Facebook pulls post-birth body & baby pictures, moms fight back

Facebook Pulls Post-Birth Body & Baby Photos, Moms Fight Back

The 4th Trimester Bodies Project in Chicago is demanding answers from Facebook after its social media page was pulled from the site.

WGN reports that the project may be deemed 'too sexy' for Facebook: the project has been blocked at least a half dozen times, sometimes for hours, days or weeks. Facebook eventually pulled the page and deleted it, all because people flagged the photos as 'inappropriate.'

Ashlee Wells Jackson is the owner and photographer behind the photodocumentary, and she's stunned by the backlash over photos she's captured of moms and their bouncing babies.

Jackson says 'the problem for us is the double standard. We have not broken any of their rules. Every photo, every image, every link, every story that we've posted has fully abided by their terms and conditions in their community standards.'

At first, Jackson thought that photos showing bare baby bottoms could have been the problem. Then, she saw ads approved by Facebook for baby products that have the exact same images she shows on her site. She's tried repeatedly to reach out to Facebook, but she's only gotten 'radio silence.'

The 4th Trimester Bodies Project is an ongoing photodoc created by photographer and mother Ashlee Wells Jackson. This project is dedicated to embracing the beauty inherent in the changes brought to our bodies by motherhood, childbirth and breastfeeding.

'When I'm blocked on Facebook, I'm blocked on all my pages,' Jackson explains. 'It's put a work stoppage and had a really big ripple effect on business and my life.'

What do you think? Share your feelings in the comments.

betty_brock January 15 2014 at 1:08 PM

I've seen a lot worse on prime time TV.

teffersmom January 15 2014 at 11:58 AM

I dont care to see breast feeding moms... which is why I don't go on those pages. But I also dont like having to deal with friends who want to post those pics. I see nothing wrong with doing this but I dont want to share the experience. Sorry.

JasonC8702 January 15 2014 at 11:59 AM

What people don't seem to understand is that no one has the "right" to be on Facebook at all, or the "right" to put up whatever they want.

Facebook is a private, for-profit company. It's theirs. They can do with it as they wish, display what they wish, and ban whomever and whatever they wish. You might not like it, but it's definitely their prerogative.

I personally don't find anything at all offensive about these pictures (or attractive either, frankly), but Facebook is PERFECTLY within their rights to remove them or anything else that they choose.

It's certainly not a First Amendment or free speech thing at all. Facebook is certainly not saying "You can't show these pictures!" They are simply saying "WE'RE not going to show these pictures FOR you." Perfectly within their right.

If these people are running a business or a professional advocacy organization, they need to create their own website, not latch on to Facebook.

I personally find it a little sad that people have become so narcissistic that they feel the need to share every minutiae of their lives on social media... and so pompous that they think everyone else is interested. Is anyone REALLY thrilled to get to look at someone ELSE's baby pictures? People oooo and coo, but really most people don't care. Most people might say "Oh I just love kids!" What they really mean is they love THEIR kids, most don't really give a flip about YOURS, honestly. Which is as it should be.

cskl JasonC8702 January 15 2014 at 12:06 PM

I will not ever join Facebook. Who needs it !!

griff414 JasonC8702 January 15 2014 at 12:14 PM

Are you a lawyer? You seem to know everything there is to know about Facebook and their rights. It's not about narcissism or sharing minutiae. It's about people celebrating life. If you can't understand that, then I feel for you.

JasonC8702 griff414 January 15 2014 at 1:49 PM

It may very well be about celebrating life, but if so it is indeed doing it in a "Hey look at me" narcissistic way. It's these people that I actually feel for, the ones who require this "Please look at me and tell me I'm ok" validation to feel good about themselves. I suppose when they get older these are the same type of people who buy the "Ask me about my grandchildren" bumper stickers and actually expect people to inquire. Most people are to a degree self-centered. I am. You probably are. Most people reading these posts are. There's nothing really wrong with that. It only gets weird when you expect OTHER people to be as interested in and care as much about your life as YOU are and do. Which is indeed, narcissistic.

And no, not a lawyer. And so what if I were? Were there be a problem with that?

Flag 0 rate up
IAmTheWalru January 15 2014 at 11:07 PM

Yet when I report a video of a guy making fun of mentally handicapped people, I'm told it doesn't violate their "community standards."
Facebook needs to get their **** together.

jacobsgold January 15 2014 at 12:07 PM

There is something strange about the number women that have to show their bodies off to the world. Facebook makes the rules because they own it. Don't like the rules, then go somewhere else to show off.

powermetal38 jacobsgold January 15 2014 at 12:19 PM

Perfectly said jacobsgold

hey January 15 2014 at 1:51 PM

facebook is right ,is there nothing that some people cant wait to show, have some dignity, next they will want to share how their little darling was conceived isn't that cute. if I never see another female in labor on the tv it will still be top soon. I had children and while I might want my relatives tp see their photos I did not want the whole country to see them grow

pegmail hey January 15 2014 at 2:03 PM

I don't think Facebook is forcing you to look at anything you don't want to so what is the problem?

diobuca January 15 2014 at 12:13 PM

this is small vocal groups telling the majority what to do. If you don't like their page don't Like them. Plain and simple.

sharkington1 January 15 2014 at 1:42 PM

I closed my facebook acct. 2 yrs ago because I could care less where your having dinner or how much more comfortable you are this winter with your new fur covered toilet seat cover!

jsanto7134 sharkington1 January 15 2014 at 1:57 PM

Wow, how sad. I've helped cheer my 7th grade teacher through cancer, found a best friend that I had when I was five, and introduced people who developed friendships.

sharkington1 jsanto7134 January 15 2014 at 3:11 PM

WOW, how special. Let us all join hands now and sing cumbayah.....

Flag +1 rate up
Arnie Neiss January 15 2014 at 1:41 PM

What exactly is the real problem here? Anyone who recalls the actual origins of Facebook would say that Mark Z and his staff have sold out to Wall Street. That's ok, when Facebook gets too prim and proper for the younger generation...like now, some 15 year old whiz kid will ascend the throne with the latest social media brainstorm sporting an edgy name like "...Smackchat (TM)..." and that will have a good run for a few years until Yahoo or Wall Street ponies up $5 billion....and the cycle repeats....

Vadim A. January 15 2014 at 11:55 AM

Geez, we're reading stories on banned Facebook pages now? My post was deleted on HuffPo, please, do a story on that too.

World Series