Michigan Student Selling Graduation Cap Space To Pay Student Loans

Michigan Student Selling Graduation Cap Space To Pay Student Loans

Alex Benza is trying to sell advertising space on his graduation cap to help pay off $30,000 in student loans. With the help of GoGetFunding Benza has already raised more than $1,000.

Courtesy of Newsy

Jim Castro January 20 2014 at 4:22 PM

1 down and 29 to go

jimc11

forensics41p January 20 2014 at 5:59 PM

What next? I didn't have such expenses when I graduated because I went to school (college) and also worked full time. It was a living hell but I have no regrets. Mini-semesters such as January were spent on math subjects and the Summer semesters were for social sciences.....

I have no idea how grads are going to manage what they have accrued. The jobs are few and far between.

seattlewkr forensics41p January 20 2014 at 6:04 PM

You didn't have such expenses because college didn't cost you nearly what it does not. Pretty simple.

Sage January 20 2014 at 6:42 PM

We want our children to have decent educations. We want them to use those educations. This is what every parent in this country wants for their kids. The thing is, we don't want them to have thousands of dollars worth of debt before they even graduate. Yet, most of our children do have this debt. It is a huge burden to have to take on from the day they start school until they get it paid off. They should not have to finish school with so much debt. With the lack of jobs and so many jobs going overseas, these children have strikes against them that we could not imagine. This young man found a way to change that. Good to see his education is paying off. What he may have done for future students is change things. It needs changing.

joejoegolfn January 20 2014 at 7:21 PM

As long as the government guarantees student loans to colleges the prices will continue to climb out of control. Some colleges recruit homeless people to get tuitions and could care less if they attend school. Just like making banks give loans to people who could not afford housing and that whole thing blew up. Government screws everything it gets involved in. I worked my way through college, then saved enough to put 30 percent down on my house. Now it's paid off. The government needs to get out of the way and let the american spirit thrive

bennaoum January 21 2014 at 5:00 AM

I would like to congratulate this student.
I's better than asking people for help

Hi RON January 20 2014 at 8:32 PM

Well, I used my veterans help (which I had contributed to) financially when I went through college... and was glad to have the assistance - but I also worked at the same time... My wife and daughter worked while they went to college as well... and all of us graduated without having any student loans to pay off. It can be done.. you just have to forgo some of the partying and a lot of the "demands" and not "needs" that a lot of our younger generation wrestles with. We all three actually, by going summers, completed four years in a three year time frame.... but you must have your "nose to the grindstone" although, in the long run, after a few short years.. IT PAYS OFF. Too many at present are simply looking for handouts and want to take the easy way out!!

seattlewkr Hi RON January 20 2014 at 9:04 PM

Hi RON,

Dream on. UW is about 18,000 a year. Try making that in the summer, between years, as a student.

And nobody I know is looking for handouts either.

Tom seattlewkr January 20 2014 at 9:25 PM

There are lots of schools that cost less than 18,000/yr, and if you are sold on UW, you should look for scholarships and grants to help. They may even build scholarships into your financial aid package.

Flag +1 rate up
seattlewkr seattlewkr January 20 2014 at 10:19 PM

Tom,
I paid approximately 2,000 a quarter for my kid to just go to Bellevue College, basically a community college.

So get real. And a degree from some funky school gets you flunky returns, btw. You can go to Internet schools all you want. No thanks.

Flag +1 rate up
klasakt Hi RON January 20 2014 at 9:34 PM

You hit the proverbial nail on the head. I had a partial scholarship. I worked 30+ hours while carrying a full load during the terms, and full time in the summer. I graduated with no debt to anyone buy my parents ... $1200. Minimum wage was less than $2 per hour. IThe price of schooling may have gone up, but so has the minimum wage. And a good number of entry level positions pay more than that. I laughed at the detractor. My ex had a student loan thru the bank. We had six months before we had to start paying on it. We had it paid off by then. Of course, with me, I studied, went to class, worked and slept. Period. I watched a movie a couple of times on Saturday night at the auditorium for a $1. I guess it just depends on how badly one wants a degree from an expensive school as to whether it is worth their time and energy to do what needs to be done.

seattlewkr klasakt January 20 2014 at 10:22 PM

When minimum wage was $2 bucks an hour, there were jobs galore and sky's the limit, AND tuition, especially at community colleges was very, very cheap. So were rents, and, hell, so were houses, for that matter!

Try walking out the door in Seattle, thinking you're going to buy some house somewhere. Get ready for sticker shock beyond belief.

There is absolutely no comparison between the cost of living here today, and cost of living in 1980, when I assume min wage was $2.00 a page. You people who did it long ago have all the answers.

Flag +2 rate up
bigerstick klasakt January 21 2014 at 12:30 AM

Lets see, you must have went to school in the early 80's then (that would be OVER 30 YEARS AGO) by saying minimum wage was less than $2.00 an hour (I turned 16 in 1980 and my first real job payed $1.85 an hour and went up to $2.10 an hour in 1981) and I know for a fact that school was not even close to the cost of today so you saying you had no debt to anyone except your parents for $1200.00 was probably all it cost you to go to school then anyway. When I came home from the military and went back to college in 1993, It cost less than $4000.00 for a full yr ( thats August thru July of next yr) at the local community college. I did my AA in aviation maintenance. Classes were first sem. Mon. through Fri., 7 am till noon, Mon and Wed. night from 6 pm till 8:40 pm and then the rest of the entire yr just Mon. - Fri. 7 am till noon. Thats 31 hours of actual class time and 25 hours class time respectively EACH WEEK while living on my own and working three jobs to do it. Point is, it was hard work and yes most people dont want to do that but theres no way I could afford to do the same thing today on what it costs to go to school and support myself all at the same time. Just cant be done. Yes, minimum wage has gone up but no one can live on 8 or 9 bucks an hour. Way back then, minimum was designed for kids in school and so on as a way to make PART TIME money, not to make a living on as all the crooks that run businesses today expect. I actually make less money now than I did 15 yrs ago and I have a UAW backed job (yeah,unions suck too).

Flag 0 rate up
Hello. welcome January 20 2014 at 10:37 PM

I applaud his ingenuity. Whatever family & fans don't cover (and really, how many can buy space?), he'll have to pay. The sad part is, having spent all that money, can our graduates find jobs?

kenyng January 20 2014 at 5:32 PM

Hats off to a good idea!

uclaengr January 21 2014 at 1:38 AM

Very clever!

brianna_pruna January 21 2014 at 8:17 AM

I believe this young man has a very good idea :) It is smart to make a way to get into college even iff the case is that you cannot afford it. he is doing a great thing :)