Homeless man who walked 29 miles to court gets outpouring of support

Stranger Gives Money To Homeless Man Who Walked 29 Miles To Court

After an Atlanta homeless man named Ray Norman walked 29 miles in freezing temperatures to attend a court hearing (original story here), strangers are coming forward to help him.

A man named Joel Shapiro gave Norman $3,000, about $100 for every mile he walked. 'For anybody to have that much integrity, I just had to help him,' Shapiro said. He also plans to help Norman find a job.

Another woman dropped off money for the officers who paid the $80 cab fare to take Norman home after court on January 7th.

On that frigid day, Norman walked eight hours so that he wouldn't be late for his hearing about a parking ticket. When his public defender didn't show up, he turned around and started his walk home. Luckily, that's when the officers stepped in and got him a cab.

plewdawg January 15 2014 at 7:24 AM

A homeless man with a car that got a parking ticket and he WALKED 29 miles? Naw aint buying it.

robertwdowner January 14 2014 at 8:30 PM

First its Awesome this guy walked that far and that people are willing to help him out,more people really should try to help the homeless/poor. I know of many people who are in either category and that is why it ticks me off so much when I hear people on the right call them lazy/druggie/alcoholic. Alot of people who are in that category of being homeless/poor are NOT there of their own choice.

kkh2018 January 14 2014 at 8:24 PM

this is the kind of story that inspires me. I love hearing about things like this because it shows that there are still caring people in the world. God is still encouraging people on this earth no matter what situation they find themselves in.

ps7603 January 14 2014 at 8:12 PM

Wondeful people ... May God bless you all.

lindalin2812 January 14 2014 at 8:08 PM

wow, amazing.

imv January 14 2014 at 8:04 PM

God Bless

its me January 14 2014 at 7:14 PM

she says "unfortunately its against policy for those officers to take the money" I say fortunately its against policy because that means those police officers knew this and truly did it out of the goodness of their heart instead of hoping for or looking for some kind of recognition or the donations that typically follow stories like this. maybe I didnt word that the best you everyone reading this knows exactly what I mean

Dr. Cal Harris January 14 2014 at 7:09 PM

Sorry to see negative responses to this wonderful story. I felt that my view of American generosity was renewed.

I live in El Paso, which is an extremely humane and generous city and love to see the same spirit in other places.

ycgc January 14 2014 at 7:08 PM

Charles Dickens could have placed the characters into supporters to a Tale of Two Cities

vickey January 14 2014 at 7:07 PM