Four things your hairdresser won't tell you

Four Things Your Hairdresser Won't Tell You

Quentin Fotrell lists four things your salon might not tell you when you get in the chair.

1. Your haircut is 'recession-proof.'
While many other industries were flailing, salons added 75,000 jobs between 2000-2011. Plus, cosmetology jobs will increase by an estimated 13% by 2020.

2. 'We screwed up'
Hairdressers are very good at reading people, and they know all about poker face. When they make a bad cut, many hairdressers told Fortrell that they try to fix it without making a fuss. They have many ways of covering up mistakes without you knowing it ... like offering to give you a 'backwash.' In a few days, you'll probably be back to your old look anyway, so and may never notice a flub.

3. Hair products are the moneymaker
Over the next five years, hair products are expected to rise $12 billion in sales. That's a 12% rise over the next five years according to one research group. They have a profit margin of about 6%, so be sure to look at the products that are recommended and buy them at a more reasonable price on Amazon or Costco.

4. A license doesn't always cut it
Just because your hairstylist has a cosmetology license doesn't mean he or she has an eye for style. Look at how many hours of practice your hairdresser needs depending on the state you live in. Often, stylists need a lot more practice than the 1,000 hours necessary to get a license.

Here's to endless good hair days!

french4345 January 26 2014 at 9:42 PM

After reading a large amount of these comments...I have come to the conclusion that....we as hairdressers have to be just as picky as some of these tales from unhappy clients.....I have been a hairdresser for 50 years and I am getting ready to cut back and have more free time....and you can can bet...the ones who are leaving are the grumpy...complaining......totally unhappy people with their jobs...their husbands....never feel well...late...then blame your clock for them being late...or 30 minutes early and expect to get done early....or come in hacking and sick as a dog...but still want you to do their hair so it will make them feel better...even though you will probably catch what they have....or bring children in to your shop and expect you to entertain them while you are trying to work....I've even had people want to bring their pets in to the shop.....really people...get a life...I could go on forever.....if you do find a good hairdresser...don't take advantage of her or him...be kind...thoughtful....respectful of there lives and time....and tip them......so here are a few complaints we as hairdressers have for you guys who by our standards are not the pick of the litter either

bornelk french4345 January 26 2014 at 10:13 PM

Just to let you know, we can't stand it when another customer brings in her children also. We want to get our hair done without hearing a child cry or run all over the shop.

prawn259 January 26 2014 at 11:57 AM

to prove #4 if you don't believe it, send a white girl to a Filipina salon and she'll look like a white Filipina when she comes out. A black woman tried to sue a hair salon last year for refusing to do her hair... what it was, was they were being honest and telling her that she needed to go to a place familiar with her hair texture because they weren't. So for being honest, she tried to sue them.

doloptrno January 26 2014 at 12:17 PM

Being a hairstylist is like any other job that requires creative skill. Some people are great and others are not. Ive been a stylist for almost 8 years and i love what i do and i love my clients. As far as a poker face we are not only in a creative prefession but also one that entails good customer service. This job requires skill and love and when you find a hairdresser that you have good communication with and knows what you like stay with him/her. its not an easy job being a stylist and i love the challenge!

Alex January 26 2014 at 12:31 PM

I have a fairly simple style, yet I could never do what my hairdresser does. She got to know me first - then gave me the cut that she inately knew would work well in my profession, and social life. That's a good hairdresser. I'm a chef, and they don't dare tell me how to do my work - nor would I ever tell them how to do their art. I give them the outline of what I'd like........then leave it up to them. Works everytime.

arenadood January 26 2014 at 12:35 PM

The same goes for Barbers for men. To get a good one is one of the best things a Man can do. I had the same barber for over 30 years until he retired. His Son took over and was trained by him so it worked out.

Shelley January 26 2014 at 1:10 PM

I have seen big differences in cuts between different hair cuts. I do not like that they are lax in sterilizing the supplies they use. I mentioned something to one hair dresser and she got testy about it and said it's not part of the law. That was a turn off for me. I left her.

frankieboy26 Shelley January 26 2014 at 8:33 PM

Sterilizing our utensils certainly is the law. The Board Of Health can close down a salon in a millisecond if they see enough violations.

anidee9 January 26 2014 at 1:49 PM

I have a fool proof way of getting a good cut when I'm looking for a new salon. I watch people and when I see a lady that has hair similar to mine (that's important) which is pretty thick and has a fair amount of body, I ask her where she gets her hair cut and who the operator is. Since it's a compliment, most people are very happy to tell you! The most extreme case was when I moved to another state, my realtor had a wonderful cut and when I bought a house I told her she had to include the salon and operator if she wanted the sale ... it was a little joke, but I still go to him!!!

Patti January 26 2014 at 1:49 PM

Hairdressers are like everyone else; some are good, some bad, some OK. I would like to give a hint: do not talk to your client about politics! I have changed hairdressers over this issue several times. It is a mistake to assume that because the client is the same race, age, whatever that they will agree with your politics! If you must keep talking (which some of us could do without) stick with the light topics such as weather. Please heed this advice!

renojeannine Patti January 26 2014 at 2:06 PM

I sooo agree with you. I am a cosmo and whst you said is soooo true.

peggy January 26 2014 at 3:10 PM

explosion is the best place to have hair done no flubs

bch444 January 26 2014 at 3:22 PM

that comment that hairstylists never tell you something went wrong is WRONG.
I have done hair for 40 years & am a master colorist.
I have NEVER offered someone a "backwash"
What I say IS I think the color is too deep or too light --please go to the shampoo bowl so I can adjust it.
As for "mistakes" in cuts---I do NOT make them. I take my time & am into precision. I also do NOT get exorbitant prices!A total professional does NOT look to hide errors.