Twins test out experimental diet

Fat Vs. Sugar: Which Is Worse?

It's fat vs. sugar in the battle for which is worse! Identical twin doctors Chris and Alexander Van Tulleken decided to find out ... using themselves as guinea pigs.

'Alexander could not eat carbohydrates, essentially sugar, and Chris was only allowed a little bit of fat,' 'GMA' reports.

The twins conducted the experiment for an upcoming television program on BBC's 'Horizon.'

The diet lasted for one month. Besides their restrictions, the self-proclaimed gluttons were allowed to eat as much as they wanted and exercise the same amount as usual. So, what happened?

'Both lost weight, but were miserable in the process.'

Alexander wrote about his experience for Daily Mail. He shared that on the no-carb diet he was slow, tired and had terrible breath. He said Chris, on the low-fat diet, was never full and always snacking. Alexander concluded they were going about it all wrong, saying:

'If you want to lose weight it will be much easier if you avoid processed foods made with sugar and fat. These foods affect your brain in a completely different way from natural foods and it's hard for anyone to resist eating too much.'

'Good Morning America' brought on its Chief Medical and Fitness editor who chimed in with a few more tips.

'There's three things you need to do: You need to eat less, you need to eat differently, and you need to use your body more.'

Noted! The twins' special will air Wednesday, January 29th.

daktv3 January 30 2014 at 7:20 AM

I often thought of "writing" a 2 page diet book:
1. Eat Less
2. Exercise more

wittlief daktv3 January 30 2014 at 8:41 AM

3. repeat

marwha January 30 2014 at 11:13 AM

Years ago at the Houston Medical Center I followed their plan, 2 milks, 3 fruits, 4 breads, 5 fats, 7 proteins, every day, follow that plan for a female and I can guarntee that will lose weight....2-3 lbs a week, consistently if you are consistent... it was the easiest "diet" I felt good, had energy, great shine to my hair, fantastic nails...beautiful skin... add exercise, and add a little more for maintenance and you'll always be in great shape! and have good breath too!

marwha January 30 2014 at 11:13 AM

Oh, and lots of good veggies!!!

leonsutton January 30 2014 at 11:35 AM

One month is too short to draw any conclusions. Three months minimum!

robcabob1 January 30 2014 at 11:47 AM

It was just an experiment. There's no advice to give, they just wanted to see the affects on very similar bodies at the same time. Lol to the No-Carb breath, that's some useful information, no?

ajafullmn January 30 2014 at 11:49 AM

want to lose weight, go on the diabetics diet. Nothing white. you'll lose for sure.

larry ajafullmn January 30 2014 at 1:10 PM

Isn't that racism ???

mse1150 January 30 2014 at 12:05 PM

I recently lost 10 pounds in 4 months by adding time on my outdoor biking each week and eating ONE portion at dinner instead of two. It was easier than I thought....but I also eat lots of fresh fruits and veggies. I've tried no-carb diet in the past and felt same way - tired all the time.

muffin January 30 2014 at 12:23 PM

Tiny amount of time for an experiment. Any conclusions made will need to be taken in the light that there were only 2 subjects and little time. Repeated times (many times with accurate results that can be documented) will maybe make this worthwhile. Yes, it was cute but not informative. It was more of a flller item. The posters have it right: less calories, more movement, and focus on what the calories really are coming from will help with one's weight loss. We do not need people expousing things in the name of experimenting, esp. doctors. Maybe they are trying to drum up business for themselves. I am NOT impressed over the coverage of this story.

msmith6791 muffin January 30 2014 at 1:02 PM

Hey - finish that BIG MAC and get on your bike and ride down Wilshire

muffin msmith6791 January 30 2014 at 7:41 PM

You can make this assumption from my words? You are wrong.

Flag 0 rate up
muffin January 30 2014 at 12:27 PM

I do not like the way aol handles their site. The double posting is annoying. I also do not like that aol has HP articles that are not accessible to people w/o Facebook accounts. I used to like reading/commenting until they added that stipulation. Now I do not bother b/c I know they do not value my opinions. I do not need to support them.

clembeauch January 30 2014 at 5:34 PM

The Frans way to go as my Cardiologist says to me eat what you want ; Just portion control & moderation.. and exercise as you can, walkings fine 30 mins at least 4 times a week.