Couple sleeps apart to stay together

Couple Sleeps Apart to Stay Together
Sleeping separately from your spouse might be a sign of a rocky relationship for some couples, but Arianne Cohen and her husband Nate think it actually keeps them healthy.

'I love the fact that we love each other so much, we protect each other's solitude,' Nate told 'GMA.'

Arianne and Nate have separate bedrooms, which helps them get great sleep and avoid each other's annoying habits. One family therapist says their situation is not out of the ordinary.

'Surprisingly, half of all married couples sleep separately. You just want to keep checking in and saying how is this going for you? Is this working for you?'

Arianne wrote a piece for Upwave, explaining why she thinks the two-bedroom solution is a really great one. She noted: 'Sleeping in my husband's room now truly feels like a date. Now that I enjoy eight hours of uninterrupted sleep at least twice a week, my mood is better -- and so is our quality of life.'

hpycmpr155 January 29 2014 at 8:55 PM

I have NEVER understood the idea of what is sooo wonderful about sleeping together.
It just does not work for me and my husband (of 35 years).
We have alwyas had separate rooms and it has worked for us just fine.

tvprich January 29 2014 at 12:54 PM

I too have a separate bedroom right next to my fiance'. I have insomnia and she snores. After we do the cuddling thing she starts to nod off (and start snoring), I then slip out and go to my room for a couple more hours of tossing and turning 'till I knock out. It's a lot better than being forced to endure the snoring, or her to feel my turning all night. Maybe it's not perfect, but our love for each other makes it work out.

hellyon3too tvprich January 29 2014 at 3:36 PM

You know, if it works for you, it's perfect enough. No need to measure your sleeping arrangements by what works for someone else.

kathrine1953 January 29 2014 at 8:04 PM

My husband and I have been married over 41 years, Sleeping in separate rooms works great for us. Over the years our sleeping habits have changed alot and this insures that we both get a better quality of sleep. We are both retired btw and need some space.

hpycmpr155 kathrine1953 January 29 2014 at 8:58 PM

Thank you.
We have been maried for 35 years and I can count the number of times we have slept in the same bed.
We have totally different sleeping habits.
We have our own rooms and we are quite happy.

MIMI January 29 2014 at 1:36 PM

We've been married 46 yrs and I just got to the point that I can't sleep with my husband anymore. He takes up 3/4th of the bed and won't let me sleep on my right side. He gets mad when I try to move him. Plus I stay up late and like to read. The light bothers him. I sleep so much better in the guest room.

laura January 29 2014 at 7:37 PM

I use to think they dont love each other as much being apart, but I now love haveing the bed to myself, we have same room, but after all the cuddling and watching TV, when we are ready to go to sleep, he goes into the spare room. Then his kicking and snoreing dont keep me awake. And we do sleep together sometimes.

RON&SHARON January 29 2014 at 7:34 PM

been married 31 years and sleep in different rooms that way we get a good night sleep I have to get up at 4am no since waking him up

lilly295 RON&SHARON January 29 2014 at 8:11 PM

amen to that.

jjbwnyc January 29 2014 at 1:49 PM

thats awesome! sleeping apart is also much cleaner and healthier

bronzemarigolds January 29 2014 at 1:57 PM

I have to sleep seperate from my husband for survival. I love my husband dearly but he was actually killing me when I slept with him. He is a very large man, snores, and is a cuddler who would throw his very large leg over my ribcage. That was horrible because I am very small. One of my ribs actually broke once. When I finally got my own seperate place to sleep I finally got some rest and stopped feeling like my whole body was breaking. I do wish we could sleep together but I dont think I would live very long if we did. LOL

little miss January 29 2014 at 1:59 PM

i had this terrific partner, everything was just perfect until we went out of towne,, we made love several times then watched the san diego news . after five minutes his snoring was like a Train and 10 Motercycles (the super race kind)... evev the assistant manager called on the phone to say people on both sides of our room called the desk to complain about the NOISE..
All night long (7 hrs of listening) I had to wake him several times to tell him his snoring could wake the DEAD..... At Breakfiest at a Golden Coral on the Corner just 45 feet from the Motel we discussed his snoring and he was rather testy about this subject and he said I WONT DISCUSS THIS ANYMORE... PERIOD,, THAT WEEKEND saturday night I told him I had a lot of unexpected work i had to do for my Company and I needed a seperaate room with Internet, well that trip back to Orange county just 100 miles we sat in QUITE, I got out of the car, grabbed my luggage and my laptop amd SAID GOOD BY FOREVER, I WENT BACK TO MY OLD MATE AND WE MARRIED A YEAR LATER AND I RAN INTO THE SNORING KING, HE JUST HAD SURGERY TO CORRECT THE PROBLEM, THEN HE NOTICED MY WEDDING RING AND HE SAID,,, WOW!!!!!!! YOU ARE MARRIED, WAS IT MY SNORRING THAT DROVE YOU OFF????? YES IT WAS, HE SAID i WAS THE THIRD PERSON TO BRING UP THE PROBLEM,,, ONE LADY SAID WE WOULD NEED SEPERATE MOTELS,,,(damm caps lock) sorrrrrry

terry.filkohazi January 29 2014 at 2:36 PM

I hate sleeping with someone else, and now being single again, after a long marriage, and a short engagement, I actually love sleeping alone. There's no: "You're stealing the covers; no you are" My ex fiancé liked the radio on while he slept and I prefer quiet and dark. I like to read in bed and nosh. I also snore, I know this, no lie. So, if ever(um, never) I was dumb, foolish, stupid, etc. to get in a relationship that entailed bed-sharing, that'd be, oh, HELL NO!!