Family sets house on fire while cleaning TP mess

Family Sets House On Fire While Cleaning Toilet Paper Mess

An Alabama family was cleaning up the mess after their house was toilet papered. Unfortunately, the cleanup turned disastrous. HLN reports that 'the homeowner says somebody TP'd their house on Saturday. They couldn't reach all the toilet paper to get it down, so she decided they would burn it off. It sparked a huge fire. It burned for four hours.'

It all started when Cheryl Crausewell and her son tried to burn a piece of toilet paper in a tree.

When the wind blew the burning piece, it set the family's grass on fire.

The blaze soon grew out of control when the grass fire moved to the family's house. Crausewell says she and her son tried containing the fire, but it was just too much.

Crausewell told WVTM she's just glad everyone made it out OK.

'We just keep knowing that we're all safe. You know, my mother lived with us. She's 84. She got out safely. My aunt lives next door in this apartment, and she's 87, and she got out safely. So, we're all safe and that really is the main thing,' Crausewell said.

HLN reports the family has homeowner's insurance and plans to rebuild.

dashdzl January 23 2014 at 10:25 AM

That was really stupid

psmillertime69 January 23 2014 at 11:17 AM

Mr. Whipple never said, "Don't torch the Charmin"...

msmith6791 psmillertime69 January 23 2014 at 11:49 AM

You're good, REALLY good!

babs January 23 2014 at 10:07 AM

Really????? This fire supposedly burned for 4 hours??? What's wrong with this picture???Nobody called the fire department??? Give me a breakl!!!!! Well I guess that's one way to rebuild your house!!!!!

Joseph January 23 2014 at 10:00 AM

And this my friends is why I have a full time job in the fire/rescue service. You'd be shocked to know how many people have this lack of common sense. Still, it's always sad when folks lose their home. I'm glad they all got out OK. That's the most important thing.

Heidi Ann Joseph January 23 2014 at 10:14 AM

I heard this news report yesterday and I was like how STUPID! Burning the toilet paper to get it all down? This is this lovely thing called WIND, it blows things down and eventually it would have blown the paper down. I'd be surprised if the insurance company paid on this because she started the fire and is a blooming idiot. Thanks for being a firefighter, Joseph.

Joseph Heidi Ann January 23 2014 at 10:32 AM

No kidding, huh? There's this thing they used to call common sense, but it's not so common anymore. Thank you for your appreciation it really means a lot.

Flag +2 rate up
suemal1 Joseph January 23 2014 at 10:28 AM

What the heck was this woman thinking of. Doesn't she know that paper burns. Not only that eventurely it would have blew off the house. I know this woman wasn't born yesterday. Something sound fishy here.

Hello Joe January 23 2014 at 10:58 AM

"Stupid is as stupid does." What get's me the most about this is that two people talked about it and they both agreed to it.

poropat1 January 23 2014 at 9:07 AM

I've done some stupid things in my time but REALLY?

sylvabugg2 January 23 2014 at 9:56 AM

She had a blond moment. Unfortunately it cost her their home. If left alone, the tp would have broken down on its own.

slackwarerobert sylvabugg2 January 23 2014 at 10:45 AM

And the birds would have TP so wouldn't need to use your just washed car either.

Diane January 23 2014 at 10:19 AM

it sounds kinda far fetched to me...i would of been freaking out ..crying..You do not call the fire department ASAP....Thank God everyone was safe...But who the hell lights toilet paper on fire ?'

kld31 January 23 2014 at 9:14 AM

I don't think that was the wisest thing to do. I know sometimes you think that you can have a fire under control, but I don't understand why they chose the method of burning.

chckpope January 23 2014 at 9:21 AM

"So, we're all safe and that really is the main thing,' Crausewell said." NO, not doing to stupid things that could kill your family or neighbors is the main thing. "Hey Billy Bob, go on yonder and get some more gas, this darn toilet paper ain't burnin good" Maybe next you should try using a lawnmower and a stick of dynamite to clean your carpet.

World Series