AOL.com
AOL.com
AOL.com

Protests against World Cup planned in Brazil

WCup Official Song
SAO PAULO (AP) - Latin America's biggest country is bracing itself for a wave of nationwide protests against the World Cup organized via social networks.

Protests are expected in more than 30 cities including Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Salvador and Porto Alegre.

The Anonymous Rio protest group said on its Facebook page that "there will be no World Cup." It added that Saturday's "Operation Stop the World Cup" is this year's first act against the soccer tournament.

Last year, millions of people took to the streets across Brazil complaining of higher bus fares, poor public services and corruption while the country spends billions on the World Cup, which is scheduled to start in June.

"FIFA go home" was one of the mass movement's most popular chants, referring to the tournament's organizing body.

More From You

41 Comments
*0 / 3000 Character Maximum
Filter by:
Cowboy4440 January 26 2014 at 4:39 PM

Oh well

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
worldsynthesis January 26 2014 at 2:28 PM

With good reason !

Viva la OPOSICION !

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
hgdn January 26 2014 at 1:46 PM

I wear as a badge of honor the fact that until today, I never heard of Pitbull.
With all the musical talent that is native to Brasil , the appearance of him and Lopez is an insult to the nation.

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
benkosy January 26 2014 at 12:32 PM

Frankly, the protests are well justified and should go forward to stop the "World Cup" events at their respective locations in Brazil. Brazil does not need to host the "World Cup" to be on the International scene. Brazil is already " International " and does not need to host the World Cup to be recognized as such. What is happening with the Brazillian officials seeking to host these games in Brazil is about misplaced priorities , attention seeking, and the opportunities to further engage in illicit corruption. Across and around Brazil, millions of Brazilians can benefit from the billions set aside for the World Cup. These monies can be used to revitalize cities and neighborhoods and to generate economic improvement and investment in cities and towns. Furthermore, the monies should be invested in clean drinking water projects, affordable low-cost transportation, develop local economies in townships, municipalities and cities, invest in free and affordable health care systems for all across Brazil, invest in free technical , medical and traditional education for all Brazilians. Again, it is about misplaced priorities. Brazil can do without hosting the World Cup ; but can not go forward with the level of poverty that exists in the country, the lack of adequate health care for children and adults, the un-affordable transportation for the school children and the working people. I hope the officials listen to the voices, wants and demands of the Brazilian people -- because Brazilian people are priority number one; not the " World Cup", and that is the fact. In closing, it is such an " insult upon injury" to the Brazilian people to have Jennifer Lopez and the so called "Pit Bull" sing at the opening ceremonies. What an insult!!!! FIFA officials need to cancel and rescind the contracts with these singers and get their money back. Brazil is the land of a million, colorful songs and thousands of beautiful, wonderful singers and entertainers. Brazil doesn't need these "hand-picked" singers. Why Jennifer Lopez and Pit Bull ??????? This shows lack of good creative judgement on the part of FIFA officials and total disregard for Brazilian heritage and culture. There are wonderful local and International Brazilian singers that would be perfect to perform at the opening event for a fraction of the cost it takes to hire Jennifer Lopez and Pit Bull. Obviously, Brazilian people are not stupid, and that's why these protests are being planned to derail the commencement of the World Cup events. I support the Brazilian people 100,000%. The bottom line: Given the nature of corruption, some FIFA officials are bound to get richer from this World Cup, and, of course, at the expense of the Brazilian working people. This is about hungry, desperate FIFA officals who want to make millions of dollars from unsuspecting Brazilians and event-goers/spectators . That is absolutely wrong. I hope the Brazilian people pull the plug on the World Cup.

Reply Flag as Abusive +3 rate up rate down
2 replies to benkosy's comment
xsandxtoesx January 26 2014 at 1:13 PM

I'll say it again and I can speak for most of these South American countries that it is very disturbing to sometimes see children street clean cars and sell bakery to make ends meet. I have seen multiple videos of riots, I see the faces young men and women, college students, dropouts, unemployed, some anarchist, others going for the cause. They need to find other solutions though, what happened to community work for neighborhoods? I have seen even the worst areas of Chicago where the older men will teach to those who nobody cares about, mature them and get them on their feet, so they don't follow the same cycle of those who believe there is no way out. I always found it even more disturbing when protest happen, most of these people who are part of it are the ones who have not serve their families or communities; any help neither as to clean not even their own dishes or clothes or any small task. I was raised to be confidant and look after myself and see that the world is very cruel and beautiful, but know this the world, nor the people owe you nothing. You do it because it's necessary and it's right to help people without any hesitation. I cannot support these protest because the people end up destroying what pride or confidence they have in themselves. The only way I see to that this World Cup happens is for people to see what kind of world Brazil really is and let the news pour whether fake or real and of course support and celebrate the greatest sport in the world. Good people need to stand up and take a stand, not hesitate at any complainant or struggle they face. Until then I have seen even men/women who have no legs or arms do better then what the protesters do in their spare time.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
jaacui January 26 2014 at 2:26 PM

Thank you for your commentary. It says it all. I am Brazilian, fortunately not living in Brazil. I visit my family two, three times a year and I must admit that each time I go there I become more enraged with the government corruption which is apparent everywhere...kids smelling glue in plain sight on major avenue corners, buildings falling apart, people are afraid to leave their homes any time of the day or night afraid of being robbed, murdered. The citizens who can afford have bullet-proof cars. The situation in Brazil only gets worse. It is very sad because it is a beautiful country, rich in natural resources, and its people are great...always full of hope, generous, fun-loving, beautiful people. I totally agree about Jennifer Lopez and that other whatever person. Brazil is music, the best...and we have the best singers, musicians, song writers, etc. I hope you don't mind that I copied your comments on my facebook page. Thank you again.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
buzios3 January 26 2014 at 8:39 AM

The World Cup is a good thing for Brasil, but it is wrong to rise prices on bus fares and other services for the Brazilians people and others who save money to support it. When FIFA go home the Brazilian people still have to live. I support the Brazilian people on the one.

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
Home Resources January 26 2014 at 7:56 AM

My 1st trip to the Olympics was with my Dad in Mexico. Our entire family rented a villa for a week. Dad loved the Olympics and put money aside for each one. He was a plumber. Mom and Dad divorced and I finally went to the Barcelona, Atlanta, and Australia Olympics. By then it was obvious to me (and multitudes) that the athletes came 2nd, the visitors 3rd, and the residents of the city/country... DEAD LAST. This is a rich man's pastime much like the outrageous $$ paid for World Series and Super Bowl tickets. Beijing's air looks like fog! Whatever it cost to bring millions to Rio won't translate into anything useful for the masses. Rio is right, this isn't about the athletes but wrong to think they have a voice in money matters. Money talks, poor people protest.

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
thomashollman19 January 26 2014 at 7:29 AM

LET THE USERS OF ANY TYPE OF ENTERTAINMENT PAY THIER OWN WAY WHAT EVER THE SPORT IS THEY PUT NO FOOD ON MY TABLE

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
matchme176 January 26 2014 at 6:37 AM

With all the wonderful singers in Brazil, why did FIFA hire Jennifer Lopez and some idiot named Pit Bull?

Reply Flag as Abusive +2 rate up rate down
2 replies to matchme176's comment
buzios3 January 26 2014 at 8:41 AM

Very well put. I agree with you 100%

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
polliwink January 26 2014 at 9:46 AM

I agree with matchme176, Very disappointed!!!

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
Jim & Kathy January 26 2014 at 2:10 AM

treating your citizens better is more important than the business of Soccer.............sorry, Brazil....!!!!!!!!

Reply Flag as Abusive +5 rate up rate down
ladub1 January 25 2014 at 10:24 PM

Have it again in USA we made money and FIFA was happy

Reply Flag as Abusive +3 rate up rate down