Mesmerizing murmuration over Ireland

Mesmerising Murmuration Captured on Video in Ireland

Donna Kemp was traveling home from Galway City when she spotted this stunning murmuration of a flock of starlings.

Donna said it was 'truly amazing to see.' She was so taken aback that she pulled over to capture the phenomenon on video. Donna made the spectacular sighting in the skies over the small parish of Lackagh in Co. Galway, close to Ireland's west coast.

Have you ever seen anything like this? Talk to us in the comments!

Penny January 23 2014 at 8:30 PM

I work evenings in a Salon that faces the west, every night we watch a large flock of starlings do this same thing, it starts out large and everytime they go round some leave and roost till finally they are all in the trees by dark. It is beautiful to watch.

carol lowery January 23 2014 at 6:06 PM

I've seem them is the sky and it is amazing to watch. What was spooky to me was when my brother came home with hospice and every early evaning, all the electric wires just loaded up with all these birds with no spaces between them, the night after my brother died, they were all gone.

Bobbie Bohanan January 23 2014 at 5:16 PM

In Beebee ,Ark. last spring [2013] my sisters and I came out of a restarant and the birds were startling at first. There were thousands of them and they looked like they were doing acrobates in the sky. We literally stood there and watched them approx. 15-20 min. before they all flew away. I mean there were droves of them. It was amazing watching them.

jktkw January 23 2014 at 5:07 PM

I've seen something similar from bats in Texas

jktkw January 23 2014 at 5:06 PM

fascinating! It reminds me of schools of food fish in the ocean trying to avoid predators

Margaret January 23 2014 at 4:29 PM

Gorgeous site! Hope they fly over JBs house and drop a load!

susanlattadesign January 23 2014 at 4:22 PM

I've seen this is in Fayetteville, Arkansas; Dallas, Texas; and Lincoln, Nebraska. Every time I see the birds in this beautiful dance, I stop to watch this special gift from the birds. When they land, usually in a tree, they chatter and carry on the best conversation of happiness you'll ever hear. Truly inspiring. Wish I knew more about the birds and what they're actually doing.

Andrea January 23 2014 at 4:09 PM

A number of years ago, while living in Indiana, I was looking out the window at the winterscape of bare trees and snow covered ground when out of nowhere a bajillion starlings flew together as in this video and landed in an oak tree right outside the window, virtually blanketing each and every branch and limb. It was truly amazing to see.

azvtjim January 23 2014 at 4:07 PM

I have seen this phenomenon many times when I used to live in Cleveland and drove home along the shore of Lake Erie in the evening. There was never any doubt in my mind that they were dancing (OK, flying) to the sound and rhythms of great classical music. Sometimes it was Beethoven, sometimes Brahms, sometimes Strauss! Sometimes thunderous, sometimes lyrical, but always musical.
But I must admit, more than once I thought it might be the other way around, and these musical greats came to their music when witnessing this incredible phenomenon!!

Jim Raymond

bluedelphi azvtjim January 23 2014 at 5:19 PM

I love your artistic imagination!

grygranite January 23 2014 at 10:55 PM

I see this in the fall in Ohio for about two weeks every night and then they stop. Does anyone know what they are doing or what the purpose of this is?