AOL.com
AOL.com
AOL.com

Study: Women gain weight while in relationships

Study: Women Gain Weight While In Relationships

According to 'Fox & Friends,' 'a new study shows that 43 percent of women gain seven pounds in the first year of a new relationship. Women tend to eat more when they're happy, which leads to the weight gain.'

But for men, relationships lead to opposite results, with 39% reporting a 4-lb. loss in that first year.

According to KOVR, 'men ... tend to lose weight when they have a new girlfriend, with 39% shedding four pounds. The majority of women say they were the thinnest when they were single, but also, less happy.'

Of all men polled, 45% told researchers their weight loss stemmed from their partner's approach to healthier eating and 30 percent said their other half actually put them on a diet.

An online pharmacy in Great Britain conducted the study, and Daily Mail reports that a spokesperson for the company had a message for women in relationships:

'As long as you're a healthy weight though, this shouldn't be anything to worry about -- happiness can give you a health boost, and is probably more important than squeezing in your jeans.'

Amen to that.

More From You

35 Comments
*0 / 3000 Character Maximum
Filter by:
Liz January 24 2014 at 8:34 PM

Opposite in my relationship. I haven't gained any weight, but my boyfriend's gained 40

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
bckal January 24 2014 at 1:35 PM

my new g/f is happy, so, will she gain weight? not likely, she just ordered a 30 day Isagenix system from me to lose weight and gain energy. I'm happy now but will be really happy a month from now.

Reply Flag as Abusive -3 rate up rate down
dutchhollo January 24 2014 at 1:03 PM

So What? If you love her you must remember it is for better or for worse. Life is not perfect. Most men end up as slobs anyhow.

Reply Flag as Abusive -2 rate up rate down
Ashley January 24 2014 at 12:03 PM

I agree that some women gain weight while in relationships, my husband and I both gained 4 or 5lbs after getting married, years later he has only gained 4lbs as for me I had my dear son and never lost all the weight but im not sure its about being lazy I think when men or women are
Single they do more to stay in shape to keep the opposite sex interested but when you get in a relationship you feel more comfortable and don't feel obligated to do as much as before
because you have already snagged your man/woman. But that's true with more than just weight I don't think anyone does as much to impress their someone special after they r in a official relationship, whether its their body, their attitude, date night how they dress man or woman its just how it is it doesn't mean you care less.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
richyalf January 24 2014 at 11:25 AM

Exactly why men should insist upon performance clauses in their prenuptial agreements. It was good enough for Jackie O.

Reply Flag as Abusive -1 rate up rate down
Beautiful January 24 2014 at 11:11 AM

I was slim and beautiful, it was work, but Once I snagged my hubby and had my wedding there was no point in staying slim. I like to eat and I don't care what my husband thinks, if he has an affair I'll take him to the cleaners, if he wants a divorce, my lawyers will ruin him.
This the way it is and men already know that most of us women use their body to trap a mate for security. Men know this and still willingly get married to us because they think with brain dangling betwixt their legs. I didn't make the rules and I am proud of my female powers.

Reply Flag as Abusive -12 rate up rate down
5 replies to Beautiful's comment
nevadan99 January 24 2014 at 10:58 AM

I don't know who comes up with BS, but they seem to have a lot of time and money to study BS.

Reply Flag as Abusive +5 rate up rate down
endmillll January 24 2014 at 10:55 AM

This friend of mine married a 300 lb woman then she gained another 200 lbs after he said i do,, its sad now becaus he needs a tow motor too take her too the crapper..

Reply Flag as Abusive -1 rate up rate down
endmillll January 24 2014 at 10:53 AM

yes your right when your going with them they stay slim and trim then after you say i do then they let it go too hell..

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
1 reply to endmillll's comment
Carole Ann January 24 2014 at 12:57 PM

I had a husband who treated me like a queen when we dated and almost immediately after the wedding he didn't even treat me as an equal. He made all the decisions, never helped around the house, would verbally abuse me. So it works both ways. People change after marriage. Some get fat, some get mean and some love each other no matter how they look. It took me almost 10 years to leave him. I remarried years later to a wonderful man. The first husband's second marriage didn't last 3 years. He'll never learn.

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
anna sanitate January 24 2014 at 10:49 AM

Totally untrue! I've never gained weight in a relationship including my first, 2, 3…year of marriage. Btw, I will be married 16 years in May and the only time I did gain weight was during my pregnancy.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down