14
Search AOL Mail
AOL Mail
Video
Video
AOL Favorites
Favorites
Menu

Family sets house on fire while cleaning TP mess

Family Sets House On Fire While Cleaning Toilet Paper Mess

An Alabama family was cleaning up the mess after their house was toilet papered. Unfortunately, the cleanup turned disastrous. HLN reports that 'the homeowner says somebody TP'd their house on Saturday. They couldn't reach all the toilet paper to get it down, so she decided they would burn it off. It sparked a huge fire. It burned for four hours.'

It all started when Cheryl Crausewell and her son tried to burn a piece of toilet paper in a tree.

When the wind blew the burning piece, it set the family's grass on fire.

The blaze soon grew out of control when the grass fire moved to the family's house. Crausewell says she and her son tried containing the fire, but it was just too much.

Crausewell told WVTM she's just glad everyone made it out OK.

'We just keep knowing that we're all safe. You know, my mother lived with us. She's 84. She got out safely. My aunt lives next door in this apartment, and she's 87, and she got out safely. So, we're all safe and that really is the main thing,' Crausewell said.

HLN reports the family has homeowner's insurance and plans to rebuild.

Join the discussion

1000|Char. 1000  Char.
Diane January 23 2014 at 10:19 AM

it sounds kinda far fetched to me...i would of been freaking out ..crying..You do not call the fire department ASAP....Thank God everyone was safe...But who the hell lights toilet paper on fire ?'

Flag Reply +4 rate up
Hello Joe January 23 2014 at 10:58 AM

"Stupid is as stupid does." What get's me the most about this is that two people talked about it and they both agreed to it.

Flag Reply +7 rate up
Joseph January 23 2014 at 10:00 AM

And this my friends is why I have a full time job in the fire/rescue service. You'd be shocked to know how many people have this lack of common sense. Still, it's always sad when folks lose their home. I'm glad they all got out OK. That's the most important thing.

Flag Reply +3 rate up
2 replies
Heidi Ann Joseph January 23 2014 at 10:14 AM

I heard this news report yesterday and I was like how STUPID! Burning the toilet paper to get it all down? This is this lovely thing called WIND, it blows things down and eventually it would have blown the paper down. I'd be surprised if the insurance company paid on this because she started the fire and is a blooming idiot. Thanks for being a firefighter, Joseph.

Flag Reply +3 rate up
1 reply
Joseph Heidi Ann January 23 2014 at 10:32 AM

No kidding, huh? There's this thing they used to call common sense, but it's not so common anymore. Thank you for your appreciation it really means a lot.

Flag +2 rate up
suemal1 Joseph January 23 2014 at 10:28 AM

What the heck was this woman thinking of. Doesn't she know that paper burns. Not only that eventurely it would have blew off the house. I know this woman wasn't born yesterday. Something sound fishy here.

Flag Reply +1 rate up
sylvabugg2 January 23 2014 at 9:56 AM

She had a blond moment. Unfortunately it cost her their home. If left alone, the tp would have broken down on its own.

Flag Reply +1 rate up
1 reply
slackwarerobert sylvabugg2 January 23 2014 at 10:45 AM

And the birds would have TP so wouldn't need to use your just washed car either.

Flag Reply 0 rate up
poropat1 January 23 2014 at 9:07 AM

I've done some stupid things in my time but REALLY?

Flag Reply +4 rate up
mom3girlslori January 23 2014 at 10:49 AM

It is always sad to see a family loose their home and their belongings. I am very happy that no one was hurt but, next time let the tp stay in the tree it will disappear eventually and when it does you will still have your home. Not a very good example to set for your children. So, good luck and, stay away from the tp in the tree. God Bless

Flag Reply +3 rate up
Curtis January 23 2014 at 9:52 AM

You mean to say that not everyone in Alabama is a Genius?
Guess Not!

Flag Reply +1 rate up
kld31 January 23 2014 at 9:14 AM

I don't think that was the wisest thing to do. I know sometimes you think that you can have a fire under control, but I don't understand why they chose the method of burning.

Flag Reply +1 rate up
chckpope January 23 2014 at 9:21 AM

"So, we're all safe and that really is the main thing,' Crausewell said." NO, not doing to stupid things that could kill your family or neighbors is the main thing. "Hey Billy Bob, go on yonder and get some more gas, this darn toilet paper ain't burnin good" Maybe next you should try using a lawnmower and a stick of dynamite to clean your carpet.

Flag Reply +1 rate up
fifthavenuekid January 23 2014 at 9:24 AM

Gee wiz, No comments about the vandals who caused this nightmare in the first place. Lets just hope that when they grow up they get all the TP they want in prison.

Flag Reply +2 rate up
1 reply
pbutler111 fifthavenuekid January 23 2014 at 9:47 AM

The "vandals" didn't cause this. Kids have been TP-ing each other's houses since the invention of TP. What caused this situation is the homeowner's complete lack of common sense in dealing with the matter. Setting fire to something you can't reach (and, by the by, if you can put a flame to it, you can reach it) instead of just leaving it and letting nature take its course (among the millions of other non-idiotic ways to handle it), their house would still be intact.

Flag Reply +1 rate up
1 reply
slackwarerobert pbutler111 January 23 2014 at 10:39 AM

Guess she didn't pay her water bill either. Grass goes out when you WET IT with the hose, not with the HOUSE. LOL

Flag 0 rate up
aol~~ 1209600

Voting...

Back to School Deal

1409152390717

A new item every day in August
Back to School deal

More From Our Partners