Four things your hairdresser won't tell you

Four Things Your Hairdresser Won't Tell You

Quentin Fotrell lists four things your salon might not tell you when you get in the chair.

1. Your haircut is 'recession-proof.'
While many other industries were flailing, salons added 75,000 jobs between 2000-2011. Plus, cosmetology jobs will increase by an estimated 13% by 2020.

2. 'We screwed up'
Hairdressers are very good at reading people, and they know all about poker face. When they make a bad cut, many hairdressers told Fortrell that they try to fix it without making a fuss. They have many ways of covering up mistakes without you knowing it ... like offering to give you a 'backwash.' In a few days, you'll probably be back to your old look anyway, so and may never notice a flub.

3. Hair products are the moneymaker
Over the next five years, hair products are expected to rise $12 billion in sales. That's a 12% rise over the next five years according to one research group. They have a profit margin of about 6%, so be sure to look at the products that are recommended and buy them at a more reasonable price on Amazon or Costco.

4. A license doesn't always cut it
Just because your hairstylist has a cosmetology license doesn't mean he or she has an eye for style. Look at how many hours of practice your hairdresser needs depending on the state you live in. Often, stylists need a lot more practice than the 1,000 hours necessary to get a license.

Here's to endless good hair days!

peggy January 26 2014 at 3:10 PM

explosion is the best place to have hair done no flubs

ktlyn1992 January 26 2014 at 11:09 AM

Oh I know all about the poker face... Had my hair highlighted and could tell something was up when she took the foils out. I could see it on her face. Having already been there for three hours (when I was told it would take an hour and a half) I put my gut feeling aside and assured myself that it was fine. A quick fluff in the mirror and it did look ok, so I hurried on my way. Only that night after work did I realize the extent of the mess. Big blotches of blonde underneath, "highlights" 4 inches wide! I was horrified but there was no way I was going back and letting them deceive me again.

For $100 you'd think that she would have been honest about the mistake instead of just taking my money and hoping that I didn't notice.

I always tell people that my best experience was at a Paul Mitchell school. The students are more interested in doing a good job rather than the money. Also, there is a great clips in my area that is managed by an ex hollywood stylist. I once went there and he gave me the most fabulous bob for $15! It easily would have cost me over $50 at a "real" salon. Just because a place charges a lot doesn't mean they're going to do a good job and vice versa. I've learned time and time again.

teridavisnewman ktlyn1992 January 26 2014 at 12:03 PM

It's never the price of the service, it is ALWAYS the skill of the cutter.

Dorothy M. Hall January 26 2014 at 4:22 PM

Hi, I really can't say much as to hairdressers as I have pincurled my hair since high schoold days and have permed my hair myself since about 18 yrs, old and also trim my hair every few months as I have long hair and I am going on 87 yrs. old. I also have used dove soap since 1949 to wash my hair and I rinse it in vinegar water and still have quite a bit of brown hair and still a fairly good head of hair. Sure have saved a lot of money. Right?

HAIRANGEL01 January 26 2014 at 11:56 AM

As a seasoned successful stylist, I agree with the video. You work for the client. It is good for you to guild the client to updated styles but know what lengths they want and the growth direction their hair will or won't do, as well as the texture of the hair and teach the client. Experience and good products are what your client should be paying the higher prices for. Know what the hair is going to do prior the outcome. Don't guess. Clients aren't stupid. Young stylists should ask for help instead of attempting to be stars.

doloptrno January 26 2014 at 12:17 PM

Being a hairstylist is like any other job that requires creative skill. Some people are great and others are not. Ive been a stylist for almost 8 years and i love what i do and i love my clients. As far as a poker face we are not only in a creative prefession but also one that entails good customer service. This job requires skill and love and when you find a hairdresser that you have good communication with and knows what you like stay with him/her. its not an easy job being a stylist and i love the challenge!

Alex January 26 2014 at 12:31 PM

I have a fairly simple style, yet I could never do what my hairdresser does. She got to know me first - then gave me the cut that she inately knew would work well in my profession, and social life. That's a good hairdresser. I'm a chef, and they don't dare tell me how to do my work - nor would I ever tell them how to do their art. I give them the outline of what I'd like........then leave it up to them. Works everytime.

arenadood January 26 2014 at 12:35 PM

The same goes for Barbers for men. To get a good one is one of the best things a Man can do. I had the same barber for over 30 years until he retired. His Son took over and was trained by him so it worked out.

Shelley January 26 2014 at 1:10 PM

I have seen big differences in cuts between different hair cuts. I do not like that they are lax in sterilizing the supplies they use. I mentioned something to one hair dresser and she got testy about it and said it's not part of the law. That was a turn off for me. I left her.

frankieboy26 Shelley January 26 2014 at 8:33 PM

Sterilizing our utensils certainly is the law. The Board Of Health can close down a salon in a millisecond if they see enough violations.

anidee9 January 26 2014 at 1:49 PM

I have a fool proof way of getting a good cut when I'm looking for a new salon. I watch people and when I see a lady that has hair similar to mine (that's important) which is pretty thick and has a fair amount of body, I ask her where she gets her hair cut and who the operator is. Since it's a compliment, most people are very happy to tell you! The most extreme case was when I moved to another state, my realtor had a wonderful cut and when I bought a house I told her she had to include the salon and operator if she wanted the sale ... it was a little joke, but I still go to him!!!

Patti January 26 2014 at 1:49 PM

Hairdressers are like everyone else; some are good, some bad, some OK. I would like to give a hint: do not talk to your client about politics! I have changed hairdressers over this issue several times. It is a mistake to assume that because the client is the same race, age, whatever that they will agree with your politics! If you must keep talking (which some of us could do without) stick with the light topics such as weather. Please heed this advice!

renojeannine Patti January 26 2014 at 2:06 PM

I sooo agree with you. I am a cosmo and whst you said is soooo true.

1413914202135