AOL.com
AOL.com
AOL.com

Dr. Oz's eye-opening transformation

Dr. Oz's Fat Suit Depression
By ETONLINE STAFF

Dr. Oz got to experience life as a 400-lb. man via the use of a fat suit, which left him unrecognizable and very depressed.

'The most painful thing I experienced was a mom with two kids walking past me,' Dr. Oz said of his temporary transformation. 'She sort of grabbed their hands and moved them away from me like there was something so wrong. I was such a pariah that she didn't want her kids hurt in any way by the experience of seeing me.'

Although Dr. Oz is in good shape now, as a child he counted himself among the millions of Americans who struggle with their weight.

'I remember the shame I felt,' Dr. Oz said. 'It was useful to go back to that emotion, because that's exactly what I felt when I put on a 400-lb. fat suit.'

His experience has even changed the way he plans to treat obese guests on his show.

'I'm no longer going to show people's weights on the show unless they want me to," Dr. Oz said. "I'm not going to force it on people anymore.'

Check out The Dr. Oz Show website for more.

More From You

1214 Comments
*0 / 3000 Character Maximum
Filter by:
fruehrose February 02 2014 at 10:27 PM

Maybe people reacted to the way he looked because the "fat suit" was not real looking?

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
Susan February 02 2014 at 11:14 AM

Hmm...Perhaps the people that encountered him were alarmed that someone that fat would wear tight clothes that clung to his butt and stomach in that manner. Don't get me wrong. I don't condone obesity in the least and have plenty of issues with those who are not able to exercise some modicum of self control, but this wasn't a realistic test. The suit was far too lumpy and the clothing chosen was far too tight.

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
etgaskin February 02 2014 at 3:49 AM

blame yourself

Reply Flag as Abusive -1 rate up rate down
GoldLions February 02 2014 at 12:55 AM

Got diabetes2? Got Lupus? Overweight? Blame it on your Neanderthal genes.......

Reply Flag as Abusive -1 rate up rate down
donc703 February 01 2014 at 11:37 PM

He's now a dead ringer for Dr Phil.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
dannemjack February 01 2014 at 11:26 PM

Fat people are the only group that you can discrimiante against in this country. You can call them any name you want, treat them like pariahs, ot hire them on account of their looks. If you ever not hired a homjosexual because they there homosexuals, or called a black person a ******, or even refused to serve them because they were black, the uproar it would cause would be unbelievable (the lawsuits, the blacklisting, the boycots)! If you ever told a homosexual that they can change and become 'normal', the same uproar. but fat people are automatically thought to be able to change and control "their eating"

Reply Flag as Abusive +5 rate up rate down
kjasperkc February 01 2014 at 11:11 PM

I have never seen a heavy person dressed like Dr. Oz was. Ridiculous. People with weight issues struggle all the time, but, most every one I have ever known or seen, dresses nicely. Society is cruel. Most people are shallow and mean to heavy people, or anyone who doesn't look like the norm or better. A little kindness goes a long way.

Reply Flag as Abusive +8 rate up rate down
1 reply to kjasperkc's comment
KRISTY February 01 2014 at 11:20 PM

I really don't want to sound mean, I was a chunky child, but when you say you've never seen heavy people dressed like that, clearly you've never been to Wmart.

Reply Flag as Abusive +2 rate up rate down
1 reply to KRISTY's comment
donc703 February 01 2014 at 11:32 PM

My thoughts exactly!

Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
bluedodge47 February 01 2014 at 11:03 PM

How come I can comment here but can"t even sign in on HP??? Does anyone know??? They don"t answer emails, run me in circles getting new passwords that won"t work, is it part of their new customer relations plan?

Reply Flag as Abusive -1 rate up rate down
2 replies to bluedodge47's comment
Jimbo February 01 2014 at 11:13 PM

Yes, Huffpost now makes you sign in through Facebook, I guess to restrict people from writing heinous things under their handles, where as now, they wouldn't be able to hide behind it.

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
2 replies to Jimbo's comment
GoldLions February 02 2014 at 12:58 AM

Another reason to avoid Facebook.....Who needs it if you can't have full freedom of speech?

Flag as Abusive +2 rate up rate down
mitch February 02 2014 at 4:50 AM

yeah libs can be pretty nasty on hp.

Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
mitch February 02 2014 at 4:51 AM

unless you are a lunatic lib you are not missing anything on hp.

Reply Flag as Abusive -1 rate up rate down
1 reply to mitch's comment
Susan February 02 2014 at 11:16 AM

Clearly you have issues with those who think more clearly than yourself.

Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
Luvucats February 01 2014 at 10:52 PM

I have been very fortunate in that I come from a grossly obese family. I have struggled to maintain my weight below 114 lbs., but am happy and healthy. My Mom and Dad passed away at 64 yrs. of age from diet and weight related causes. They also had blood pressure and cholesterol issues. I have become a vegan as a result. My Mom, Dad, and Brother are gone; only my Sister remains. She has many weight and diet related health issues.

Reply Flag as Abusive +2 rate up rate down
christycrouse1 February 01 2014 at 10:31 PM

I wanted to share this, it really touched me I hope it may inspire others

To the fatty running on the Westview track this afternoon:

You, whose feet barely lift off the ground as you trudge around the track.
You, who keeps to the outside lane, footslogging in the wrong direction.
You,who stops for water breaks every lap, and who would probably stop twice a lap if there were bleachers on both sides.
You, whose gaze drops to your feet every time we pass. You, whose sweat drenches your body after you leave, completing only a single 20 minute mile.

There's something you should know: You rock.

Every shallow step you take you carry the weight of more than two of me, clinging to your bones, begging to be shaken off. Each lap you run, you're paying off the debt of another midnight snack, another dessert. It's 20 degrees outside, but you haven't let that stop you in your regimen. This isn't your first day out here, and it certainly won't be your last. You've started a joirney that lasts a lifetime, and you've started at least 12 days before your New Year's resolution kicks in.

You run without music, and I can only imagine the mantras running through your mind as you heave your ever shrinking pass around the next lap. Let's go, feet. Shut up, legs. Eff off, fat. If you'd only look up from your feet next time we pass, you'd see my gaze has no condescension in it.
I have nothing but respect for you. You got this!

Reply Flag as Abusive +12 rate up rate down