Facebook pulls post-birth body & baby pictures, moms fight back

Facebook Pulls Post-Birth Body & Baby Photos, Moms Fight Back

The 4th Trimester Bodies Project in Chicago is demanding answers from Facebook after its social media page was pulled from the site.

WGN reports that the project may be deemed 'too sexy' for Facebook: the project has been blocked at least a half dozen times, sometimes for hours, days or weeks. Facebook eventually pulled the page and deleted it, all because people flagged the photos as 'inappropriate.'

Ashlee Wells Jackson is the owner and photographer behind the photodocumentary, and she's stunned by the backlash over photos she's captured of moms and their bouncing babies.

Jackson says 'the problem for us is the double standard. We have not broken any of their rules. Every photo, every image, every link, every story that we've posted has fully abided by their terms and conditions in their community standards.'

At first, Jackson thought that photos showing bare baby bottoms could have been the problem. Then, she saw ads approved by Facebook for baby products that have the exact same images she shows on her site. She's tried repeatedly to reach out to Facebook, but she's only gotten 'radio silence.'

The 4th Trimester Bodies Project is an ongoing photodoc created by photographer and mother Ashlee Wells Jackson. This project is dedicated to embracing the beauty inherent in the changes brought to our bodies by motherhood, childbirth and breastfeeding.

'When I'm blocked on Facebook, I'm blocked on all my pages,' Jackson explains. 'It's put a work stoppage and had a really big ripple effect on business and my life.'

What do you think? Share your feelings in the comments.

suealiaim January 15 2014 at 12:49 PM

why not go elsewhere with you work? ultimately, fb is only going to steal it anyway...

teffersmom January 15 2014 at 11:58 AM

I dont care to see breast feeding moms... which is why I don't go on those pages. But I also dont like having to deal with friends who want to post those pics. I see nothing wrong with doing this but I dont want to share the experience. Sorry.

alscjo January 15 2014 at 1:21 PM

I refuse to be on facebook. Had an account for awhile, mostly to play a game there. Their privacy issues finally were too much for me and I deleted my account a couple of years ago. A few months ago the Huffington Post made it MANDATORY to use facebook to "verify" your credentials. No other way to do it period. Sadly I left there too after many years. Now, its within any companies right to choose how they run their business just as its within anybodies rights to not do business with them. I choose the later. I know the few pennies the Huff. lost from advertizing that they don't get from me doesn't amount to much but if enough people would say "ENOUGH" and quit going to sites that coerce you into things maybe that would change. These ladies are free to do that,imho, and go to MySpace or any of the other social sites that seem to be multiplying like rabbits. If facebook or any other site does not suit you then LEAVE.

welcome cathy alscjo January 15 2014 at 1:24 PM

I'm with you, enjoy commenting on h.p. but no more .. didn't open a facebook so they said no go...

kritteracres welcome cathy January 15 2014 at 1:33 PM

I also left HP after their rule we had to use Facebook or not be able to post there. It will be a cold day in you know where, before I'll use Facebook. What "verifying" our credentials have to do with FB is beyond me!

Flag +1 rate up
Chris alscjo January 15 2014 at 1:40 PM

Amen, I refuse to have a facebook account. Never have, never will. People rely on social media and texting too much. There is not enough verbal and physical interaction between people these days. I almost always refuse to text. What ever happend to calling people or knocking on their front door?

Vadim A. January 15 2014 at 11:55 AM

Geez, we're reading stories on banned Facebook pages now? My post was deleted on HuffPo, please, do a story on that too.

isham4bass January 15 2014 at 1:26 PM

ALL I CAN SAY IS.....
IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT...DON'T LOOK AT IT....
THERE IS NOTHING SHOWING THAT WOULD EVEN BE CONSIDERED AS A NUDITY PICTURE.
I HAVE SEEN A LOT WORSE IN " VICTORIA'S SECRET "..... BUT I HEAR NO CLAMOR ABOUT THOSE PICS.
WHAT I WANT TO KNOW IS... WHO MADE THE DECISION'S TO BLOCK HER... AND WHAT IS THEIR RIGHT TO DO SO ?
I AM JUST AS SURE...THAT SOMEONE WOULD FIND A FAT MAN.... JUST AS BAD...AND GET REPORTED ALSO...BUT WHO HAS THE RIGHT TO BLOCK IT?
PANTIES AND A BRA ARE DIFFERENT FROM A BIKINI...HOW?
HAS .... FACEBOOK...BECOME THE HITLER REGIME OF THE 21ST CENTURY? MAYBE

jocelynfanger isham4bass January 15 2014 at 1:33 PM

Facebook is a third-party site and can make up any rules it wants. Solution: Get your own website!

mbe5016 January 15 2014 at 11:49 AM

If people have flagged them as inappropriate, she needs to make them available to only select people. Photos that are flagged by the public as inappropriate are deleted by facebook. THOSE are the rules and THAT is the criteria. Live with it or, make adjustments to your "sharing" settings, or quit facebook. Simple.

jrgordon47 January 15 2014 at 1:29 PM

Boycott Facebook...Who do they think they are? You can't even make comments anymore with out having to log into them.

heyheyjude January 15 2014 at 11:55 PM

This infuriates me beyond belief, not because of the subject matter at hand, but due to the hundreds of photos and/or videos of dogs literally being beaten and tortured that have appeared in my news feeds. These are NOT photoshopped. I have also reported pics of mothers with their children, mothers who don't even deserve that title due to what they were doing. Not once has Facebook taken any action other than to send me a generic response, stating they did not deem the content inappropriate. When someone is beating a dog or abusing a child, what IS now I considered inappropriate? Now I come to check my mail and read this news article on something so ridiculous that would much better be spent on issues that really deserve social attention and intervention? And we wonder what's wrong with the world today. The only reason I'm taking the time to write this is out of hope that you will report (or continue to) any cruelty you see, that Facebook obviously deems as extra work for them; if enough of us "speak out", things could change! Sorry, and thank you.

ladyfawne heyheyjude January 16 2014 at 12:26 AM

THANK YOU!

rvheaney January 15 2014 at 1:33 PM

If you don't like what Facebook is doing too you post your photos in another place !

mike rvheaney January 15 2014 at 1:49 PM

if you don't like free dome go live in rusha

abjtaj1 mike January 15 2014 at 1:53 PM

Facebook has the right to manage their business forum. FB is not a citizens right, it is a
Social Media forum that give many a "free" platform for business launches. It is not a
"Right" it is a Social Option.

Flag 0 rate up
kilmoon January 15 2014 at 9:12 PM

They allow all sorts of foul language on facebook, but won't allow this!!