Heroin Laced With Fentanyl Blamed For 22 Deaths In PA

Heroin Laced With Fentanyl Blamed For 22 Deaths In PA
Authorities in Pennsylvania believe at least 22 people are dead from exposure to a lethal drug cocktail of heroin and the cancer painkiller fentanyl.

"Fentanyl is 100 times more powerful than morphine. One man told us he almost died when he tried it."
"I slowly, slowly lost consciousness and was overdosing in front of my girlfriend." (Via WPXI)

On the streets, it's known as "Theraflu," and officials have asked hospitals to be on the lookout for more overdoses. They are worried the powerful drug could spread to other parts of the state. (Via WPVI)

"17 people died just last week. Folks who know anything are being asked to step up and report the problem before more deaths occur." (Via WTAE)

The CDC reports it comes in crystals or crystalline powder. Fentanyl is an opioid that alleviates pain without the loss of consciousness. It's estimated to be 80 times as potent as morphine and 100 times more potent than heroin.

The problem isn't new to the area. Last year, at least 50 people in Pennsylvania died from the same lethal mix. The state even issued a fentanyl warning last summer. (Via Metro)

CNN quotes Dr. Karl Williams, chief medical examiner in Pennsylvania's Allegheny County, which saw 15 overdoses in the past week. He says,

"This is not accidental. Somebody is deliberately trying to make a big batch of fentanyl. It is not an extraordinarily complex molecule to synthesize, and you can find instructions on the Internet. It does not take a sophisticated chemist to do this."

Police in Pennsylvania say they are teaming up, doing everything they can to get the drug off the street.

Alan January 28 2014 at 9:25 AM

when they catch the makers of this drug, they should be charged with homicide and then served with life sentences or the death penalty.

sparticlistic January 28 2014 at 9:39 AM

I don't get it... Convicted Killers families are sueing state law enforcement and correction agencies (for money), in some states, because they think their loved ones suffered when they were executed for their crimes. They don't like the lethal cocktail used to kill them (what they really don't like is capital punishment).
Here is a drug that is proven to do the job. Lethal drug cocktail of heroin and the cancer painkiller fentanyl.
Please, if you live in a state that does not have the brains to know what drugs, quickly, painlessly, kill convicted murderers/killers leaving them with a smile on their faces , please contact them and pass on the information.

gldphoenix3 January 28 2014 at 9:38 AM

This is a little misleading (of course)... these are not unsuspecting cancer patients dying due to a breakdown in the system; these are drug addicts who know exactly what they are putting into their bodies. Don't get the wrong idea, this is horrible and needs to be addressed but the headline lead me to think someone adulterated the drug supply. Good job AOL!

LOU gldphoenix3 January 28 2014 at 9:42 AM

Quite right, Most headlines(if not all ) are designed to get your attention so you read the article.
It's very misleading.

long51flip gldphoenix3 January 28 2014 at 10:14 AM

Exactly

chckpope January 28 2014 at 9:38 AM

There is a reason they say "DOPE IS FOR DOPES!"
"Hey BillyBob, that dang dealer gave us some bad ****!" They're not your local pharmacist.

Love my Dolls! January 28 2014 at 9:48 AM

Once again - the FDA removes something as simple as Darvocet off the market.

lacdenis Love my Dolls! January 28 2014 at 9:57 AM

Read the article before you comment. If you don't understand the content then don't comment.

peteycat915 Love my Dolls! January 28 2014 at 10:00 AM

And in order to get my decongestant tablets, I have to get them from the pharmacist, show my ID, and sign imy name in some sort of log book.

ALAN peteycat915 January 28 2014 at 10:17 AM

Because you can 'cook' METH from those.

Flag 0 rate up
SeaboardStation January 28 2014 at 9:34 AM

Anyone caught selling any type of synthetic narcotics should be charged with attempted murder at the least, and murder if someone dies from their use. The people selling stuff like this know what will happen with its use and should pay with their own lives.

vtmichaelb SeaboardStation January 28 2014 at 9:39 AM

And selling heroin isn't attempted murder? People die from heroin every day!

endmillll January 28 2014 at 9:41 AM

Its sad you cant get drugs or meds that the drug dealers havent got there hands on yet.

unyi9 January 28 2014 at 10:32 AM

what a diabolical bunch of SOB's. To make a substance that kills is just diabolical and cruel. I hope the cops catch the SOB's who are doing this to a vunerable community!!!

Dewey January 28 2014 at 9:48 AM

Dont do heroin. Simple

lacdenis Dewey January 28 2014 at 9:57 AM

Ding!

Cornelia January 28 2014 at 10:32 AM

these people who do these type of things and are addicted to these drugs ruin proper health care for those of us who require it. there are people, including myself, who require narcotic drug therapy and these abusers make it very hard for us. I am very careful with mine and my pain management doctor does drug tests at least yearly are looking out for me and all patients under his care and I am glad he does. I abide by his rules he gave me the first time I went to see him. if you research drug management I hope will find the clinics who do abide by the rules laid down by their state's law and/or federal laws and the people who are given these drugs there would not be near as much trouble. this incident is definitely someone like the people who put cyanide in Tylenol and other stuff. I pray this does not ruin or make it harder for us who really need it.
cornelia