Want to quit your job? New app does it for you via text message

(Reuters) - Thinking about quitting your job? A humorous new app aims to relieve the stress and anxiety of confronting the boss with the news by sending a text message instead.

Although the new iPhone app is meant to be funny, its creators are hoping it will take off and people will use it to leave jobs.

The Quit Your Job app takes users through a series of steps to determine why they are leaving and then crafts a text message that is sent directly to their boss.

"Despite all the advances in technology we still quit our jobs the same way we did hundreds of year ago," said Alex Douzet, chief executive officer of TheLadders, a New York-based employment company that produces the app.

"There's a lot of anxiety around the resignation process, so we used technology to ease the pain in that moment and make it seamless to breakup with your boss," he added.

About 2.3 million Americans left their jobs last October, citing reasons such as dissatisfaction with career growth, compensation or simply feeling unrecognized, according to the most recent figures from the U.S. Department of Labor.

Douzet said the first few months of a new year are the busiest time for job searches. Many people wait for their end-of-year bonuses before making a move to a new position.

"It always correlates with New Year's resolutions. People think 'I'm not happy and want to make a move'" he said.

Quit Your Job was inspired by another app called BreakupText. Its designers teamed up with the TheLadders to create the new app.

BreakupText, which lets users leave their significant others via a text message, costs 99 cents and is available for the iPhone.

With Quit Your Job, after sending their resignation users can browse open positions on another app called, Job Search by TheLadders, which targets positions based on the user's job profile and career goals. The free app was launched as an iPhone app in July and released on Android last week.

"This is unchartered territory," he said of the Quit Your Job app. "It's an experiment to see if people will actually use it seriously. If thousands of people download the app and only one ends up using it seriously, that's interesting because it's changing behaviors," he said.

Douzet added that before leaving a job people should have another one lined up.

"It's more appealing to know you're in demand. You'll have more power and leverage since you already have a pay check coming in," he explained.

vf31rules January 13 2014 at 10:10 AM

I've left several jobs for dissatisfaction with the company. I've always written my letter of resignation, handed it to my Boss, watched them read it, thanked them for the opportunity, shaken their hand and left (always giving a two week notice). What's so hard about that? Face to face. I don't like talking to people but quitting requires the "in person" touch.

komivesdd vf31rules January 13 2014 at 7:33 PM

Yes, taking the high road is preferred by I took the high road and they still cheated me out of some acrued compensatory time. What misers!

metalman9780 January 13 2014 at 7:23 PM

I can only speak for myself but anybody can do like a girl on a dating site and hide behind a lcd screen, personally I'd rather look them in the eye and tell them take this job and shove it. Face to face. I think someone using this app is yellow.

feeling loved? January 13 2014 at 7:01 PM

Nothing can replace "**** YOU"

komivesdd feeling loved? January 13 2014 at 7:30 PM

The universal joyful statement!

bruceeisermann January 14 2014 at 2:28 AM

I haven't quit many jobs. However I believe this. When I went through the application process, I did it live, face to face. I therefore believe, the resignation process should be done in the same manner.

WARNERS January 13 2014 at 11:23 AM

just one more divice in this day and age that will destroy us all, we cant even chat anymore face to face, i feel so sorry for the younger gen. these kids arent going to have any type of social grace at all, and when confronted with it, they will tuck thier tails and run, its a sad sad old world were creating.

suemarney January 13 2014 at 2:39 PM

It is okay for employers to require you to apply online, to do phone interviews, so why not be able to quit via text or app.

Tracey L. McNeel January 13 2014 at 1:30 PM

Quit one's job, how about storming out of the inner City and slamming their vile black steeled gates in all their faces and telling them...you figure it out, You're kind of leaderships have not only led to much human sacrifice, but also has proven to be the Butt of all jokes.

JOHN January 13 2014 at 7:52 PM

I had a coworker ask me if they should give 2 weeks notice. I told them if it was me,
" I'd give them 2 weeks to notice I was gone"

ncinkman January 13 2014 at 2:34 PM

I once quit a job by emailing the boss of my resignation.

dontruck897 January 13 2014 at 1:49 PM

working long hrs.less pay they always want more from you it always about the company what can you do for them at a cheap price and sometimes it a free because you think you might get some payback later guess again they with ask you to do it again for nothing i know it happen to me all the time but i need the job stop kissing ass it not to help you