nb_cid nb_clickOther -tt-nb this.style.behavior='url(#default#homepage)';this.setHomePage('http://www.aol.com/?mtmhp=acm50s247banner041514 network-banner-promo mtmhpBanner
AOL.com
AOL.com
AOL.com

Couple sleeps apart to stay together

Couple Sleeps Apart to Stay Together
Sleeping separately from your spouse might be a sign of a rocky relationship for some couples, but Arianne Cohen and her husband Nate think it actually keeps them healthy.

'I love the fact that we love each other so much, we protect each other's solitude,' Nate told 'GMA.'

Arianne and Nate have separate bedrooms, which helps them get great sleep and avoid each other's annoying habits. One family therapist says their situation is not out of the ordinary.

'Surprisingly, half of all married couples sleep separately. You just want to keep checking in and saying how is this going for you? Is this working for you?'

Arianne wrote a piece for Upwave, explaining why she thinks the two-bedroom solution is a really great one. She noted: 'Sleeping in my husband's room now truly feels like a date. Now that I enjoy eight hours of uninterrupted sleep at least twice a week, my mood is better -- and so is our quality of life.'

More From You

281 Comments
*0 / 3000 Character Maximum
Filter by:
jktkw February 05 2014 at 5:15 PM

my wife and I sleep apart and are quite happy with that...screw anybody else who doesn't like it!!

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
edlearn1234 January 30 2014 at 2:25 AM

That is not love

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
1 reply to edlearn1234's comment
jktkw February 05 2014 at 5:13 PM

sadly, you have no idea what you are talking about.......love has nothing to do with sleeping arrangements

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
cat5400 January 30 2014 at 2:14 AM

My husband snores and flails and talks in his sleep, he always has. I am a light sleeper, he could sleep though anything. One night he actually woke me up playing the piano on my head. When I started thinking about smothering him with a pillow due to sleep depravation it was time to go our separate ways to sleep. It works for us.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
goshiluvu January 30 2014 at 12:30 AM

I don't care what anyone says, when you reach the different bedrooms stage you are in trouble ( and yes, I was there)

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
1 reply to goshiluvu's comment
jktkw February 05 2014 at 5:13 PM

bull...I suspect that you were in trouble right from the beginning

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
Amber Dawn January 29 2014 at 11:22 PM

I snore. Loudly. (I later in life found it was from sleep apnia) My wife is an extremely light sleeper but I sleep like a log. She sleeps for ten hours or more a night and I sleep for five or six. She goes to bed at nine pm and I go to bed at one am. We found early in our marraige that our sleep habits were completely incompatible and the best solution was separate bedrooms. Forty years of a mostly happy marraige, three kids, seven grand kids and one great grandkid later has proven the solution to be the right one.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
kbryan6829 January 29 2014 at 11:12 PM

My husband and I have been married for 22 years. We sleep in separate rooms. It's the best! We like watching different t.v. shows. I also like being on my laptop and talking on the phone. We share beds just at the right time, then he goes to his room and he also brings me breakfast in bed! loving it!!

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
pj512 January 29 2014 at 10:58 PM

My father snored like a big bear and my mother couldn't sleep. So she moved herself into another bedroom and got to sleep and be a happier person. It worked because my father passed away two days before their 60th anniversary. Sleep is very important to your body and wellbeing. If you can't sleep because of something your partner is doing, that's not good.

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
klasakt January 29 2014 at 10:44 PM

I don't think it is all that strange. A century ago and longer married couples had separate bedrooms. I am beginning to think that it would be more restful AND make the time spent together more intimate.

Reply Flag as Abusive +2 rate up rate down
Ed. January 29 2014 at 10:37 PM

NOTHING LIKE A WARM FEMALS BODY NEXT TOYOU.

Reply Flag as Abusive +2 rate up rate down
2 replies to Ed.'s comment
whdlsn January 29 2014 at 10:42 PM

As long as she doesn't "Field-Dress" out at over 275 #

Reply Flag as Abusive -2 rate up rate down
raeinsurance January 29 2014 at 11:18 PM

After looking at your avitar, I doubt thats a feeling you have ever experienced. Good try though..

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
Chris January 29 2014 at 10:29 PM

Both of us had been divorced and, while single after divorce, discovered that we got a MUCH better night's sleep alone in bed. So, 10 years ago when we had a new home built, we created a master bedroom large enough to have her queen bed in one alcove and my calif. king bed in another area and we sleep SO well. But the "rule" is that whoever gets into bed first, the other HAS to jump in bed and snuggle with them for at least a little bit before going our separate ways to sleep. And there's certainly no shortage of romance.

Reply Flag as Abusive +3 rate up rate down