Sara Evan's Ex: 'My divorce reads like a Grisham novel'

'My Divorce Reads Like A John Grisham Novel'
The process of ending a marriage can be emotionally, mentally and financially draining. For former political candidate Craig Schelske, divorce was also a public nightmare.

Schelske's 2007 divorce from country music star Sara Evans became a media sensation, in part because of the wild accusations the two parties made against each other.

"When I entered court, I had the expectation that my wife would be protected, that I would be able to negotiate my way through it to an amicable sort-of resolution, and by the time I got done, my story reads like a John Grisham novel," Schelske said to host Caitlyn Becker.

He alleged corruption in family court, including "judges who were involved in felonious activities, parenting evaluators who are cocaine addicts and drug abusers, and actions of collusion behind my back, hiding assets and all sorts of things to deprive me of my rights, my place as a father, [and] the income that I had helped earn over a period of 10 years. So yes, it was a very, very nasty thing."

Schelske also claimed that Evans' divorce attorney tried to cast aspersions on Schelske's character. "My ex's divorce attorney, in a fit of buffoonery, he believed that I was Craig of Craigslist. He thought I was personally responsible for the sexual solicitation ads on Craigslist."

Ultimately, Schelske sued the divorce attorney for slander. "I went after this attorney for slander and it took me three years. Four days before his trial -- I'm not supposed to say that he surrendered but we settled. He paid me a settlement and issued a letter of apology."

Watch the full conversation on HuffPost Live.

Dee Dunton February 02 2014 at 6:40 PM

I Love Sara Evans, but I feel because of Sara's status as a celeriby, she used that against her husband. Why can't they be civil and work it out because of the children? I divorced after 32 years of marriage and we worked together for the interest of our 2 children.

prawn259 February 02 2014 at 9:09 AM

Sara who? Seems that the word "star" is used pretty freely... and obviously a large percentage of lawyers are far from moral.

tom prawn259 February 02 2014 at 9:33 AM

Obviously, you're not a country music listener. Anyone who is a millionaire that does any kind of music, does national tv, awards shows, etc, etc is a "star".

fay38 February 02 2014 at 9:14 AM

I wish the writer had included details like what state the divorce case was handled.

Jannie fay38 February 02 2014 at 9:32 AM

Tennessee

tnelyinc February 02 2014 at 9:18 AM

Divorce lawyers are the lowest life form.

Their job is literally to stir the pot to get paid. If both parties want to be amicable, the lawyers don't get paid. So instead, they literally lie, cheat and steal until they get the parties fighting so they can...get paid!

paulbmcv February 02 2014 at 9:20 AM

been there done that. family court is a joke. attorney are nothing but a bunch of lying ******.
they are a bunch of highly paid mercenaries who ruin peoples lives for the almighty dollar.
If people settled in early settlement panel, the lawyers earnings would be cut to shreds. They couldn't allow that.

twalsh4440 February 02 2014 at 9:23 AM

Congrats on getting something out of the SCUMBAG Lawyer , EVIL Judge. and Bad parts of the system. Like everyone there are WONDERFUL Lawyers I know some and BAD Lawyers. also some. We need to get the BAD ones out, but like ERIC HOLDER it is tough

esaustew February 02 2014 at 9:24 AM

Who?

Brutal February 02 2014 at 9:26 AM

Corrupt judges and attorneys are basically cowards and cannot handle the pressure of looking over their shoulder for the rest of their miserable lives. Make sure they know who they are dealing with. You may not be able to stop them from screwing you ... but you can definitely stop them from screwing anyone else. Just make sure they know that.

keedyk87 February 02 2014 at 1:51 PM

One cannot expect Justice from Lawyers who have neither an understanding of, or belief in such? Our society is filled with mostly psedo whatever their college degreed referrers to them as? If they have a major in anything other than Science where the lab requires real proof? Due to a system of education that thinks Human Studies can rely on memorization alone to understand subject matter that REQUIRES life experience for real UNDERSTANDING! As the younger the graduate in any area of the Humanities now referred to as the social sciences is? The less to certainly likely they will not Understand what they are talking about due to lack of life Experience!

pe12427 keedyk87 February 02 2014 at 2:23 PM

This is a great comment and sums many of the problems with our society in general. Unfortunately these people can always get a job with the government.

Brian Workman February 02 2014 at 1:46 PM

Good for Craig Schelske!!

pooleconsulting Brian Workman February 02 2014 at 2:09 PM

YEA --- a male finally won one....