AOL.com
AOL.com
AOL.com

Heat wave hits Australian Open

Scorching temperatures at the Australian Open thinned crowds at Melbourne Park and prompted players to pile bags of ice on their heads and necks between points.

Here's a look at how players and fans tried to beat the heat on Tuesday.

More From You

109 Comments
*0 / 3000 Character Maximum
Filter by:
tennisprokent15 January 15 2014 at 4:41 AM

Oh wow! Extreme heat in Australia and intense cold in the midwest (U.S.). It looks like a good case for global warming. I don't wish that kind of heat on anyone and I feel it's better to play in conditions which are too cold rather than too hot. I fear for the safety of the players! I remember Gene Mayer at the U.S. Open in the 80's, overcome by extreme heat exhaustion. He was packed in ice courtside after he had passed out, and the medical staff could not pry the racquet from his hand. It was cramped to the racquet! So, I hope the officials are aware of heat exhaustion signs as the players compete. Heat exhaustion can have a long-term impact on a player's physical well-being.

Reply Flag as Abusive -1 rate up rate down
waz.collins January 15 2014 at 4:02 AM

Oh forgot to mention... The Canadian player that passed out and saw snoopy.. That was Gold... Snoopy of all things ha ha ha ..... my advice would be to man up..

Pass out if you have to but snoopy.....why didn't he say he saw Freddy grueger... now that's something to write a story about... and maybe a movie..

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
waz.collins January 15 2014 at 3:18 AM

I live in Melbourne.. Its not that bad.. you don't here the Aussies complaining.. Tomorrow is 44c of 111 f.. You just need to finish your matches quickly.. easy done.....

On a serious note we are expecting hail stones the size of tennis balls(seriously) tonight without a drop in temperature.. how does that work..They might be dodging large chunks of falling ice... then they can complain..

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
matthewjames40.matthew January 15 2014 at 2:12 AM

"global warming"

Reply Flag as Abusive -1 rate up rate down
estimatorone January 15 2014 at 12:03 AM

Well considering it is the middle of summer over (or I should say under)
there, why would a heat wave be newsworthy. Big deal - it is a hot day
playing golf.

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
kastmaster2105 January 14 2014 at 11:49 PM

Where does it read how hot it is over there? Any Black Flags flying?....No one should be playing outside that hard..Your life tho Oh by the way....Do the Aussies NAME their Heat waves?

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
ivw840 January 14 2014 at 11:22 PM

What was all that racket on the Shark Thank episodes?

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
D Barr January 14 2014 at 10:54 PM

I can't type on my phone but you get my point I think.
Lol

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
D Barr January 14 2014 at 10:53 PM

Well adter looking at the forcast there I don't know why fellow Texans say our weathrr is bad! 108 and 68 tge next day glad I dont live there id be sick alot.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
eeverettm January 14 2014 at 10:29 PM

Please, Gore just wants credit for something that's been happening for centuries, long before he existed.

Reply Flag as Abusive -3 rate up rate down