Ernest Moniz, Secretary of Energy, will miss the State of the Union

How This Man Could Become President

WASHINGTON (AP) -- And the answer to the annual trivia contest about which Cabinet secretary will miss President Barack Obama's State of the Union address is: Ernest Moniz.

White House officials say Moniz, the energy secretary, will be held back from Obama's speech. The traditional move is aimed at preserving government continuity in case of a catastrophe at the Capitol.

Practically all of the highest federal officials were attending the address, including Vice President Joe Biden, Congress' top leaders and most of the Cabinet. The Senate Historical Office says keeping a Cabinet member at an undisclosed location began in the early 1960s and maybe earlier.

The 69-year-old Moniz is a physicist from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology who became energy secretary last May. He succeeded Steven Chu, who missed last year's address.

© 2014 THE ASSOCIATED PRESS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED. Learn more about ourPRIVACY POLICY and TERMS OF USE.

treese1026 January 28 2014 at 8:48 PM

I knew a guy with a similar hairstyle, back in the 70's.

forests100 January 28 2014 at 8:52 PM

If they can put an innocent man to life in prison he did not commit, then should they shoot the ex
Mayor of Chicago for massive faud and missuse of his power, that he confessed to, because the Feds had him dead to right guilty. Why would any judge or for that matter jury, let this jerk out of prison? Because he is black, and priviledge in US courts. I hope not??????????????????????????

arimia713 forests100 January 28 2014 at 11:21 PM

What in the world are you talking about?

BigEd forests100 January 29 2014 at 11:30 AM

FOREST,
Where are you coming from? The comments here are in reply to the State of the Union speach given last night.
Wake up & smell the roses.

cplandman January 29 2014 at 6:31 AM

It is scary to think that last year Steven Chu could have been the last man standing. He is the idiot who gave Solyndra billions of dollars as it was filing for bankruptcy. That is just one of his FUBAR's.

jeromehill2 cplandman January 29 2014 at 8:13 AM

wonder how much was re-bated to the Obama personal account? some geek needs to follow "the money trail!" our DICTATOR has become very wealthy while in office. wonder how? shall we all guess?

inkmaker59 jeromehill2 January 29 2014 at 9:17 AM

They all get rich ,way do you think all those people want to be in congress or the white house. Case in point, clinton was paid 30000 as governor of AK and came out of the white house a multi mil.

Flag +2 rate up
petpetdon January 29 2014 at 6:25 AM

I am sure he is just as qualified to run the country as Obama is.

shawnstecks January 28 2014 at 8:58 PM

all we need to do now is vote out everybody that's left while we have them cornered

forests100 January 28 2014 at 9:01 PM

Are you getting fed up with political groups and even congressmen and others, all asking for money? I sure am, and gave, but no more. I have literally given to almost every None Profit and political groups and individuals, and am fed up with it. I have to pay for my medical needs, I have to pay for medical coverage even though I am dissabled, and live off my savings. Politicians and their families all enjoy Health Benefits wages that should be taxed, but, they have too many write offs. ,paid travel, trips abrourd, and great pensions and continued benefits. They should pay me!

Fallenrock January 28 2014 at 10:26 PM

I don't know the guy and bad hair didn't seem to matter to Einstein, but on the face of it, I'd feel a lot better if they would just ask the highest level cabinet member to watch it on tv somewhere.

flyingfortresb17 Fallenrock January 28 2014 at 10:45 PM

I would rather the administration (President) given congress a typed speech and saved time and money and television time. This action is nothing but a show for the parties and not for the people.

Paul FIQUET January 28 2014 at 9:11 PM

can you see Washington..Jefferson..franklin with a GI haircut ? get a life man....

gmgpjandon January 28 2014 at 9:50 PM

Don't believe a word of it. I've got the insider's word on it. He's out getting his hair done.

TheRicksCompany January 28 2014 at 9:50 PM

I thought he got held back for having a bad haircut.