Dr. Oz's eye-opening transformation

Dr. Oz's Fat Suit Depression
By ETONLINE STAFF

Dr. Oz got to experience life as a 400-lb. man via the use of a fat suit, which left him unrecognizable and very depressed.

'The most painful thing I experienced was a mom with two kids walking past me,' Dr. Oz said of his temporary transformation. 'She sort of grabbed their hands and moved them away from me like there was something so wrong. I was such a pariah that she didn't want her kids hurt in any way by the experience of seeing me.'

Although Dr. Oz is in good shape now, as a child he counted himself among the millions of Americans who struggle with their weight.

'I remember the shame I felt,' Dr. Oz said. 'It was useful to go back to that emotion, because that's exactly what I felt when I put on a 400-lb. fat suit.'

His experience has even changed the way he plans to treat obese guests on his show.

'I'm no longer going to show people's weights on the show unless they want me to," Dr. Oz said. "I'm not going to force it on people anymore.'

Check out The Dr. Oz Show website for more.

NANAMEO February 01 2014 at 2:50 PM

I cried through whole thing. I know the pain in being obese. I wish there was someway i could get help before I die from being so overweight. I have tried everythibg and i cant seem to get anywhere. can you help me

rvheaney NANAMEO February 01 2014 at 3:08 PM

Get rid of your shovel and try a spoon !

kristine paula rvheaney February 01 2014 at 4:06 PM

@RVHEANEY.......your reply to NANAMEO is beyond cruel....it is PATHETIC!!!!!! makes one wonder what in your life makes you such an evil hateful person or if you are just another sociopath walking this earth with the sole purpose to hurt and torture others.........either way "your contributions to society" mean absolutely nothing to anyone but YOURSELF and that is what makes you so PATHETIC....people like you never anger or upset me....I only pity you....on the other hand people like NANAMEO have the COURAGE to reach out to others and say they have a problem and ask for help.......a very difficult and humbling thing for a person to do......I applaud people who ask for help...at least they are willing to TRY.....you on the other hand RVHEANEY.......you are willing to wallow in hate....................

Flag 0 rate up
mscarlet77 February 01 2014 at 10:11 AM

it's about time . as a doctor he should have realized how painful being overweight is for most people. putting them on display and with their weight being broadcast for the world to see was something i couldn't watch anymore..so................i stopped watching the show.............i hope he learned something from this...............he should have watched how kind and caring Richard Simmons always was with the people he was helping...........makes a big difference in some peoples lives............they already feel different.....shame......there are people in those bodies that have
feelings just like everyone else.......................thank you.......i hope he gets to see this and it doesn't get discarded like so many overweight people do....................

mszetta February 01 2014 at 10:10 AM

I am an obese female, and it's true that society treats you very differently when you are overweight. I will not sit here and blame my fat on a genetic issue, because only a few Americans actually are unable to lose weight because of some type of genetic or glandular glitch. Late last year, I had the fortune to be trained how to properly approach food and fitness by a Licensed and Registered Dietician. She really made me see food in a totally different light. It's all about Portion Control and Exercise. It's really that simple, and it works for most people. Although Dr. Oz looked totally ridiculous in his ill-fitting fat suit, he did make me say to myself... Hell Naw! I refuse to gain that much weight. Now, I am even more dedicated than ever before to lose this excess weight that I have been carrying around for decades. #PleaseBelieveThat!

moudsie mszetta February 01 2014 at 10:13 AM

Exactly--it's overeating and eating the wrong foods that causes obesity--granted some of it is hereditary or glandular--but not all the time.

Denise mszetta February 01 2014 at 10:26 AM

Good for you!

swiderek1 February 01 2014 at 3:26 PM

Glad you did this to remember how it feels. It is a cruel world. Glad to hear you will respect your guests. Weight control is very difficult for some.

sehrishkazmi February 01 2014 at 3:36 PM

This is sooo cruel in this world. Even though, I'm skinny I just stuggle to be thin because I fainting and went to hospital twice. I have this friend who is overweight and she is worrying that people make fun of her. I just say it doesn't matter who is thin or fat, however she is a kind human being and that is matter the most to me. Futhermore I just want to stay what my weight is.

kevinbgood621 February 01 2014 at 3:57 PM

That's like saying that talking about oxygen is endorsing breathing . Dr Oz is just repeating known effects of herbs and vitamins from studies and usage .

mijude3 February 01 2014 at 3:58 PM

One of the things I noticed after losing 133 lbs was how differently people treated me, and I have to say it rather ticks me off....I am the same person inside as I was at 300 lbs, but all people saw before was my size. It was a real eye opener for me and I work every day to be kind to those who are "different" from me, we all really want the same thing....to be loved and accepted.

Monica mijude3 February 01 2014 at 4:15 PM

Congratulations!!!! Best of luck to you

boblandmark1 mijude3 February 01 2014 at 10:46 PM

I too lost 120 pounds and I am the same person I was before the weight loss but people treat me differently now. It sickens me. I feel for the people who have to make fun of heavy people.

wirvingjr February 01 2014 at 3:59 PM

At least he can put in on and off in a few hours. What about people who can not remove it so quickly.....there is a different type of feeling knowing that the fat is just temporary. It's a battle when it is a part of your life and continue to struggle with removing it. It's not just pushing your self away from the table..........

csnote4b February 01 2014 at 4:00 PM

When I was in high school, a couple of classmates and I did a class project in which I dressed up as a 400+ pound woman in a moo moo and walked down the streets of Providence while my friends videotaped public reactions to me. When we showed the video in class, we at first had circus music in the background and then replayed it as a silent video. The class laughed when the video was shown with the circus music, and then was struck with horror and sadness in response to the reactions on the street that we had captured when we showed the video without music . That experience taught me several things: 1) how difficult it is to manage with a lot of weight on one's body; 2) how cruel people can be when they encounter someone different in appearance; and 3) how powerful media presentations can be in regard to affecting how people understand and react to things.

Monica csnote4b February 01 2014 at 4:09 PM

Thank you for your comment. This exact exercise should be offered in every school. I have been overweight all my life, and it helps to know that at least some people have empathy.

catluvrmh February 01 2014 at 10:04 AM

It isn't only overweight that causes people to shun one or turn away - all my life I was the homely one, beautiful sisters on both sides. Did it affect me? You betcha! I manage to smile but the pain was and is there, not only because I was belittled constantly, but because young and pretty always, always came out on top and I was left behind. People hardly even looked at me! The ones who did consider me and saw my intellectual prowess were pleasantly surprised, but those times were few and far between.

BTW - the fat suit wasn't an acceptable form of attire for this Dr. Oz experiment. He should have dressed more appropriately, like Chris Christie does, or other ''fat professionals.'' Maybe the mother dragging her children away from him was a reaction to the clothes and not the fat.