Business more optimistic, but still not hiring

Unemployment Insurance

Businesses expect their companies to perform better this year but that optimism still isn't translating into a push to hire more workers, according to a new survey from the National Association for Business Economics.

Of the 64 members who responded to NABE's January survey, most said they saw stronger sales in the final months of 2013, and 43 percent expect their companies to modestly hike selling prices this year. That's the highest percentage in more than 12 months. Most respondents don't expect the new health care law or the Federal Reserve's easing of its stimulus policies to have a major impact on business, either. However only 37 percent expect to create jobs in the next six months, the same as in NABE's October survey.

For the fourth quarter, only about a quarter of respondents said their companies expanded payrolls. Those most likely to report increased hiring were from the manufacturing, finance, insurance and real estate sectors.

The U.S. unemployment rate fell to 6.7 percent in December, its lowest point in more than five years. But that wasn't because people found jobs. Rather, they stopped looking for work altogether, making them no longer counted as unemployed.

About 70 percent of those who responded to NABE's survey predict that the economy will grow between 2.1 and 3 percent this year. That too is little changed from October, but it is more optimistic than the 2.3 percent growth forecast by the Fed. On Thursday, the Conference Board reported that its index of leading indicators rose modestly in December, suggesting that growth will remain steady early this year.

The survey results "suggest that economic growth accelerated to a moderate pace during the fourth quarter of 2013 from its modest pace the previous quarter," said NABE President Jack Kleinhenz, principal and chief economist at Kleinhenz and Associates in Cleveland, in a statement.

The survey, released Monday, analyzed responses given between Dec. 19 and Jan. 6 from members with companies employing anywhere from 1 to more than 1,000 workers.

© 2014 THE ASSOCIATED PRESS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED. Learn more about ourPRIVACY POLICY and TERMS OF USE.

Artsfww January 27 2014 at 12:05 PM

the jobs are going to China, where else

deebeedonny Artsfww January 27 2014 at 12:35 PM

yes, the jobs have gone to China. During 2000-2008 while George was steering the ship, there were more american jobs outsourced than any other administration in history... Many iconic american companies built and relocated operations to foreign countries while they closed down american factories, outsourced jobs, stipped profits, then filed bankruptcy, stripped workers pensions, leaving stranded hundreds of thousands of american workers, then getting those hefty Bush tax code provisions that gave them hefty tax breaks, write-offs, loopholes for doing so. There were claims that the now Republican Senator from Pennsylvania, before he was elected, was hired by a Chinese billionaire and was responsible for thousands of Pennsylvania jobs being shipped to China. Now, this guy sits on the US Senate??????

Jetncat January 27 2014 at 12:37 PM

Do you really want the answer? I doubt it but here is the link.

Bet you don't even care to find out.

Mike Jetncat January 27 2014 at 12:55 PM

Are you saying that Harry Reid is not permitting the Senate to act on all those Jobs Bills? How can that be? Reid along with all other Democrats are friends of the middle class! I am completely devastated by this news! Shocked and appalled! Actually not really surprised -we're dealing with Reid, the Senate's version of Pelosi.

dvsjudy January 27 2014 at 11:19 AM

May I share with you a real face of unemployment. A very common face.
Downsized four time with no fault of my own. Worked everyday since I was 9 years old in my mother and fathers very small convenience store...Ma and Pa that was literally put out of business by Circle K and other corporate chain convenience stores. Woke up at five with my mom to help put the evening supper because she left at 5:30 am to return after 7:00 pm. weary feet swollen and my dad worked at Savannah Sugar refinery for over 40 years with no layoff or downsizing. He never, ever missed a days work and my mother who had epilepsy never closes the store seven days a week. I worked there until I went away to school on an academic scholarship. I worked with the scholarship and I worked during college with a A average. So much for the lazy with a low IQ theory. I worked, sold Mary Kay and Avon products to assist with my "Full Time Job" to afford to buy a decent home and a inexpensive car.
I am a trained social worker..went in the fields to assist needy families of all races, age, and social background. U was taught to give back to the community. My school teacher friends and I often worked part-time jobs to supplement our salaries. I have been in the job market professionaly for forty years. Rarely took a vacation, or owned anything LUXURY, because to keep up with roof repairs, car repairs and medical and dental expenses you definitely needed to prioritize.
I was downsizes twice in three years with no fault of my own. I am sixty one....looking for work.
Went through savings and annuities just to stay out of a homeless shelter. Bought a used car for 1000.00 dollars from a former boss who felt sorry for me and I paid him 100.00 a month. My dental experience was horrific because I could not afford to pay 2000.00 for a root canal and crown.
My unemployment benefits were just enough not to drown. But drowning was an everyday fear as I search for work so relentlessly I felt I was having a nervous breakdown waiting for a call back or a letter. too old, overqualified, projected I would not stay in the position if something better happened, afraid I would take the managers position. You name a reason and I've heard it.
Still looking because I am used to working and the dignity it affords me. when my EUC benefits were cut with the 1.3 million other Americans, I went into a panic. if I lose my home, I can't even afford to store my furniture or pay a moving services.
I am the face of the unemployed. Blame whom ever you please. I can't! Because I have always been an above excellent worker. In my circle of friends we just want to get back to work as soon as possible. If jobs were as easy to find then I would have looked even when I had a low paying job for better wages. I needed a tire once that would go flat every 10 days and it could not hold air. My unemployment benefit of 256.00 dollars help me purchase a used tire, fill my prescription, buy some detergent to wash clothes.

charlesjbarneysr January 27 2014 at 11:19 AM

The government should be mandated to include the people who have stopped looking for work as part of the unemployed numbers. We keep getting glowing reports of recovery in our economy and it has barely recovered if it has recovered at all. Not including the folks who have given up hope and stopped looking deceives the public into thinking that things are getting better when they are not.

BILL charlesjbarneysr January 27 2014 at 11:50 AM

Agree whole heartedly, people just don't want to accept this because they can't see through the wool the well off people put over their eyes.

petesehria January 27 2014 at 12:38 PM

Like a "LOT" of other businesses we are just trying to keep the payroll under 50 employees because of Obamacare. Getting automated equipment is helping. Our margins are too close to absorb the increase and customers won't take the cost increase. At $15 an hour minimum wage, we will have to shut down.

Julie petesehria January 27 2014 at 1:04 PM

THAT IS SIMPLY NOT TRUE. COSTCO PAYS IT'S EMPLOYEES A LIVING WAGE AND MANAGES TO STAY IN BUSINESS. AND MANY STATES ARE ENACTING A BETTER MINIMUM WAGE LAWS TO HELP PEOPLE PUT FOOD ON THE TABLE AND A ROOF OVER THEIR HEADS. GREEDY COMPANIES ARE THE CAUSE OF THE LOSS OF JOBS IN THIS COUNTRY. ALSO, SENDING AMERICAN JOBS TO THIRD WORLD COUNTRIES AT AN AWFUL COST TO AMERICAN WORKERS JUST SO THE COMPANIES CAN HAVE A FEW MILLION MORE.

American 1st petesehria January 27 2014 at 1:50 PM

petesehria-

You and a lot of others.

andrewcranky January 27 2014 at 11:12 AM

If you want jobs in the US.
The only way is to buy American made products.
Manufacturers only hire people when they can no longer fill demand with the workforce they have on hand.
Buying products made in China, Mexico, ext. ext. Does not increase demand for US made products. It reduces it.
Don't blame the government. Don't blame the corporations.
If you don't buy American. Blame yourself.

partsautomall January 27 2014 at 12:41 PM

unemployment is probably closer to 20 percent.obama is the depression.

Julie partsautomall January 27 2014 at 12:59 PM

You have it very wrong this is a BUSH depression. If you can read you know that BUSH is the president who caused the economy go into a depression with his policies, NOT PRESIDENT OBAMA. He is just trying to clean up the VAST MESS that BUSH left.

gstev75035 Julie January 27 2014 at 1:06 PM

Wake the hell up Julie. Obama is not clearing up anything. He is making it worse. Quit praying to your Barry idol.

Flag +6 rate up
Mike January 27 2014 at 12:43 PM

6.7 % unemployment!!!! The Obama administration trumpets this as often as they can.(I'm sure that somewhere during the State Of The Union address Obama will mention this). What the Obama administration DOES NOT mention(nor will Obama in his speech) is the Labor Force Participation Rate, which has dropped to 62.8 % matching October’s level, which was the lowest since 1978(Jimmy Carter's tenure in office).

Carter January 27 2014 at 12:15 PM

Hope and change has a price tag .

al12exb January 27 2014 at 10:58 AM

JUST A BUNCH OF BS.............................NO JOBS..........NO WORK.................PEOPLE GIVING UP.......................YA RIGHT UNEMPLOYMENT DOWN CAUSE PROPLR STOPPED LOOKING FOR WORK....DAHHHHHHHHHHHHH ......

Bobby Brown al12exb January 27 2014 at 11:19 AM

and for the boomers?--they say--looks like a good time to retire----that's what I said to -self---HA