Sam Berns, Mass. boy whose premature aging inspired film, dies

Sam Berns, Teen With Rare Aging Disease, Dies At 17

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. (AP) -- A Massachusetts boy with a rare genetic condition that accelerates the aging process and who became the subject of an HBO documentary has died. Sam Berns was 17.

Berns, of Foxborough, died Friday after complications from progeria (pro-JEER'-ee-uh). The Progeria Research Foundation announced his death.

Berns was diagnosed with progeria at 22 months. His parents founded the nonprofit foundation after encountering a lack of information and research on the fatal condition, whose victims live an average of 13 years.

New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft mourned Berns' death, saying he had invited him to be the team's honorary captain for Saturday night's playoff game and was looking forward to spending time with him.

Berns was the subject of an HBO documentary last year called "Life According to Sam."

spokajo January 13 2014 at 10:45 PM

May his "Beautiful, Young Soul" soar through eternal happiness with his loving creator and experience every marvelous thing there is over and above what he missed here on earth. He was (is) and inspiration to us all. REST- IN- Peace!!!!, and prepare heaven for all your loved ones who will join you at some time in the future, (what a reunoin that will be!!).

trekkienut January 13 2014 at 10:54 PM

How sad. RIP Sam you gave it a good fight

lynne619 January 13 2014 at 10:04 PM

This was one amazing kid!! I so appreciated the HBO documentary about him, as well as his and his parents' appearance on Katie Couric's show. So inspiring and moving. A truly "old soul" who has left his mark on the world. God Bless Sam and his wonderful parents!! Wishing success for the ongoing research speared by Sam's mom. :(

bstsisy January 14 2014 at 12:52 AM

Inspirational young man. You will be miss Sam.

syv33 January 13 2014 at 9:14 PM

Sam, you reminded me to count my blessings, cherish my loved ones, and be grateful for every day I am given. Thank you for that because sometimes I forget. Rest in peace.

Jim Anderson January 13 2014 at 8:33 PM

As a former Foxboro resident, my adopted home town, I know that the PEOPLE of Foxboro and the surrounding communities made Sam's life a treasure. Sam, YOu are an inspiration to ALL whose life you touched. We love you!!!

runslo January 13 2014 at 7:35 PM

Sam -- May you have under your heavenly Christmas tree all the things you never got to do.

syv33 runslo January 13 2014 at 8:52 PM

What a sweet sentiment. Well said.

spokajo runslo January 13 2014 at 10:48 PM

Very nicely put!!! One can on;y rejoice in his life and grace.

Kate January 13 2014 at 5:37 PM

I am so very sorry. I wish he could have lived long enough to be at that game, but I know the team was very generous to him while he was alive.

mbmiller041 January 13 2014 at 5:26 PM

Condolences to the family and all of Sam's fans and friends worldwide.

chattysparrow January 13 2014 at 5:59 PM

I don't think there is anyone who knows about this relentless disease or listened to Sam express his oh so positive views.. that should ever be anything but greatful for the Health they have..I am 64..I look back to when I was 17 and if I had died then..how much of this wonderful life I would have missed..travel after education...getting married...children, grandchildren, great grands..growing old with my wonderful spouse..traveling in my stress free later years to see all the sights on this beautiful earth..Sam missed so much when he left..and I dare think of the tremendous contributions he may have made to society..rest in peace dear sweet brave Sam.ill always remember your wonderful attitude and courage...heaven is so lucky to have you!!!!

spokajo chattysparrow January 13 2014 at 10:50 PM

LUCKY INDEED!!!! Heaven is there for just this reason, to accept him and give him eternal joy.