AOL.com
AOL.com
AOL.com

'American Idol' Making Changes

PASADENA, Calif. (AP) - The producers of "American Idol" say the show's new season includes changes to freshen it, including expanded song choices for contestants.

Executive producer Per Blankens said Monday that after tending toward a fair amount of golden oldies, the show's song list will add more current tunes that the young contestants can relate to.

Executive producer Trish Kinane says former judge Randy Jackson's new role will include leading a workshop that helps contestants deal with vocal and other challenges.

The talent contest also will introduce a "rush week" that precedes the Hollywood week auditions.

But Kinane told the Television Critics Association the series is still essentially "American Idol."

Fox's program enters its 13th season Wednesday with declining ratings and competition in the talent genre from NBC's "The Voice."

Is American Idol Moving To New York?

More From You

171 Comments
*0 / 3000 Character Maximum
Filter by:
Just-In-Time January 15 2014 at 12:12 PM

I am excited about the three judges. Good combination!

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
witchdocb January 15 2014 at 12:05 PM

please say it is going away. that would be the best thing that can happen to that useless show.

Reply Flag as Abusive -1 rate up rate down
Jaci January 15 2014 at 11:30 AM

bring back the orignal 3,,,,,,,,,simon randy paula......

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
muuman January 15 2014 at 10:52 AM

I think with those few changes and the judges now on hand the show will be what is once was. I believe that the judges will be critiquing the contestants on their musicality. Like the judges on the Sing Off.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
TLee934954 January 15 2014 at 10:33 AM

Hands down American Idol is the best! I'm so glad they have the right mix for judges. It will be fun
and none of that low class antics of former divas on the show. This show is about the kids, NOT the judges. That's why I don't like Simon's show. It seems more about them than the kids.

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
Phil January 15 2014 at 10:19 AM

Its still the best of the music shows, x factor has the nice simon and its boring and unwatchable and I have never fully watched a voice episode because I lose interest and get the creeps from it, Idol on the other hand is a good show and retains my interest, maria and nicky were terrible and needed to go, but I think with new judges the show will return to its old form, the voice on the other hand is just bad

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
Cindy January 15 2014 at 10:12 AM

I once was a fan of the show. I voted for Kelly Clarkson and Carrie underwood and Ruben Stoddard.
But the judges I knew are gone and more recent judges have made it about themselves, not the contestants.
Time to cancell this show.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
Fred January 15 2014 at 8:59 AM

The only good change is to take it off the air, it has become slap stick comedy. I mean they can only make so many faces per contestant..

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
1 reply to Fred's comment
MAMMSY January 15 2014 at 9:16 AM

dont watch

Reply Flag as Abusive +2 rate up rate down
Bobbi January 15 2014 at 8:58 AM

the voting is all messed up. That's why no one wants to watch. Just a bunch of teeny boppers voting for the cutest instead of the real talent.

Reply Flag as Abusive +2 rate up rate down
billcdaly January 15 2014 at 8:19 AM

Show became all about the judges and the ratings dropped accordingly.

Reply Flag as Abusive +4 rate up rate down