2:00 PM

God rest his soul... Why does this have to happen to such a young boy...? He is a true hero.

Reply Flag as Abusive +2 rate up rate down
jlsm303 January 31 2014 at 2:00 PM

I can't imagine the grief his family is going through right now, as a mother it is my worst nightmare and yet I can't wrap my head around how incredably brave and loving Tyler is. I read from another comment that there was a disrespectful comment about his family living in a trailer and all I can think is how dare you that little boy was and is a better person then you will ever be and obouvsly his family is too, how else did he learn to be so loving? At a time like this we shoul take a lesson from Tyler and support and love eachother. To Tyler's family I am so sorry for your loss and I know it's even a little harder knowing you are here because of him and he's not. However you also need to take strength from that knowing he loves you that much and is watching over you. God bless you

Reply Flag as Abusive +5 rate up rate down
Alicia Kerns January 31 2014 at 1:52 PM

Wow, such bravery for such a young life, trying to save his grandpa. Jesus has him in heaven now. RIP little one with the angels & my prayers go out to the rest of his family.

Reply Flag as Abusive +4 rate up rate down