Read Obama's State of the Union speech

Excerpts of President Barack Obama's State of the Union address Tuesday, as released in advance by the White House:

"In the coming months, let's see where else we can make progress together. Let's make this a year of action. That's what most Americans want - for all of us in this chamber to focus on their lives, their hopes, their aspirations. And what I believe unites the people of this nation, regardless of race or region or party, young or old, rich or poor, is the simple, profound belief in opportunity for all - the notion that if you work hard and take responsibility, you can get ahead."

"Let's face it: That belief has suffered some serious blows. Over more than three decades, even before the Great Recession hit, massive shifts in technology and global competition had eliminated a lot of good, middle-class jobs, and weakened the economic foundations that families depend on."

"Today, after four years of economic growth, corporate profits and stock prices have rarely been higher, and those at the top have never done better. But average wages have barely budged. Inequality has deepened. Upward mobility has stalled. The cold, hard fact is that even in the midst of recovery, too many Americans are working more than ever just to get by - let alone get ahead. And too many still aren't working at all."

"Our job is to reverse these tides. It won't happen right away, and we won't agree on everything. But what I offer tonight is a set of concrete, practical proposals to speed up growth, strengthen the middle class and build new ladders of opportunity into the middle class. Some require congressional action, and I'm eager to work with all of you. But America does not stand still - and neither will I. So wherever and whenever I can take steps without legislation to expand opportunity for more American families, that's what I'm going to do."

"Opportunity is who we are. And the defining project of our generation is to restore that promise."

vampyreangelus January 28 2014 at 8:20 PM

Its like the old show To tell the truth, and he never does.

DAVID LEAVELL January 28 2014 at 8:31 PM

AOL please open a new page labeled comics and include articles like the above.

dannybishop5 January 29 2014 at 8:20 AM

Silence! I King Obama hereby decree that all in my presence shall bow or be drawn and quartered. I shall rule with an iron hand and not be questioned as to my purpose'none of you are worthy to even touch my feces.this is my order and you must obey. I need no congress or senate to make my rules, or nay lip except for Nancy Pelosi to give a reach around now go I am tired of listening to poor peasants who have no clue . PRAISE BE ALI!!!!!~!~~

jjr526 January 28 2014 at 8:33 PM

Please.....more lies and campaign speech from this incompetent.

Paul jjr526 January 29 2014 at 5:39 AM

Make no mistake: Obama knows exactly what he is doing.

sahpdm5 January 28 2014 at 8:35 PM

It was leaked on purpose, but why?
F

jt2 January 28 2014 at 8:35 PM

oh, yeah. his staff leaks so much stuff, if they were a ship it would have sunk by now. instead the U.S. is sinking. why don't they just say oh, here's part of the speech, are you idiots going to buy this or is everyone now on to our lies?

grammaphone January 29 2014 at 7:30 AM

All our leaders assemble, all on their own agenda, to give themselves a " Well Done " !
The majority of them should be ashamed of themselves !

navcam January 29 2014 at 6:54 AM

Shuck and Jive..........

johnfortworth January 28 2014 at 8:19 PM

Remember GM (Government Motors), My stock value was reduced to nothing. I got nothing for my stock. Yet, GM has resurfaced with parts of my equity intact and using the value of my stock to start a new company. I got nothing in the new company. The governmnet dissolved the old company on laws made up as it went to form a new GM. We live in a lawless society. Give me a break Mr. President!

VincentMVNY johnfortworth January 28 2014 at 8:30 PM

This was the first break in the rule of law in the USA. Stockholders like you got screwed while they made it up as they went along. And GM bondholders who should have been BY LAW the first in line to be paid were pushed aside and the unions were moved into their place.
How does he get away with this???

ggnpopeye01 johnfortworth January 28 2014 at 8:32 PM

So true of more than just GM. We are all losers under Obama unless we are illegals, or are unemployed by choice. He will find a way to dole out a better living for them

ocala777 January 29 2014 at 9:34 AM

i am so proud of all you people who see threw his b.s. when i said negative things about obama they called me a racist. i worked in the gov and know people juust like him who play dress up but no brains. thank you thank you for seeing him for who he is.