Dr. Oz's eye-opening transformation

Dr. Oz's Fat Suit Depression
By ETONLINE STAFF

Dr. Oz got to experience life as a 400-lb. man via the use of a fat suit, which left him unrecognizable and very depressed.

'The most painful thing I experienced was a mom with two kids walking past me,' Dr. Oz said of his temporary transformation. 'She sort of grabbed their hands and moved them away from me like there was something so wrong. I was such a pariah that she didn't want her kids hurt in any way by the experience of seeing me.'

Although Dr. Oz is in good shape now, as a child he counted himself among the millions of Americans who struggle with their weight.

'I remember the shame I felt,' Dr. Oz said. 'It was useful to go back to that emotion, because that's exactly what I felt when I put on a 400-lb. fat suit.'

His experience has even changed the way he plans to treat obese guests on his show.

'I'm no longer going to show people's weights on the show unless they want me to," Dr. Oz said. "I'm not going to force it on people anymore.'

Check out The Dr. Oz Show website for more.

mszetta February 01 2014 at 10:10 AM

I am an obese female, and it's true that society treats you very differently when you are overweight. I will not sit here and blame my fat on a genetic issue, because only a few Americans actually are unable to lose weight because of some type of genetic or glandular glitch. Late last year, I had the fortune to be trained how to properly approach food and fitness by a Licensed and Registered Dietician. She really made me see food in a totally different light. It's all about Portion Control and Exercise. It's really that simple, and it works for most people. Although Dr. Oz looked totally ridiculous in his ill-fitting fat suit, he did make me say to myself... Hell Naw! I refuse to gain that much weight. Now, I am even more dedicated than ever before to lose this excess weight that I have been carrying around for decades. #PleaseBelieveThat!

moudsie mszetta February 01 2014 at 10:13 AM

Exactly--it's overeating and eating the wrong foods that causes obesity--granted some of it is hereditary or glandular--but not all the time.

Denise mszetta February 01 2014 at 10:26 AM

Good for you!

kapd52 February 01 2014 at 9:53 AM

it does not matter weather the suit seem real or not. It is the thought process that people think when they see someone like that. YOu need to look at someone as a human being not like a disease. Treat people the same way you want to be treated. As for doctors stop embarassing your patients. Look at Mark Mincollas book. Whole Health 21st century. Doctors need to check it out too. It is full of good information. SO please treat people as human beings not as some kind of creature.

Christina February 01 2014 at 9:53 AM

But the difference is, at the end of the day you can take your "suit" off, and go about your business. For those of us who are clinically obese, it is a battle every day. Getting nasty looks, and those who are cruel enough to shout nasty things at you just for the fun of it. No worse feeling in the world...

Hello Joe February 01 2014 at 9:52 AM

Putting on a fat suit doesn't in any wa y show you what it's like, it's as offensive as someone white putting on blackface and saying that now they get it.

davidp1869 February 01 2014 at 2:32 PM

You know, if everyone would mind their own business as well as their manners, follow the Golden Rule perhaps, the world would be a much better place for everyone concerned.

kristine paula davidp1869 February 01 2014 at 4:28 PM

Amen David.....Amen!

Bill February 01 2014 at 9:47 AM

Maybe if he was dressed well, he would have been accepted better; Toronto Mayor Rob Ford drinks, smokes crack, sings Reggae, pushes old women and looks stylish while doing it all.

slarsit Bill February 01 2014 at 10:04 AM

You really have to be kidding. The way a person dresses is what gets them better treatment? You are an example why "fat" people live with being disrespected.

rhunter247 February 01 2014 at 2:38 PM

I've been over-weight most of my life. Right now I'm about 6ft, 250 lbs. It has never stopped me from doing things. I've skied, white-water rafted, rock climbed, sky dived, traveled, bicycled 8000 miles/year. Although I'll confess I lost a few pounds doing those things. Admittedly doing those things was a little harder when I was heavier but here's my point - I've never, not ever, felt inferior, depressed,suffered from low self-esteem or whatever else over-weight people suffer from. I've never thought about it until some jackass walks up to me and says, "You'd feel better if you'd lose some weight." Losing weight for health reasons is one thing, but losing weight so you can look like a Hollywood movie star is another thing. Our society places way too much emphasis on "looking good" and does not place enough on "feeling good." Whatever a person does should be directed at making them a better person in their own eyes, and not catering to the image or idea someone else has decided is "acceptable."

Wiggies! rhunter247 February 01 2014 at 4:51 PM

I'm guessing you're male, and from your stats you're only slightly overweight and probably muscular. But your thinking is positive in reminding ignorant folks that people who are big/obese/fat/overweight can be very active and very healthy. It's obvious to most that the judgmentalism of others is MUCH harder for women. To me there are two problems with being fat. The biggest is society's judgement. Far secondary is gravity. It's inconvenient and a challenge to deal with the gravity of a heavier body and not fit in airline seats, etc. but the nastiness of others' prejudice and bullying is much more difficult. I would love to know your secret to the kind of strong self-confidence you describe in the daily onslaught of BS. My personal challenge is to keep moving through the world, dancing, wearing what I like, getting stronger, eating healthy REAL food, but it does NOT necessarily mean getting skinny. At 450 I had low normal BP, cholesterol, blood sugar, etc. It's easier to find clothes and walk further faster at a little smaller now, but what I want to change are the stupid attitudes of others far more than my size.

Carla February 01 2014 at 9:44 AM

Dr. Oz is not the first person to do this. In 1989 a People Magazine reporter (female) did "Fat Like Me" as a weeklong experiment, and actually found that she gained weight while doing this experiment due to food-soothing and depression.

Bill Carla February 01 2014 at 9:52 AM

"Food-soothing"? It is the use of euphemisms like that which help people rationalize destructive or potentially destructive behavior.

kidleopard February 01 2014 at 2:40 PM

The costume was so grotesque that the results of his test are likely to be very skewed. Some of the reactions were undoubtedly to the bad costume rather than to the sight of an obese person which is unfortunately VERY common in the US.

arlandsue February 01 2014 at 9:39 AM

I have family members and friends who struggle with weight, and I get very angry at the attitudes of others whenever we are out shopping or having a healthy lunch. Not everything is about food when it comes to obesity. There are other physical problems that can attribute to weight gain such as thyroid problems. Until you walk in someone else's shoes, do not assume that they over eat or do not care about themselves. It is hurtful and a form of bullying.