'American Idol' Making Changes

PASADENA, Calif. (AP) - The producers of "American Idol" say the show's new season includes changes to freshen it, including expanded song choices for contestants.

Executive producer Per Blankens said Monday that after tending toward a fair amount of golden oldies, the show's song list will add more current tunes that the young contestants can relate to.

Executive producer Trish Kinane says former judge Randy Jackson's new role will include leading a workshop that helps contestants deal with vocal and other challenges.

The talent contest also will introduce a "rush week" that precedes the Hollywood week auditions.

But Kinane told the Television Critics Association the series is still essentially "American Idol."

Fox's program enters its 13th season Wednesday with declining ratings and competition in the talent genre from NBC's "The Voice."

Is American Idol Moving To New York?

Hi January 14 2014 at 10:24 AM

The only way I'd watch that show again is fi they brought those guys back that they sent packing last year so they could force a girl win (nothing against Candice Glover), but they did do Johnny Keyser so, soooo wrong.

Flower January 14 2014 at 4:09 PM

It may have a chance if it is not all about the judges this season. Also you can't keep telling hopefuls how wonderful they if they only had talent.

bbqman5226 January 14 2014 at 1:51 PM

I would like to see an end to the un-tallented contestants. Being able to see more of the ones with some reasonalble amount of tallent.

Phyl January 14 2014 at 1:47 PM

Am anxious to see AI and the new judges...it is not better than The Voice, but better than XFactor. I watch all three because they are so much better than all the rape, murder an mayhem in the cop shows. Those shows are not entertainment....AI, The Voice and XFactory are entertainment shows.

Carol January 14 2014 at 1:34 PM

I used to watch American Idol when it was a new show, but stopped once the judges became the show and the contestants were just used as "filler." Bye bye American I.

rogerbuddha January 14 2014 at 11:33 AM

ONE THING I SEE, THAT HURTS AMERICAN IDOL--LETTING PEOPLE VOTE MORE THAN ONCE.

fretplayer rogerbuddha January 14 2014 at 11:48 AM

I agree, I think they just want to be able to say look at all the votes we got, but one vote per person would be more representative of how the public feels, right now whoever the teenie bopper girls like is going to win

epalmerjr rogerbuddha January 14 2014 at 1:37 PM

HOW TRUE

Dissie January 14 2014 at 12:54 PM

I have followed IDOL faithfully for the last six years but I was totally digusted with this past season.
The childish spats and behavior between Ms. Minag and Ms. Carey did nothing for the show. If the producers thought this brought interest and viewers, then I am watching the wrong show. Just get on with the competition and leave this drama for the soaps. It was unbecoming, sleazy at times, and irrelevant, often leaving contestants not knowing how to respond. In my opinion, you stooped to a new low and it was boring and cheap and causes people to not take it very seriously. These young people are seriously talented and you are demeaning them instead of respecting them. On the other hand, I found just the opposite on The Voice. You need to back up, and take a page from another's notebook. I will watch the opening and if I see more of the same, you have lost me as a fan.

blueeyessing Dissie January 14 2014 at 12:58 PM

"The childish spats and behavior between Ms. Minag and Ms. Carey did nothing for the show. "

***************

I have not figured out yet if that was all a put-on for publicity or not, but yes....dumb. I don't think that will happen this season with Harry, Keith, and J Lo. It is better to have ony three judges also because time always runs out.

Melisa January 14 2014 at 5:59 AM

I can't wait for the new season to begin. None of the other "singing" shows are as good in my opinion. If you don't like it then don't watch it, but give it a chance. You can't help but pick out a favorite and vote. Proud to say last season's winner is from my state of S.C. What a talent!! I will miss Randy, but I'm glad Jennifer and Keith are back. And Harry C. Jr. should be good too, he has a really good sense of humor.

petpetdon January 14 2014 at 6:17 AM

American Idol would be much better if they didn't allow anyone under the age of 18 to vote. 12 year old boys vote for the cute girls, 12 year old girls vote for the cute guys.

cdjcn petpetdon January 14 2014 at 8:16 AM

That's who has the phones though.

poolcue1950 January 14 2014 at 8:15 AM

STILL A GREAT SHOW .WITH JAYLOW BACK AND KEITH ,MAYBE SIMON WILL COME BACK TO .