How chilly temperatures might promote weight loss

How Chilly Temperatures Might Promote Weight Loss

Is winter getting you down? The cold temperatures might just be keeping your weight down, too.

HLN reported that a study found mildly cold temperatures activate brown fat in the body. Brown fat then uses energy from food stored in white fat to warm up the body, in turn burning calories.

To encourage this potential weight loss at home, you can set your thermostat at 70 degrees and lower it about 2 degrees each day - just don't go so low that you start shivering!

Darebar January 25 2014 at 10:24 AM

My goodness, I always thought that cold weather added to the fat on the body because it was nature's way of helping to keep you warm. But what do I know? I'm not one of those scientists who apparently are getting grants from the federal government to determine why butterflies have wings and ants do not. I'll tell you one thing, I'm not going to freeze in order to shed a few pounds. Fat breeds fat. Fat in; not all fat out. Well, that's what I always thought; but again, what do I know?

riognach January 25 2014 at 12:59 PM

This does not take into consideration age. Anyone over 60 is more prone to hypothermia regardless of their weight. Small children in the home should not be exposed to chilly temps either. I worked in a NY City ER for years, and saw landlords keep apartments cool to cold and people become ill. We keep ourhome at 62 during the day in the winter, wear sweaters and even fingerless mittens while in the colder rooms. Why? I just filled the oil tank to the tune of six hundred dollars, twice in this cold spell and my house is properly insulated. I'm not losing weight, just feeling achy and chilled. I have to worry about my elderly neighbors and how they are affording fuel, even with assistence programs. Whoever wrote this did not take into account many factors or is writing for the 20-to-30 something first time homeowner. I call BS.

psalmsheb riognach January 25 2014 at 2:09 PM

I agree with you riognach----people have different body requirements--especially kids and the elderly. The elderly lose body fat as a natural part of aging, which is why so many older people complain of cold and chill. I think the study was geared towards the mainstream ---people 10 - 60 maybe.

Jerry psalmsheb January 25 2014 at 4:05 PM

I'm 62 and spent 20 yrs in AF. I was station for 10 yrs in ND and 6.5 yrs In Maine. I was Born and rasised in TN and I haven't been warm in Yrs. I work at a desk and I'm on the phone and a computer 12 hrs a day. Your right if your working and moving around it helps tremendiously, but your Wrong about lower temps. The AF did a study yrs ago and found that a normal size person begins feeling cold under 73 degrees. When I'm doing stuff at home and keep moving it helps, but as you said the older you get the harder it is on you. When I was young and it was 40 degrees below zero in ND it never seemed to bother me as much as 20 degrees in TN. Also the cold is much different. TN is a wet cold due to the humidity. Your younger and Smart you keep moving and enjoying life, but when you get to my age you'll find yourself complaining about the cold just as I do and the people my age who work around me.

Flag 0 rate up
larry January 25 2014 at 6:49 PM

Hype------pure and simple hype. So then the minute you turn the thermostat up you gain it back ??? From someone that has tried just about everyrthing since the late 60's to lose weight, the only thing that really works to lose weight and will keep weight off is: portion control of food, exercise, walk, eat healthy, lots of vegetables and fruits and very little red meats and lean chicken and turkey. Limit processed foods, alcohol, flour and sugar. get a good 8 hours of sleep. Drink plenty of water to flush your body of fats and toxins.

English January 25 2014 at 1:08 PM

I am going to delete this weight-loss trick, before my wife spots it and turns down the heater.

TaRAa L0VeSs YoU January 25 2014 at 5:30 PM

OM AT 44 DEEGREES AND STILL A FAT SLOB MUST BE ALL THAT WHISKEY I DRINK TO KEEP WARM

amazing grace January 25 2014 at 1:37 PM

That explains why I love cold weather & A/C!!

tudzco January 25 2014 at 1:57 PM

The lower temp also helps you breathe better especially when sleeping....stay well!

eoliver431 January 25 2014 at 2:06 PM

I dont know about the cold weather , I live in California and its been a long sunny winter .No rain , hardly any clouds . But it does get nippy in the evening so I havent found that Im losing any weight . Always turn off the heater at night and sleep so much better than with it going .

hartbrkr8285 January 25 2014 at 4:55 PM

If any of you have ever heard of Durk Pearson and Sandy Shaw, lowering the temp and getting naked as possible has been one of their suggestions for years, you can Google them and you will find that there has been much research on this that backs up the articles claim. As your bodies temp. gets lower your metabolism revs up to off set the chill and get your body temp up , this starts the process of burning brown fat, which the end results will be used for the body to produce the energy to get hotter. don't take my word for it, do some research before you make statements and accusations that you know nothing about. I only know this because I was in a business that sold their products and attended a number of meetings where they were the guest speakers.

crisvoness hartbrkr8285 January 25 2014 at 7:24 PM

they used to write for liberty magazine. i enjoyed their work. but i will not freeze my a$$ off!

jrplowerlevel hartbrkr8285 January 25 2014 at 8:07 PM

Well yes I have,great of you to mention Durk, haven't heard that name in thirty years or so. LI FE EXTENSION ! they did some wonderful work with older hospital bound patients concerning two amino acids, Arginine and Ornithine that built muscle and melted away certain types of body fat. Also tricks your body into thinking it's younger than its real age. I've been using these two for quite some time and yes it does really work. And I also keep my temp down at about 60 /62 also in the bed room too, great sleeping weather

hartbrkr8285 jrplowerlevel January 25 2014 at 9:52 PM

they are still writing articles for Life Extension and you can buy all of their formulations from them they have a very large selection of products today. I was involved with a company called Omnitrition back in the 80's and they sold Durk and Sandy's products through a mlm downline . I was able to go to a lot of meetings and hear Durk and Sandy's story and advice back then. Yes the product you are talking about is one they called Be Your Best, at that time, it was an awesome product. It has a formulation of Arginine and Ornithine in it along with some other ingredients that they found to help enhance their effect. I agree on the cold room as I have always kept mine colder than most would like. but I sleep better that way.

Flag 0 rate up
hartbrkr8285 jrplowerlevel January 25 2014 at 9:58 PM

there are actually two companies that sell Durk and Sandy's products one is Life Extension the other is Life Enhancement, I personally prefer Life Enhancements over Extensions.

Flag 0 rate up
misbhavenz January 25 2014 at 4:19 PM

I can think of better ways to lose weight. People who live in colder temperatures seem to put on the pounds, from what I have seen.