Sara Evan's Ex: 'My divorce reads like a Grisham novel'

'My Divorce Reads Like A John Grisham Novel'
The process of ending a marriage can be emotionally, mentally and financially draining. For former political candidate Craig Schelske, divorce was also a public nightmare.

Schelske's 2007 divorce from country music star Sara Evans became a media sensation, in part because of the wild accusations the two parties made against each other.

"When I entered court, I had the expectation that my wife would be protected, that I would be able to negotiate my way through it to an amicable sort-of resolution, and by the time I got done, my story reads like a John Grisham novel," Schelske said to host Caitlyn Becker.

He alleged corruption in family court, including "judges who were involved in felonious activities, parenting evaluators who are cocaine addicts and drug abusers, and actions of collusion behind my back, hiding assets and all sorts of things to deprive me of my rights, my place as a father, [and] the income that I had helped earn over a period of 10 years. So yes, it was a very, very nasty thing."

Schelske also claimed that Evans' divorce attorney tried to cast aspersions on Schelske's character. "My ex's divorce attorney, in a fit of buffoonery, he believed that I was Craig of Craigslist. He thought I was personally responsible for the sexual solicitation ads on Craigslist."

Ultimately, Schelske sued the divorce attorney for slander. "I went after this attorney for slander and it took me three years. Four days before his trial -- I'm not supposed to say that he surrendered but we settled. He paid me a settlement and issued a letter of apology."

Watch the full conversation on HuffPost Live.

Annette February 02 2014 at 6:42 PM

It really is the divorce attorneys that love picking the wings off of a fly for a buck.

Rich the Boss February 02 2014 at 9:07 AM

I always said I hope to live long enough to see things change in divorce court. Men have been getting the shaft for a very long time. If a woman has a affair with another person why should the woman get the children , the home and check each month. I personally know of cases were this has happened. The man built the home with his own two hands and had to move out. Then of course the new boy friend moved in. He gets to screw the wife while the husband pays for everything. Apparently the courts can't see that this is a terrible example for the children to see. But somehow because the woman has two breast and a whom she is a better person. The courts should not be in the business of rewarding anyone that destroys a home.

fay38 February 02 2014 at 9:14 AM

I wish the writer had included details like what state the divorce case was handled.

Jannie fay38 February 02 2014 at 9:32 AM

Tennessee

tnelyinc February 02 2014 at 9:18 AM

Divorce lawyers are the lowest life form.

Their job is literally to stir the pot to get paid. If both parties want to be amicable, the lawyers don't get paid. So instead, they literally lie, cheat and steal until they get the parties fighting so they can...get paid!

twalsh4440 February 02 2014 at 9:23 AM

Congrats on getting something out of the SCUMBAG Lawyer , EVIL Judge. and Bad parts of the system. Like everyone there are WONDERFUL Lawyers I know some and BAD Lawyers. also some. We need to get the BAD ones out, but like ERIC HOLDER it is tough

esaustew February 02 2014 at 9:24 AM

Who?

Brutal February 02 2014 at 9:26 AM

Corrupt judges and attorneys are basically cowards and cannot handle the pressure of looking over their shoulder for the rest of their miserable lives. Make sure they know who they are dealing with. You may not be able to stop them from screwing you ... but you can definitely stop them from screwing anyone else. Just make sure they know that.

keedyk87 February 02 2014 at 1:51 PM

One cannot expect Justice from Lawyers who have neither an understanding of, or belief in such? Our society is filled with mostly psedo whatever their college degreed referrers to them as? If they have a major in anything other than Science where the lab requires real proof? Due to a system of education that thinks Human Studies can rely on memorization alone to understand subject matter that REQUIRES life experience for real UNDERSTANDING! As the younger the graduate in any area of the Humanities now referred to as the social sciences is? The less to certainly likely they will not Understand what they are talking about due to lack of life Experience!

pe12427 keedyk87 February 02 2014 at 2:23 PM

This is a great comment and sums many of the problems with our society in general. Unfortunately these people can always get a job with the government.

RAT BASTARD February 02 2014 at 9:36 AM

A politician who had his feelings hurt? Welcome to the land of lawyers.

biffcove RAT BASTARD February 02 2014 at 9:40 AM

Cool name!

Angel Bebe February 02 2014 at 9:38 AM

..." A family court system that is so incredibly corrupt...." I can tell you that I have worked as a Juvenile Probation Officer and this is absolutely the case. Atrocities abound.