AOL.com
AOL.com
AOL.com

Scottish couple never coming back to America

Bear Shocks Elderly Couple Visiting California

A couple visiting the US from Scotland is going to head home with a very crazy story to share.

In this incredible surveillance video, Bob and Irene McKeowns are seen calmly locking the door of their relative's Pasadena home while a bear lurks beside them. The camera then shows the obliviously couple walking out of the frame, likely towards their car, and the bear following right behind them.

Seconds later, Irene was getting into their car when Bob felt the bear rubbing up against his leg, at which point he ran back inside the house while Irene waited safely inside the locked vehicle.

Bob recaps the event to KABC: 'I felt something brush against my leg. I says, I left the dog in the house, shouldn't be here. So once I closed the door, I turned around and shouted 'It's a bear! It's a bear!'

Bob was able to get his bearings and get inside with just a small nick on his leg from a 'little bear swipe.'

More From You

203 Comments
*0 / 3000 Character Maximum
Filter by:
Dave January 25 2014 at 4:59 PM

I don't think that was a Panda; please advise. Thanks.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
Brenda January 25 2014 at 8:08 AM

Awww...Its ok..we forgive you. You can come back to our country if you want. Bears startle us sometimes too. Its a normal reaction. No harm done.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
stuflinn January 25 2014 at 8:00 AM

Not coming back to the U.S. because of it? They are from Scotland for Heaven's sake, a place where if you don't stay on the road when out on the Moors you get eaten by warewolves.

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
nhcoach2001 January 25 2014 at 7:51 AM

did he just grin and bear it?

Reply Flag as Abusive +2 rate up rate down
Josephine January 25 2014 at 7:21 AM

No harm done! Leave the bear alone!

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
nhisland January 25 2014 at 7:19 AM

I had a bear encounter last summer at my home in the Appalachian mountains. She was really fast. I mean zap, quick, whatever. I assume it to be a female based on size and a talk with park ranger. I was working outside and when I headed towards my porch, this furry babe ran from across the road, through my yard, down a bank, across the stream, up the bank, through the aho and up the hill in a blink of an eye. Black bears are not normally aggressive -- even the females --and this babe was probably afraid of me -- go figure. LOL. BTW aho is a Finnish word meaning a wooded area where the trees are burned to create a glenn for agricultural purposes. When you live on a road named Aho, you know these things. I get tired of people telling me they named the road after me. Maybe that is why Miss Black Bear was afraid of me. I am old and fat and not good at all on the eyes but my hound dog loves me. If you are wondering where he was, he is 15, deaf and doesn't move very fast so I had him inside at the time. Actually, my wife thinks we are twins. but I tell her that is insulting to my boy. Another thing, that little stream feeds the New River which by all accounts is either the second or third oldest in the world. It runs from south to north from North Carolina and eventually into the Ohio River. It's funny how things in the Apps work. Kind of spooky at times. Makes you wonder what's in the water.

Reply Flag as Abusive +2 rate up rate down
3 replies to nhisland's comment
fernbergbear1953 January 25 2014 at 7:10 AM

About 10 years ago, a cub like that one in the story, showed up at my place. His [yes it was a male] mother was shot out of season, and he was left on his own to young... I helped out for that summer, and he used a den I built on my back 40 that winter. He still comes around, but of course I will not get close to him as I did when he was a cub. I call him Otis [Andy in Mayberry] because he likes a beer here and there. He`s graying around the muzzel now, and I know some day he will not return in the spring. I`ll miss that old boy. He has entertained my friends and family for years. I get a bang out of those that visit me in the far north woods, and Otis is setting on my steps just being himself. They freak out, untill they are told the story. In my meadow, I had cougar kits two years ago too....those I just watched from the windows though!!!! LOL...I love where I live!

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
1 reply to fernbergbear1953's comment
Dave January 25 2014 at 4:57 PM

I love where you live and have a growing interest in hiking the Appilachain Trail.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
kcarthey January 25 2014 at 7:04 AM

A beary cute story.

Reply Flag as Abusive +2 rate up rate down
rlmcanoe January 25 2014 at 7:04 AM

the bear probably swiped at him cause he ran, he should have just calming kept getting into the car like the wife did.

Reply Flag as Abusive +3 rate up rate down
whdlsn January 25 2014 at 6:40 AM

I guess these people have never lived in a country setting where wildlife are around? That little black bear was likely just hungry and/or thirsty given the situation in that area right now. Just leave the bear alone and he'll go away, no big deal. Now cougars and even a pack of coyotes are another issue.

Reply Flag as Abusive +3 rate up rate down
1 reply to whdlsn's comment
David S. January 25 2014 at 6:52 AM

Pasadena is the country?

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
2 replies to David S.'s comment
pepperlex3 January 25 2014 at 7:44 AM

I wondered about that, too. Maybe the fires are disrupting the bear's home area.

Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
hattie54 January 25 2014 at 9:39 AM

Do some search online.A lot of Pasdena is in the hills too.my late in-laws lived at the base of the hills in the 1970's and 80's.They were really near the Rose Bowl,up the hill from it.

Flag as Abusive rate up rate down