AOL.com
AOL.com
AOL.com

Life when you're pregnant ... and have cancer

Pregnant with Cervical Cancer

Becky Lyle credits her 2-year-old daughter Gianna with saving her life.

WMTW reports that while Lyle was pregnant, doctors discovered she had cervical cancer.

'It came as a surprise, because everything up until then had been normal,' Lyle said.

She went to the doctor's office on a regular basis and always had a pap test when recommended, so when doctors found a cancerous polyp during her pregnancy, Lyle was shocked.

'They noticed the polyp was growing, which was a tumor and it started growing very fast. It all happened so fast.'

Lyle's doctors decided it was best for her to deliver her baby through cesarean section as soon as the baby was full term.

What should have been one of the happiest times for Lyle and her family turned out to be the most stressful.

To help deal with everything, Lyle said she turned to friends, family and the people at the Cancer Community Center in South Portland.

'Cancer is a club you don't really want to be in, but there are a lot of people in the club ... it is really a journey you don't have to take by yourself,' Amy Anderson said.

Anderson is with the Cancer Community Center and she describes Lyle as a big part of the organization, lending support to other cancer patients and providing hope and inspiration.

'To be 30 and pregnant and diagnosed with cancer, I don't know if many of us would rise to the occasion that Becky did,' Anderson said. 'She inspires me and I know she inspires so many people in our community.'

Lyle is doing incredibly well now ... and she has another baby on the way.

More From You

29 Comments
*0 / 3000 Character Maximum
Filter by:
Pedro January 29 2014 at 6:10 PM

God made us all different . I am glad that most of us are not like del kingston. Jesus said, "If you hate your brother, you are a murderer....." I hope you grow up soon, del kingston, and see that we are all made in God's image and therefore equally valuable........ Remember that murderers, idolaters, thieves, liars, etc., will be cast into the lake of fire, so you shuold change your ways (Quickly!) because Jesus will return soon...... Not convinced?? Check out Spiritlessons or Raptureready........

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
Judy Stockstill January 29 2014 at 1:18 PM

As a friend said, "I know I stand the tallest when I am kneeling humbly before God in this cancer desert..."

Reply Flag as Abusive +7 rate up rate down
Storm January 29 2014 at 1:06 PM

God gave us people like JOhn to test our faith. See this lovely woman made it thru her pregnancy and cancer so it goes to show you that mitacles happen. In 1958 my mother was given 6 months to live after she had colbalt and radiation for cervical and uterine cancer. She went to the Basilica in New Orleans and did a 6 week Novena to St. Jude. WHen she went back for her check up he cancer had been arrested. my mother died 35 years later at 94 years of age. How does that grab ya John?

Reply Flag as Abusive +3 rate up rate down
Dwan January 29 2014 at 12:43 PM

Bless you, Becky!!! I haven't had the joy of being pregnant (although hubby and I have two wonderful adopted sons), butI have had cancer. I'm so grateful to Almighty God for bringing your first little girl into the world safely, and I'm grateful for the healing that is occurring in you! You have my heartfelt prayers for a safe delivery of this little one! If I make it to June with no further occurence, it will be 12 years cancer free!

Reply Flag as Abusive +5 rate up rate down
base3014 January 29 2014 at 12:39 PM

Becky, I am happy for you and proud of you. I had a similar experience, and it really is a tough one. I know some of the lessons you will learn much younger than most. You will appreciate EVERYTHING, and EVERYONE. You won't take anything for granted. You will love a lot, and unconditionally. You will not judge people. It is like you see the whole world differently, like none of that stuff matters, as long as you can be alive and well, enjoy your life and everything around you. You probably already are experiencing all of this. My experience was not as bad as yours. I thank God that I am alive. I am so surprised that you could keep your reproductive organs. I am going to try to follow your story. Good luck. God Bless.

Reply Flag as Abusive +6 rate up rate down
ge0rgechevrolet January 29 2014 at 11:42 AM

I was thinking the same thing. It is absolutely discutsting

Reply Flag as Abusive -18 rate up rate down
1 reply to ge0rgechevrolet's comment
hellyon3too January 29 2014 at 12:44 PM

So is your spelling.

Reply Flag as Abusive +2 rate up rate down
tizzmine January 29 2014 at 11:23 AM

CANCER IS 98% SELF INFLICTED BY DIET AND EXPOSURE......LOOK AT HER....FAT....WHAT DOES SHE EAT LIKE,,,,,,YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT

Reply Flag as Abusive -34 rate up rate down
7 replies to tizzmine's comment
ae12wrangell January 29 2014 at 10:38 AM

I don't see anything wrong with birth via C-Section. But two for the price of one? Cancer AND Pregnant? Thats just not fair.

Reply Flag as Abusive +5 rate up rate down
astarcrossed January 29 2014 at 10:22 AM

I, too, carried my now 22 year old son while I had malignant cervical cancer. No big deal, he's perfectly healthy. I've had no new diagnosis since 1994.

Reply Flag as Abusive +12 rate up rate down
1 reply to astarcrossed's comment
ge0rgechevrolet January 29 2014 at 11:43 AM

Sure you did. Next...

Reply Flag as Abusive -10 rate up rate down
Cindy January 29 2014 at 8:23 AM

Best wishes to her and her family.

Reply Flag as Abusive +5 rate up rate down