What does your sleeping position say about you?

What Does Your Sleeping Position Say About You?

Did you know that your sleeping position can reveal a lot about your personality?

Dr. Kevin Campbell says that according to a study of 1,000 people out of Great Britain, if you sleep in the fetal position you are potentially 'shy and sensitive.'

If you're a 'log' sleeper (lying on your side as straight as a, well, log), you are likely social and fun. The 'good time' people, if you will.

'Yearners' who sleep with their legs slightly bent and their arms tucked under their pillow are often 'suspicious, always have a plan, always up to something.'

On the other hand, 'soldier' sleepers who lay flat on their backs are likely quiet, reserved, not very gregarious.

Someone who is brash and very outgoing may favor the 'freefall' position, which looks just like it sounds: face-down on the bed with arms and legs splayed. Apparently, this type of person is 'always loud at the party and wants to be the center of attention. Some people might avoid this person.'

The 'starfish' is like a reverse 'freefall' with arms straight out and one knee up. This means you're a 'giver, a listener, the person that everyone wants to be your friend and puts others' needs before their own.'

So what do you think? Does your position match your personality at all?

kimcrdr January 16 2014 at 3:34 PM

well now I take from this I am a sensitive, goodtime suspicous person, what the heck!

milliesnickelfritz January 16 2014 at 1:34 PM

Dear Dr. Campbell,
My dog curls up in a little and I mean little ball. She also snores. What can you conclude about her personality based on your exhaustive research. She is not really sensitive and shy. More like a good time log sleeper with a little yearner thrown in because as you say, she is often "suspicious, always having a plan, always up to something" especially around the cat. Please enlighten and share your academic opinion of this perplexing phenomenon.
Perplexed.

sulandherb January 16 2014 at 1:32 PM

Oh good grief. What a crock. So what happens if I start in one position and wake in another? Or like my husband, flop around like a fish all night?

cousink01 January 16 2014 at 1:23 PM

I say this is all bullshit

Tad S.Lovan January 16 2014 at 1:10 PM

Have Your Say...I definitely am a starfish! Amazing truth on the personality study. My husband sleeps like a soldier and believe me, he is my perfect opposite!

carolweil January 16 2014 at 12:52 PM

Sleeping in the fetal position is very good for combating lower back pain.

saultydog42 carolweil January 16 2014 at 1:14 PM

That will kill your back, the back is in a forward bend all day, even when sitting, the best results to relieve a back ache is to put your hands extended onto a wall and move your body away from that wall and let your back sag downward as far as you can stand it and for as long as you can, you might even try doing push ups in that position. Pushups in the normal way will also strengthen the back and relieve the pain, this is one of the best lower back builders ever. You can just sit idley in the push up position without doing them to relieve the pain. The problems that people have with their back is that they do exercises but not the right ones, bending over touching your toes as an exercise is all wrong if you dont follow up with pushups, this flexes the back forward and backwards giving you more flexability overall, side bends will also benefit your lower back to give you an added protection to the lower back muscles.

thehammer321 January 16 2014 at 12:49 PM

some one made a lot of money probably on a gov. grant for this garbage. I have slept in all those positions from time to time. depends on your emotional state of mind or your physical exertion or whether you are drunk. In other words, bla bla bla.

shevon January 16 2014 at 12:40 PM

I sleep on my stomach with my arms under my pillow what am I?

JONELL/RICKER shevon January 16 2014 at 12:55 PM

normal!!!

milliesnickelfritz shevon January 16 2014 at 1:37 PM

A human cannonball.

msmith6791 January 16 2014 at 12:32 PM

I got injured and have a herniated disk. I am working on getting it fixed, you know, doctors and chiros and all that. Anyway, I like to sleep on my tummer looking to the right, with my left leg bent upward. AND I CANT DO THAT RIGHT NOW due to the excrutiating pain in the sciatic never.

I am forced to l sleep on my back or reverse the face down procedure or do the LOG thing above on my right leg bottom.

So I guess they need another category - the INJURED sleeper!!! (heh heh)

saultydog42 msmith6791 January 16 2014 at 1:20 PM

msmith, look at my reply above under carolweil

FromTheChrysalis January 16 2014 at 12:31 PM

Or you use all positions because your muscles get too sore if you stay in one position for too long. Studies found that multi-position people are smarter, too smart really to buy into spurious studies made by people whose next study might by whether toast falls butter side down or up and what this means for your personality.

Back to School Deal

A new item every day in August
Back to School deal