AOL.com
AOL.com
AOL.com

Netherlands soldiers form a human wall for brake test

Netherlands Soldiers Form a Human Wall for Brake Test

A hair-raising brake test was all caught on video ... and you definitely should not try this at home (or anywhere else).

Soldiers were recruited to test the emergency brakes on a military tank in the Netherlands.

WHDH reports the tank weighs 60 tons and was traveling at a speed of 45 miles per hour right toward the laughing soldiers right in front of it.

'Had the brakes failed,' KHPO reports, 'they would be nothing left of those hapless but well dressed humans standing in front of the tank.' So, are these people daring or reckless? That's up to you to decide.

Either way, a writer for Business Insider points out that if this video 'came out of the American armed forces, heads would be serving jail time.'

And of course, there were some skeptics. A writer for 2 Oceans Vibe notes that 'the tank test dummies look genuinely surprised that they didn't become roadkill .. . Which begs the very serious question, how certain were they that this stunt was actually possible?'

Thankfully, no one was hurt -- but we imagine the hair on the backs of their necks is still standing on end.

More From You

127 Comments
*0 / 3000 Character Maximum
Filter by:
Brian Workman January 29 2014 at 11:26 PM

BFD!!!

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
dreadnght January 29 2014 at 11:24 PM

No biggie. Tanks have the best braking system in the world. Lots of rubber road pads on the track shoes to screech to a halt. It just takes a little practice to keep at a constant speed (35mph is a bit low for that tank) and the driver to spot the (hidden) marker alongside the road as to when the hit the brake pedal. The tank stopped well behind the group of men.

I know. I've driven M-41A1 Bulldogs. Though only 25 tons, they can stop on a dime.

Okay, the dime slides along under the track pad a few inches. But they can stop fast. They are supposed to should a mine field be spotted just ahead.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
robert.hall49 January 29 2014 at 10:05 PM

First you know they tested it before and marked out the stopping point. Second it was 10' short of them, not that close. Some of us don't have that gene that makes us afraid of everything. Have you ever raced in a figure 8 race? Afterwards I was signing autographs for kids and the adults were asking if I was afraid and I admitted that I was laughing the whole time. I was laughing so hard that I couldn't hear my spotter...lol. Racing is a blast, I did it on a race track with safety gear because I am not stupid.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
eddwal50@aol.com January 29 2014 at 9:59 PM

If the video is real why are the so called soldiers in civilian clothing where are their uniforms it looks like a blue screen was used the dust raised by the tank never reaches the soldiers

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
jpweg5 January 29 2014 at 9:54 PM

German made Leopard tank. Germans have always made great tanks.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
tinabauble January 29 2014 at 9:53 PM

um Newsy chic... your eyeshadow is messed up

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
FJCRoadglide January 29 2014 at 8:18 PM

Can we get some of our Leaders to take their place.........

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
chasboard January 29 2014 at 8:06 PM

True story. When I lived in Uganda years ago I had to get my car "inspected" to get new license plates. The government worker in a white jump suite tested the brakes on my car in the same way, but driving it toward a solid brick wall at 20 miles per hour. I watched it all happen with my mouth wide open I am sure. The experience gave me another unbelievable, but true, story to tell. Fortunately my brakes worked well.

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
1 reply to chasboard's comment
kv4392 January 29 2014 at 10:39 PM

Iwould Not have Trusted my braks though It May be new Breaks or new Car..........whats the guareented Breaks were good

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
tumblwd3 January 29 2014 at 7:28 PM

I vote stupid and careless...They laugh now but could have been burial bate too...I would be mad if it was one of my children...

Reply Flag as Abusive +2 rate up rate down
elendil3136 January 29 2014 at 7:26 PM

I promise that they tested this more than once to see what the actual stopping distance was. This was not the first time that they had tried this.

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down