Man accidentally charged $1,666 at Waffle House

Man Accidentally Charged $1,666 At Waffle House

Jimmy Andrews came to Waffle House with a huge appetite ... and left with a massive tab.

He was given a check for $16.51 at a Waffle House in Piedmont, South Carolina, but when he went to the register, it was rung up for $1,666.61 instead. Apparently, the '6' on the register was stuck. 'I almost had a heart attack,' he said.

Andrews didn't realize the mistake at the time, and his account was charged. WHNS reports that after days of stress for Andrews, the issue was finally resolved.

gutenbird January 16 2014 at 2:27 PM

Well I agree most of these stories are stupid and this one is dull but there is something to it. You better double check that receipt. This one is not the norm but other less noticed overcharges seem to happen all the time and people don't even notice. Like when you have 30 items at grocery store.

Brea January 16 2014 at 3:00 PM

Waffle House's corporate guys don't seem to have any wisdom. Any company worth it's salt would have comped this guy's meal just because of all of the aggravation they caused him. But they chose to go the hard way around the mountain and get bad publicity instead. They kept the price of a meal and lost not just one, but many, many other potential customers who are now reading this article and thinking "Dimmit, I'll never go there now!".

ironman Brea January 16 2014 at 3:07 PM

This kind of management is why I don't ever eat there as it is. I used them a lot on the road in the late 70s because they were usually the only place open at 2 am when I was hitting the road after packing up the band. The service was without exception pretty minimal every place I ate. MAYBE ONE exception in Cheyenne, Wyo.

ironman January 16 2014 at 3:03 PM

Waffle House issued a statement apologizing to Andrews and refunded him his money -- minus the original cost of his original bill. < This is why I don't eat there. BAD MANAGEMENT !
Any thinking mgr would have refunded it ALL !

lynn January 16 2014 at 3:03 PM

waffle house is one of the worst companies out there.....they treat the employees like slaves and don't really care if customers come back or not....and i've been friends with quite a few employees and they all say the same thing....i've stopped going there and i was a once or twice a week patron....if they rang my card up like that i would of made sure i got back all my money including the cost of the meal because of the headache they caused....but waffle house just doesn't care...way to go

lhebelka lynn January 16 2014 at 5:45 PM

WOW! someplace is worse then Walmart!! gee is this Obama's fault or George bush

Clipperwiz January 17 2014 at 12:37 AM

Had a similar thing happen at McDonalds. I caught it right away and they said they would refund the money to my credit card. Two weeks later, no refund. I went in with the refund receipt and they handed me my hundred dollars. Watch those so called refunds. Some of them never happen.

jsmith120313 January 16 2014 at 3:15 PM

The customer has to sign the receipt so did he NOT read it?

Postalpal January 16 2014 at 3:17 PM

Waffle House. Even if they corrected the bill what the heck kind of a breakfast did this guy eat that cost a whopping $16.51 anyway???

bbhuey4213 Postalpal January 16 2014 at 3:35 PM

Well, if went all out and got the steak and egg breakfast, that runs just over 10 bucks; add in seperate charges for sides, plus 2 bucks or so for coffee, add tax and tip onto that and voila...

cccp1 January 16 2014 at 3:25 PM

Maybe this and other things like this, could be resolved very quickly, easily and without problems, if we would pay attention and or read what is in front of us.

frisco9312 cccp1 January 16 2014 at 3:41 PM

bingo

billbinder January 16 2014 at 3:27 PM

I suppose that we have all paid a bill and later discovered that we were charged too much. I just do not see how this is news. Even the way that it was handled was not anything to write about. Mistake made, customer did not review his check, money was returned. I would have thought comping the entire bill would have made a more interesting story but that would have been an afterthought. Did he tip 15% of the $1666? That would have been a $250 tip!! Does the waitress have to give that back?

Marty and Diane January 16 2014 at 11:34 PM

Why on earth is this a story?